JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm starting to load some rounds for a Ruger 44 carbine rifle. I'm using 240gr hollow points, these are Hornady XTP's. The powder will be H110. I always cross check data in different manuals to see where I want to start.

Hornady specs a Large pistol primer with H110.

Speer specs a Magnum pistol primer with H110.

Hodgdon specs a Large pistol primer with H110.

I have both CCI 300's and CCI 350's.

Why would Speer use Magnum primers when Hodgdon and Hornady use Large pistol??

I think I'll probably end up somewhere around 23gr or 23.5gr of H110 to achieve around 1700fps based on the data I have. Does it matter that much which primer I use??

I use Winchester primers because they say for magnum or standard loads. :biglaugh:
Don't think it really matters as long as you're not at or over max load.

I use whatever I have on hand. I have noticed no ill effects in any of my 44's or noticed more felt recoil or signs of overpressure. I prefer to use magnums as I hunt in damp environments and for some reason they give me piece of mind even though I have never had an issue with ignition with standard large pistol primers.

I would use Magnum large pistol primers for ball powders like H-110, W-296, Accurate No. 9 and standard large pistol primers for loads with flake powders like 2400, Unique, Power Pistol.

I've decided to use the CCI 350 Magnum primers.......cold weather, ball powder ignition issues and more consistant velocities indicate the benefits of using magnum primers for this load.

A side note:
I have about 75 pieces of once fired brass a buddy gave me (all fired through a Ruger Redhawk)......equal numbers of Hornady, Federal and Remington. I've tumbled, resized and primed all the cases.
The Hornady brass took a lot (and I mean a lot) more effort to run through the RCBS resizer die. They also took a lot (and I mean a lot) more effort to seat the new primers. It took so much pressure with my hand primer I was concerned I might get a detonation. I had to use both hands to squeeze the primer handle. They actually look pancake flat once you get them seated.
The Federal brass seemed a little harder than normal to resize and prime.
The Remington brass worked well and was more what I expected all the brass to be like.

I'm not used to seeing that much difference in different brands of brass. The Hornady brass was a real pain........................

I take a lot of time to prepare brass for loading. Primer pockets were perfectly clean, cases were well lubed before resizing.

I loaded 10 cases with 23gr of H110 and the 240gr Hornady bullets for a trial. I'm not looking forward to processing those Hornady cases again............

The folks who make H-110 recommend CCI-350's. In my personal experience there is not a better primer for use with H-110. The combination of these two along with a heavy bullet is a winning combination. Accuracy, clean burning and high velocity. What more could one ask for in a 44mag?

I use magnums for reloading all big bore handgun cartridges, as well as rifle (except .223 and .244). If every cartridge uses the same primer, it cuts down on inventory. And it takes the pressure off trying to remember what goes with what, which I appreciate more with each passing year.

A side note:
I have about 75 pieces of once fired brass a buddy gave me (all fired through a Ruger Redhawk)......equal numbers of Hornady, Federal and Remington. I've tumbled, resized and primed all the cases.
The Hornady brass took a lot (and I mean a lot) more effort to run through the RCBS resizer die. They also took a lot (and I mean a lot) more effort to seat the new primers. It took so much pressure with my hand primer I was concerned I might get a detonation. I had to use both hands to squeeze the primer handle. They actually look pancake flat once you get them seated.
The Federal brass seemed a little harder than normal to resize and prime.
The Remington brass worked well and was more what I expected all the brass to be like.

I'm not used to seeing that much difference in different brands of brass. The Hornady brass was a real pain........................

I loaded 10 cases with 23gr of H110 and the 240gr Hornady bullets for a trial. I'm not looking forward to processing those Hornady cases again............

Watch yer butt when changing cases! Don't assume that a safe load in one case will be safe in another. Weighing the cases is an easy way to tell if you're going to get yourself into trouble.

I load the 41 Mag and use Remington brass almost exclusively. But I've also used Federal and Starline. The loads safe in the Remington case are a little hot in the Federal. (not like they are mild in the Remington cases)
If I use the same loading in the Starline cases I'm askin' for trouble. They need to be backed off at least one grain to still be safe.
If you're not looking for max loads you'll have less of an issue, but you need to know what you're up against.

I used standard primers, mostly Federal Large Pistol with H110 and W296 with very good results. If starting out with Magnums, good. If switching from standard to magnum, back it down a little till you know what to expect.

ps. I assume you['re using carbide dies. If you are, a little case lube will go a long way on those hard to size cases.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR