JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The "best" Kimber I ever fired or owned was a Custom TLE II. If that is not their least expensive 1911, it's close. Accurate, reliable and consistent. The Springfield Range Officer represents the best value in a 1911. Adjustable sights and extras only found on "custom" guns. With a price of $750-800, I believe it blows the SA Loaded out of the water as far as bang for your buck. iamme is correct about part-swapping, a 1911 is a 1911. While I don't buy into any "match" parts on an assembly line 1911, the Kimber's that I have owned(both were entry-level models) were great. It would be hard to go wrong with Colt as well. Traditionalists will tell you that Para and their doublestack mag's are sacreligious. I will tell you that in a reliable pistol, 10,12 or 14 rounds will beat 7 in any gunfight. I used to carry 3" or 5" 1911's. They are beautiful guns, but in 2012 there are higher capacity, lighter pistols out there with the same reliability. I believe now that the 1911 is something that every firearms enthusiast should own. Trial and error will be the only way for YOU to decide upon YOUR 1911. Good luck. Kip.

There was a comment made on the LAPD SWAT Kimber TLE's not being available off the shelf. That TLE II that I mentioned in my previous post is the exact pistol carried by the LAPD SWAT. If not, what is the difference? Speaking again of the TLE II, please someone show me a better 1911 for the money. Those Meprolight sights shine in pitch dark. Kip.

There was a comment made on the LAPD SWAT Kimber TLE's not being available off the shelf. That TLE II that I mentioned in my previous post is the exact pistol carried by the LAPD SWAT. If not, what is the difference? Speaking again of the TLE II, please someone show me a better 1911 for the money. Those Meprolight sights shine in pitch dark. Kip.

1) On personal experience- I didn't have to own a US property Colt to know they're valuable, I don't have to own a Yamaha Zuma and an R1 to KNOW the R1 is faster. Logic can come into play.

Hmm with an MSRP of $1k+, Springfield RO or Loaded, STI Spartan or Ranger, Rock Island Loaded.. Basically anything that doesn't say Kimber. As much as I don't want to- should we even mention a gun that uses "custom" in it's names yet has no true custom shop?

Can also bring back up this little nugget:
http://glock.pro/non-glock-firearms/1873-nc-alcohol-law-enforcement-agency-drops-kimber-1911s.html

I'm guessing that by Bauer you mean Baer. And McCormick was a shooter turned occasional gunsmith, turned parts licensee. If your Dad has a McCormick gun a lot of people would very much like to see it, it 's very rare indeed.
Your dad's personal preference for the GC II is just that, it doesn't prove the inherent quality of anything.
If someone wants to vote with their $2000+ on a new Kimber GC II rather than a Baer, Dan Wesson, gently used Wilson, Nighthawk or Brown, I'm very happy for them and I'm sure that they'll be very happy too.

Which kimber are going to buy this month ?

I have been looking at the custom II government model - I had one I traded last year on a PTR91 and would like very much to replace it. I was at the the gun show this last weekend at the expo and I honestly was considering between the Springfield Armory 1911 5" Loaded NM with nght sights and the Kimber Custom II - price on the SA was 809 and I think the custom II was 709 and another 100 for night sights so they came out about even. I have had good luck with Kimbers and feel that I liked the kimpro better than the stainless steel. I am not an expert on 1911's but i have owned and shot them for the last 32 years. I started using and carrying them int he Navy. I have looked at some of these worked over guns on this website for sale and most I find I dont like due to them being messed with already by people I dont know or may not even know what they are doing.

My dad was a tool and die maker for 35 years at Oldsmobile in Lansing Michigan - plant number 3 ( the jet plant ) - he ran the tool and die area. He recommends them and I trust his opion.

James Ruby

Iamme

Thank you - now that I know that you have no personal experience with Kimbers I know what to think of your opinion.

James Ruby

From the guy who says:
My dad was a tool and die maker for 35 years at Oldsmobile in Lansing Michigan - plant number 3 ( the jet plant ) - he ran the tool and die area. He recommends them and I trust his opion.

James Ruby

So a tool and die maker recommends the 1911 with arguably the WORST track record of MIM parts.

From the guy who says:

So a tool and die maker recommends the 1911 with arguably the WORST track record of MIM parts.

Yup he does and I am getting noise from someone that has no personal experience with a kimber - I will trust someone that has owned and shoots kimbers before I will trust someone that has no first hand experience about the topic. I dont know of anyone personally that has had a MIM failure - that doesnt mean it doesnt happen just never seen it. I bet other parts fail as well. Enough said.

James Ruby

I never said anything was wrong with any of those models but with no first hand experience you have no foundation to knock kimbers. Own and shoot one for a while I will gladly listen to what you have to say pertaining to Kimber after that - I might not agree but thats my perogative. I have had many different colts through the years and found them ok, they were plain and pretty ordinary and had a tendency not to feed jhp's.. I like and will put my money on a kimber and feel that they are a good buy. I will probably end up buying another. So here is a honest question - whats the best 1911 in your opinion for under or around 800$ in a new government size pistol with night sights? No philipino or brazilian stuff please. I hear the new Ruger Sr1911 is suppose t be good if you can find them.

My like of kimber comes from repsect for two men that i regard highly who think very highly of Kimber pistols and the fact that I have never had a probelm with a kimber myself. Basically the same reason I bought a Ford F150 . I currently have a Eclipse custom II and would not change a thing on it - maybe ignorance on my part but it goes bang when I pull the trigger and normally hits what I am shooting at. That meets my criteria. I could care less about what they name the pistol.

James Ruby

Actually, for the $750 or so, I stated previously that the Springfield Range Officer was a great buy. That actually might be the one better 1911 in the $750-800 price range than the TLE II. I owned the Ruger 1911 for a few months and found it to be accurate, reliable and worth the $700. No frontstrap checkering and I would have eventually switched the sights to Meprolight(the ones that come on the Kimber TLE). Those are the only things that I would change. I found a trade that I liked and let the Ruger go. I will probably own another once they are on every shelf. In all the years, all the trades, the one thing that I regret letting go was a TLE II. I think it's great that a 100 year old pistol can still strike up this much passion and argument. My experience doesn't allow me to knock Kimber. I simply have fired too many that work perfectly. That takes nothing away from any other manufacturer. As far as LE dropping any firearm in favor of Glock, that is as much a financial issue as it is a performance issue. Here shortly we will be seeing more departments dropping Glock in favor of Sig's. They will cite shortcomings, knowing all along that Glock is a fine firearm, but the fact is that Sig is undercutting Glock, the way Glock undercut S&W. Does that make the Sig better than the Glock? Maybe, but they are both still fine pistols and if I were needing to defend myself, they would be equally comforting. Anyway, this argument is like politics or religion. It can go on forever(for all the right reasons). If my wife gave me ANY Kimber, Colt, Ruger, SA or STI 1911 for Christmas I would be happy. Kip.

I purchased my kimber last Friday night - it is a standard Kimber Custom II which I am having Shooters Service Center to install a set of meprolight night sights. Also purchased a couple of Wilson Combat Elite magazines fot it. I do not like standard kimber magazines. If I had any reason to believe kimbers were bad I would not have purchased another one.

Respectfully

James Ruby

"I purchased my kimber last Friday night - it is a standard Kimber Compact II which I am having Shooters Service Center to install a set of meprolight night sights. Also purchased a couple of Wilson Combat Elite magazines fot it. I do not like standard kimber magazines. If I had any reason to believe kimbers were bad I would not have purchased another one. "

I like the kimber mags. All my range mags are Kimbers. My carry mags are Kimber Pro-Tech 8 rounders. I also use Chip McCormick Power mags.

If I was buying another 1911, I'd buy another Dan Wesson. Very well made out of good parts. Mine has not experienced one FTF or FTE that I can't blame directly on an inexpensive magazine and that includes several types of bullet styles. It's very accurate and came with Trijicon sights on it. It's the reason I sold most all of my other 1911's.
If I wasn't looking to spend that much money, I'd buy another Ruger if I could find one.

Last Edited:
The .45 is a fine caliber for personal defense. The weapon you choose is very personal and you would be well advised to shoot some different weapons before you make the purchase. Taurus and Llama would be brands I would stay away from for quality reasons.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top