JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a great love of 1911 pistols but honestly not all are good - some are fine to go for the average individual right out of the box, others take some degree of effort to run well. The problem that I see is that choosing a 1911 is like choosing a religion - only you can do that. I like kimbers - others knock them, mim parts, swartz firing pin safety. Others like Springfield Armory, STI, Para ordinance and Colt. There are a lot of companies making 1911's today. Considering this a 100 year old design there must be something to it. Then you have those that dont like 1911's and choose a rubbermaid handgun ( yeah I know - poking the tiger ). Respectfully you need to detemine what you plan to do with this pistol; plinker, self defense, concealed carry or simply starting to collect. 1911's in general are not a cheap pistol , yes there are some reasonably priced ones - you need to make the call. There is a wide gambit of price - starting from around 500$ going to several thousand. If it was my brother buying his first 1911 - I would point him at a Kimber Custom II or a Springfield Armory 1911 NM loaded ( government models ). Both are withing a 100$ of each other.

There are a lot of people on this board with more knowledge than my self - now you need to do some research and ask some questions.

Respectfully
James Ruby

Welcome to the forum. James Ruby is right about a 1911 being a very personal choice.
Most important rule of all - It has to feel good and feel right. Of course you will need a 1911 for that to happen.

The make/model that will go bang every time the trigger is pulled. Has enough accuracy to hit anything at will at reasonable ranges. Able to be taken down with no, or very little amount of tools. And will last many thousands of rounds.

The one you practice with continuely. 50rds aweek or more.
You must become one and friends.
The 45 is a tool. A master learns all it's tricks, and idiotsyncrasy. He become a prefectionist using it.

Yoda would be proud.....

in terms of accuracy and reliability, there will be very little difference between a $700 Kimber Custom and a $3000 Wilson. In terms of parts quality, fitting and finishing, the difference is wide and readily apparent. There's a lot of good value in the middle.

Do you want a solid functional 1911 or do you want a solid functional pretty 1911 ? Do you care for checkering or smooth frontstraps ? Do you like fixed or adjustable sights ? Black, stainless, two tone finish ?

The options are endless, it makes as much sense as asking what car is the best

Yoda would be proud.....

in terms of accuracy and reliability, there will be very little difference between a $700 Kimber Custom and a $3000 Wilson. In terms of parts quality, fitting and finishing, the difference is wide and readily apparent. There's a lot of good value in the middle.

Do you want a solid functional 1911 or do you want a solid functional pretty 1911 ? Do you care for checkering or smooth frontstraps ? Do you like fixed or adjustable sights ? Black, stainless, two tone finish ?

The options are endless, it makes as much sense as asking what car is the best

well...reliable is the most important...looks aren't everything but may help...lol

I really like the looks of the kimber...but my top picks are Kimber, Springfield and Colt...they are the ones I will choose from. I would like a little higher than middle of the road...High middle would be best. Don't want to spend to little but not huge either.

I have spoke with other friends that have other handguns and they like the look of the Kimber, Changeable parts(Caliber change) with the Springfield and Colt. I think I am more stuck on the Kimber and the Springfield.

Thanks for the info...this has really been helpfull!!!

I've been shooting 1911's for over 12 years and in my experience, you can not beat the fit, finish, parts and custom work found on a Kimber Custom II on same priced Colts or Springfields. The Kimber Custom II comes with lowered and flared ejection port, match grade barrel, match grade bushing, match grade trigger with over travel adjustment, beveled magazine well and front slide serrations.

I picked mine up both of mine used for around $600 each in like new condition, but that was 5 and 13 years ago.

Check out the Public Safety Training Center. I"m pretty sure they have a kimber and a Colt for you to try before you buy. Hell I'll meet you there and you can shoot my Kimber.

<broken link removed>

Ditch Kimber from your list. No 1911 is easier to swap parts on, in theory a 1911 is a 1911. SA and Colt gets you a much better base/starting point then Kimber.

Is this personal opinion or is there evidence of this somehwere? I have found Kimbers to be a well put together gun that I trust. Others including military and police do as well.

James Ruby

I've been shooting 1911's for over 12 years and in my experience, you can not beat the fit, finish, parts and custom work found on a Kimber Custom II on same priced Colts or Springfields. The Kimber Custom II comes with lowered and flared ejection port, match grade barrel, match grade bushing, match grade trigger with over travel adjustment, beveled magazine well and front slide serrations.

I picked mine up both of mine used for around $600 each in like new condition, but that was 5 and 13 years ago.

Check out the Public Safety Training Center. I"m pretty sure they have a kimber and a Colt for you to try before you buy. Hell I'll meet you there and you can shoot my Kimber.

<broken link removed>

Is this personal opinion or is there evidence of this somehwere? I have found Kimbers to be a well put together gun that I trust. Others including military and police do as well.

James Ruby

i've posted the why more than once, but browse this thread/links in it:
Why all the Crap talk about Kimber - AR15.COM

If you buy Kimber's marketing/BS on their "match" parts I'm sorry.

i've posted the why more than once, but browse this thread/links in it:
Why all the Crap talk about Kimber - AR15.COM

If you buy Kimber's marketing/BS on their "match" parts I'm sorry.

What personal experience have you had that indicates that they are bad. Not soemone elses wrioting. I have had three, my dad collects Mccormick and Bauer and Kimber and the one he likes the best is the Kimber Combat Gold II. My freind an old gunsith only has one 45 and that is a kimber. I have never had a problem with one of thier guns have you personally had a problem? Not someone elses epxereince but your own.

I like then so well that I will be buying another within the month - so I am willing to vote with my dollars.

James Ruby

Changeable parts(Caliber change) with the Springfield and Colt. I think I am more stuck on the Kimber and the Springfield.

Well, you can readily change the calibre to .22 by buying a .22 kit, but outside of that, not so much....

Kimber are good value under or at around the $1000 mark. As you go up through their lines, full size, pro, ultra etc you're buying the same gun, with exactly the same parts fitted the same way. With the exception of the Super Match and possibly the Gold Combat, you're getting the same quality gun for $2000 as you are for $695.
The Custom is a solid base, the TLE gives you night sights and checkered frontstrap. Above that all you're paying for is different color finish and different style slide/frontstrap serrations. Once you get above $1300 you're in used Baer, new Dan Wesson territory and I'd take either of those over Kimber.

gun mechanic said:
12 years ago, there was little that could touch Kimber, in that time most competitors have caught up. As Iamme said, match grade is a meaningless marketing term unless you have precision, often hand, fitting of a particular barrel to a particular bushing to a particular slide and those 3 parts stay together. That is not the case with your Kimber. Lowered/flared ports, bevelled mag wells are fairly standard and front slide serrations are a matter of taste.

I have had 11 Kimbers to date, the last was a Super Carry.

I have perosnally only had two customs II and a eclipse II all being government models. Nopthing fnacy but they all worked and I was happy with the product.
I will admit the magazines need a lot to be desired.

James Ruby

Others including military and police do as well.

Tacoma P.D. abandoned the Kimber program sometime ago, as they were getting too expensive to keep running. They still have them, but are phasing them out because of reliability issues.

LAPD SWAT has some, but you can't buy them off the shelf.

Not sure what Military branch uses them, but if they do...again, they aren't the same gun that anyone can buy off the shelf.

Comparing a Kimber in a LE or Military role, is like comparing Jeff Gordons track car to an off the lot Chevrolet...aint the same.
In this comparison, one could plug in any production maker...Colt & Springfield included.

I have several things about the 1911 platform that I spew out now and then, in hopes a few will take them to heart;

Larry Vickers; How does one know if the 1911 is the right choice;
That is a tough question as I feel most people are best served NOT using a 1911 as a primary sidearm. Two criteria come to mind a) A passion for the 1911 platform and b) you are willing to be your own armorer and can fix relatively minor problems or fit certain parts yourself. If you are the kind of guy that doesn't mind tinkering with your Harley Davidson motorcycle to keep it running then you are a candidate. If however you treat your pistols like we all treat our lawnmowers then don't get a 1911 &#8211; use a Glock.

Hilton Yam;
A modern production 1911 typically needs a little gunsmith attention at some point in its life. It is not the same as the GI issue gun that was carefully handcrafted at the Colt factory nearly a century ago. When Colt first started producing the gun way back in the day, they were the only ones making it - their parts, their mags, ammo to their spec. The design has been around for so long that any particular 1911 is now made with parts made to various specs that have wandered away from the original for one reason or another, and is fed with ammo and mags that have similarly changed or evolved. This is the reason why the 1911 does well with tuning by a skilled hand, something that it often does not receive at the modern factory. The gun also needs proper cleaning and maintenance to reach its full potential. Take care of your 1911 and it will do its job for you like nothing else can.

A couple others...

The 1911 is a machine, if its made/set up properly, it'll run, it doesn't have a choice.

Just because its running, doesn't mean its running right. There are many signs that will let you know, but if you're not familiar with them, you may as well be finding your way thru an unfamiliar house in the dark.

Count the many internet/forum stories of 1911's, which all of sudden after many hundreds of rounds start giving problems. The signs were probably there, the owner may not have known what to look for.

The 1911 platform discussion always seems to get the blood pressure up, as I've seen so many ruined by fabled internet talk and folks that write articles with no real comprehension of its workings. Whichever make/model you choose, find a 'smith with a strong passion for the platform to look it over for reliability, and expect/accept nothing less than having them go over the gun with you.

My last words on the matter...the old Snap-On Tools motto;

I'd rather explain the price of quality, than have to apologize for something less.

What personal experience have you had that indicates that they are bad. Not soemone elses wrioting. I have had three, my dad collects Mccormick and Bauer and Kimber and the one he likes the best is the Kimber Combat Gold II. My freind an old gunsith only has one 45 and that is a kimber. I have never had a problem with one of thier guns have you personally had a problem? Not someone elses epxereince but your own.

I like then so well that I will be buying another within the month - so I am willing to vote with my dollars.

James Ruby

I'm guessing that by Bauer you mean Baer. And McCormick was a shooter turned occasional gunsmith, turned parts licensee. If your Dad has a McCormick gun a lot of people would very much like to see it, it 's very rare indeed.
Your dad's personal preference for the GC II is just that, it doesn't prove the inherent quality of anything.
If someone wants to vote with their $2000+ on a new Kimber GC II rather than a Baer, Dan Wesson, gently used Wilson, Nighthawk or Brown, I'm very happy for them and I'm sure that they'll be very happy too.

Which kimber are going to buy this month ?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top