JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reading through this, your question has been answered. Regarding the decision between the Glock and M&P, I recommend Glock for 9mm, but M&P for .40 since those are the cartridges that each firearm was initially developed around respectively.

The M&P .40s I had were flawless with that round, and the full-size was the sweetest-shooting pistol I've ever owned. Only sold them after making the decision to focus exclusively on 9mm for my defensive handgun cartridge, other than the 10mm woods gun.
I had a Glock 22 I didn't care for it. Rented and shoot a full size M&P.40 at a indoor range. Enjoyed shooting it much more than the Glock 22 I owned. I've read the debates on felt recoil. But just in my opinion the M&P had less felt recoil. I've also read the Glock .40 is the same frame at the 9mm. Where as the M&P was built for the .40 and the 9 was put on the same frame.

I had a Glock 22 I didn't care for it. Rented and shoot a full size M&P.40 at a indoor range. Enjoyed shooting it much more than the Glock 22 I owned. I've read the debates on felt recoil. But just in my opinion the M&P had less felt recoil. I've also read the Glock .40 is the same frame at the 9mm. Where as the M&P was built for the .40 and the 9 was put on the same frame.
This is true.

40's are very hard to find these days!
People were practically giving them away a yr or 2 back; I have an original 1.0 bought when they first came out (paid retail) with a sweet trigger, picked up another from a member here 18-24 months back for like $300.

There was a big swing back to 9mm for the maddening crowds, before the price per bullet climbed to .50-$1 per round lately.

40's are very hard to find these days!
@NU9MM - very true.

I've actually been on the hunt for some 40 pistols. Looking for a Stoeger Cougar, 3rd Gen S&W - etc., that isn't ridiculously priced. So, if you know of any ........ ;)

Even current model used pistols in 40 are hard to find. I have seen a lot of M&P's and Sigs, but they're not what I'm looking for. Also, there aren't as many private used pistols / LEO trade-ins on the market as there were about 2 to 3 years ago.

Regarding longevity - thousands of rounds of factory and reloads through my G22.4 and G27.4 with no unusual wear and tear.

I actually like shooting 40.

And I like reloading 40 (easy-peasy).

.40 wears out service firearms AND 9mm lighter recoil permits LE officers to have more successful follow up shots are two reasons often cited as the reason LE agencies are issuing 9mm firearms over .40 now that there are better 9mm defensive rounds being made. If one is newer to firearms and has researched 9mm vs .40 the above are common assertions.

I shoot 9mm because it is effective enough and target ammo is normally much less expensive. Frankly I think the recoil comparison is almost not noticable, but I'm a big guy with huge impact absorbing hands.

I'd love to get my hands on either a original or 2.0 full sized .40. Didn't care for the Glock 22 I had at one time. I just prefer the M&P much more ergo friendly for me. Honestly I really have no idea why I like the .40 but I do. I have 3 M&P 9's. The Shield 2.0 compact and 1.0 full sized. Not sure how a .40 would work as a woods gun. Better than a 9 I'm sure.

I did 32K on a Gen 2 G22 from 1996-2005 (ish), including one very special 1300 round day.

I remember breaking the following:

Slide stop and spring.
Polymer guide rod

I started replacing the recoil spring annually.

I replaced mag springs two or three times and the followers at least once as the tabs that engage the slide stop wore.

The night sights went out about half way through.

I also replaced the trigger and extractor. The trigger safety has failed and the extractor chipped, but this was likely due to hundreds (1000?) reps of clearing phase 2 malfunctions forcing the extractor over a round in the chamber.

That doesn't seem like a lot of service but in comparison the the Glock 9s it was.

.40 wears out service firearms AND 9mm lighter recoil permits LE officers to have more successful follow up shots are two reasons often cited as the reason LE agencies are issuing 9mm firearms over .40 now that there are better 9mm defensive rounds being made. If one is newer to firearms and has researched 9mm vs .40 the above are common assertions.

I shoot 9mm because it is effective enough and target ammo is normally much less expensive. Frankly I think the recoil comparison is almost not noticable, but I'm a big guy with huge impact absorbing hands.
Magna-port wants to be your friend--now follow-up shots are fast & have lowered recoil!

So if it takes 3 of 4 follow up shots of 9mm to do the job of one shot of the lessor caliber 40 s&w and the 9mm wears out in twice the number of rounds as the 40, that still makes the 9 wear out fast than the 40.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top