JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just picked up a Marlin .45-70 (SS, 18"+, scout scope rail, aperture rear sight, etc.) and finally got the chance to step out onto my porch and see what happens when I pull that trigger.

I had one before with a longer barrel, but I never shot it because I wanted to cut the barrel or get a shorter octagon barrel on it. I sold that here as NIB.

This one is pretty darn close to what I want (an octagon barrel would be nice but they don't come that way out of the factory with a short barrel).

So anyway, I put ac couple of Hornady Leverevolution 325gr flex points through it - at about 1900 fps from the shorter barrel (2050 from a 24" barrel). Feeds well. Pushes pretty good on my shoulder, but felt like very little muzzle rise. Quite controllable actually.

That said, a 325 grain at 1900 fps isn't a heavy load - decent, but heavy. There are loads that push a 400+ gr. bullet almost as fast.

I didn't buy this rifle for the puny deer I see in my back yard. That 325 load would probably be okay for black bear or a good shot at an elk (maybe even a shot at a bad angle), but I could take them with any of my .308 or .30-06 rifles (I have my dad's .30-06 and he took elk just about every other year of his adult life, while I skunked the half dozen times I tried).

Not that I absolutely need a buffalo gun - I watched a video of a guy instantly dropping a big bison bull with one properly placed shot - from a .30-30. And I have seen them taken with .30-06 class rifles. But I would not mind doing a bison hunt (a real hunt, not driving up on them and taking them from a rest on a pickup). I am also thinking of doing some pig hunting after I retire.

So - my shoulder was sore for the rest of the afternoon. I am not a small guy - 6'6" & 260#, but I am not heavily muscled either, and I injured my shoulder when I was a kid and it is pretty easy to throw it out again.

So I am thinking something like a Holland style brake (looks like a compensator). But I don't want to shorten the tube mag, and the barrel only sticks out maybe 3/8" past the end of the mag tube - so not sure there is enough room there to thread and attach a brake.

I wonder if there is anybody out there that will EDM in that kind of large port brake right into the end of a barrel?

The rifle has a decent buttpad on it

Try some 405 gr. Buffalo Bores in it if you want a religious experience!!
The early Guide Gun versions came ported, but I don't know how much it helped. Perhaps Marlin would do that style porting on your gun??

3 years in a row now and I have killed 3 bull elk with mine. Best dang timber elk rifle I've used or have seen used.

I do not like anything under 350 gr. To much recoil. I can reload some hot 405s that have more of a push recoil, where the 300-325s, (mild load) have a very very snappy recoil and a lot more muzzle rise.

Don't bubby up the gun. Just run it as is. Maybe a trigger job...

The factory porting never really helped to much. You don't need much thread to install a break like this. .375 - .500 is fine. And recoil reduction knocks it down to less than half. You think your shooting a different rifle.
IMG_4248.PNG

I had a Break/Port done kinda like Velzey shows on My Stainless XLR and the difference is quite something! It feels like a mild .308! I use mine a lot for big bear and most times it's a back up, but it has done very well when called on! Makes an awesome Moose Rifle as well! Combined with a good trigger and better sights and it's a winner all round! I would recommend this to any one with a .45/70!

The factory porting never really helped to much. You don't need much thread to install a break like this. .375 - .500 is fine. And recoil reduction knocks it down to less than half. You think your shooting a different rifle.
View attachment 324095
Thank you

I assume that is probably some kind of internal thread. That would work, except I would prefer not to have any ports on the underside.

I have owned/shot a number of ported/comp'd handguns - mostly magnums.

IMO the most effective for recoil reduction is this kind:

m_kallal_460v8.jpg

For muzzle rise, I prefer the "hybrid" comp which is a series of holes in the top of the barrel:

hybridnortop.jpg

I once had two G21s, one with this kind of comp and one without. Everybody who shot both could immediately tell the difference in muzzle rise. That said, everybody on the range could also immediately know which gun I was shooting by the significant increase in sound. This was back when Glocks were mostly 9mm and some would come over asking what cartridge I was shooting - think this was some new magnum Glock. :D

In general, my take on porting and comps is that the larger the port the more gas can go through it, making it more effective. The further down the barrel the more leverage it had on the barrel for muzzle rise. Notice the hybrid comp ports above increase in size towards the end of the barrel.

Most Magnaporting I have seen on handguns are small longitudinal ports on top of the barrel - this may be somewhat effective for muzzle rise but much less effective for recoil.

If I understand the physics of what is happening correctly, the gases need to be somewhat directed to the rear to be effective for recoil and/or have some forward surface to push against.

Won't lightening the rifle increase felt recoil?

Yes it will.

I am aware of the pros and cons, yet another reason why I would want a brake. I have a 329PD that is literally a pain to shoot, but I chose it for the much lighter weight. I have a Marlin .30-30 carbine too and it is a much lighter rifle (naturally) and I would be more inclined to hunt with it due to the lighter weight.

The laminated stock on the 1895 is heavier than conventional wood stock. I like the appearance, but the fore-end on Marlins is thicker than I prefer and the whole rifle is a tad on the heavy side for a carbine (8 pounds) albeit a large caliber carbine.

Overall, I don't think shaving a few ounces off the rifle will make it intolerable. I do intend to add optics to it - a pistol scope mounted forward in the Scout Scope configuration, which - at 13 ounces - will more than make up for any weight I remove from the rifle itself. I don't want to end up with a 10 pound carbine - I would like to keep it at 8 pounds or lighter.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top