JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Need a little help fellas. I got a bunch of bullets in a "deal" recently and am looking for some help loading them. I have zero info on them with the exception of weight. They weigh out at just under 420 grains and are actually a tad smaller than my OTLC 405 grainers. The crimp groove to top distance is the same. I use a lot of Trail Boss powder and I'm thinking I can just start at the bottom load for my 405's and work up? Any thing to be aware of with them only having one lube ring? Any other suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

IMG_1024.jpg

The single lube ring isn't a problem if a.) the lube is decent, and b.) they are sized approximate to your bore. Shoot 'em and see.

As for trailboss - you didn't mention the rifle (trapdoor, marlin, etc.) but start here: <broken link removed>

The only thing I see is that he "single lube ring" bullet may have more bearing surface which could lead to higher pressures. Again, back to rule number one of reloading, work a load "up" by starting lower than what you've used before. In the end they may perform the same, with the same loads, but it's always best to be safe. By your statement, it definitely appears that you've grasped that concept.

You should have slugged your bore by now and measured the bullet diameter. One, one thousandth larger on the bullet is usually best for fit to the bore. If the fit to bore is good and if it is soft cast lead or swagged soft lead, Keep it under 1000 FPS. You will see none or less leading of the barrel this way.
It does not look to me to be a Quality cast Boolit. I cast my own lead boolits they are sized to fit the barrels exactly .001 larger than the bore, in most cases, and I know the hardness and temper of the lead ahead of time. If this is of a hard lead combination and properly built the bevel base bullet you have still has no gas check and we may not know the fit to bore. It can travel faster but if to fat in diameter it can cause pressure problems fast. Also not knowing the hardness level, Leading at any speed would be my concern so work them up slow after you slug the bore and measure the bullets diameter.

Thanks fellas. I have slugged my 1895 SBL and these are fine for the bore. I agree that they don't seem great quality and will definitely keep them under 1000 fps. I have a few hundred of them and at this point just plan to use them for shooting some reactive steel that I have. I'll most likely use either Unique or Trail Boss at the low end as I have a bunch of those two powders.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top