JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know of any reason that two of the same model, same make (Kimber Ultras) complete slides, one in 9mm, the second in 45, could not be swapped (complete slide to complete frame) provided they dry fire function tests smoothly? Kimber says "we don't recommend it", but can give me no reason why it wouldn't work except to say the slide and frame are "hand fitted".
Yes the parts are matched then function checked at the factory and shipped if they function check. Mine function check with the swap too, hence my question.:confused:
Thanks,
Semper Fi

Last Edited:
You're saying that each barrel is fitted to it's respective slide? If so and the mags lock in and you can successfully cycle rounds through without firing then go ahead and shoot.

I've done this several different ways swapping between Colt 9mm and .45 Commander parts as well as between Government model parts in .45acp and 9mm Super.

Basically if the slide fits the frame well enough to run full length and you're not using a new barrel that's never been fitted or headspaced you'll be good to go with a possible loss of accuracy in one or the other configuration.

No manufacturer would recommend anything like this because they don't control what all a silly customer might try and they'd be putting themselves at a legal risk if something nasty were to happen and the shooter claims that he or she was told it's OK by someone representing the manufacturer.

Yes, each slide, bbl., etc.is a complete fitted unit. The mags fit the frame, bbl. swap combinations fit properly, and everything function tests smoothly.
Thank you for the information, I had come to the same conclusion but wanted the benefit of someone else's experience and expertise before I went to the range. Because the accuracy comes from the top end and the functioning comes from the addition of the frame it would seem to me that the swap shouldn't affect the accuracy provided the swap functioned properly.
Thanks very much.
Semper Fi

Don't forget the feed ramp on a 1911 is in the frame. And they are ammo specific for some MFG's.
You can alter a barrel and possibly make it work. Or the feed angle may not provide proper feeding for a different round?
But the feed angle is set in the frame.

Don't forget the feed ramp on a 1911 is in the frame. And they are ammo specific for some MFG's.
You can alter a barrel and possibly make it work. Or the feed angle may not provide proper feeding for a different round?
But the feed angle is set in the frame.

I swapped the complete slide and bbl back and forth between the 9mm and the 45 and the combinations worked perfectly.
Thanks for all the input.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads