JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't doubt you, I just never heard it before. I own maybe a half dozen 40 &W, I'm partial to them, never had any issues but I don't have the resources to run 10s of thousands through them all ;-)

The really nice thing is with many 40s is swapping over to a 357 Sig if interested in a high pressure, solid defense round, or down to 9mm for range time.

With just a barrel change in 40-357 Sig, or barrel and mag to 9mm. I've done this with several M&P and Glocks and am happy with their performance.

If looking for a recommendation, mine is buy an inexpensive M&P 1.0 (4.25"/40 S&W) used and then pick up a Performance Center 5" Ported slide and barrel upper. It's a great combo. The PC unit is milled for a red dot too.

You can pick up 9mm or 357 Sig barrels / mags for either or both. You have a wide range of shooting choices with that setup on 1 frame.

An Apex Flat Face trigger is a nice addition. All for about a grand, depending.

I have several M&Ps, compact 1.0, std 1.0 and 5" 2.0 all in 40; The compact is my go to carry arm, but for all round flexibility, my favorite is the std. 1.0 with the PC slide.
Yes I did and I greatly appreciate your input thank you very much.

I never hated on the .40SW, I just wanted to downsize my cartridge selections. Now that I own a 10mmA, I find I am re-introducing my self to the .40SW if I can have a swapable barrel for said gun. I do not own anymore Glocks, so yeah, not too easy to swap barrels and/ slides.

The .40's aren't pushed as popular right now because it's hard to sell more guns if everyone already has plenty in the popular caliber. Give it 5 years or so and .40 will probably being pushed again as popular.

Think about cars, clothes, etc. same process, in order for you to want to go out and buy more stuff you first need to be convinced that what you already have isn't good enough or cool enough anymore.

When we start talking bullet technology improvement, all the improvement to the 9mm still improved the .40 and .45 similarly in terms of expansion. Not to mention, 10mm uses the same bullets as .40 SW so in that way they will both support each other as continuing to be available.

The .40's aren't pushed as popular right now because it's hard to sell more guns if everyone already has plenty in the popular caliber. Give it 5 years or so and .40 will probably being pushed again as popular.

Think about cars, clothes, etc. same process, in order for you to want to go out and buy more stuff you first need to be convinced that what you already have isn't good enough or cool enough anymore.

When we start talking bullet technology improvement, all the improvement to the 9mm still improved the .40 and .45 similarly in terms of expansion. Not to mention, 10mm uses the same bullets as .40 SW so in that way they will both support each other as continuing to be available.
I was in to local gun stores about a year ago. When I was looking for a .40 and asked if the had any in stock. And was told no special order only .40 is a dead and dying caliber.

Reading through this, your question has been answered. Regarding the decision between the Glock and M&P, I recommend Glock for 9mm, but M&P for .40 since those are the cartridges that each firearm was initially developed around respectively.

The M&P .40s I had were flawless with that round, and the full-size was the sweetest-shooting pistol I've ever owned. Only sold them after making the decision to focus exclusively on 9mm for my defensive handgun cartridge, other than the 10mm woods gun.

I was in to local gun stores about a year ago. When I was looking for a .40 and asked if the had any in stock. And was told no special order only .40 is a dead and dying caliber.
I have heard of this a lot. Not at the stores I shop at but on the internet. My thought is they just lost a sale and I would tell them so. Heck I was just looking at a Beretta 96 a couple of days a go. It's not a cookie cutter world, we don't all have to shoot 9mm and 5.56. I have a few guns but how boring it would be to open up the safe and only have one rifle and one pistol to chose from.

Only sold them after making the decision to focus exclusively on 9mm for my defensive handgun cartridge.
I made the choice the other way, I decided that one 9mm HP shot into the center of mass of a charging Cougar or Crack-head didn't have enough beans to break the charge but a 40 with a Gold Dot probably would so that's why I went with 40 for self defense. Because of that decision I started practicing with the 40 and thru that process it's become a good utility cartridge for me.

I made the choice the other way, I decided that one 9mm HP shot into the center of mass of a charging Cougar or Crack-head didn't have enough beans to break the charge but a 40 with a Gold Dot probably would so that's why I went with 40 for self defense.
And I'm sure there's a .45 guy or two out there that would argue the same for .40 vs. .45…

Don't believe anything gun related on the interne. Most likely have never shot a 40 much less put 10-20 thousand rounds through any of there guns.
Yoda restatement of @Reno's wisdom: "The arm chair strong in that one is."
I never hated on the .40SW, I just wanted to downsize my cartridge selections. Now that I own a 10mmA, I find I am re-introducing my self to the .40SW if I can have a swapable barrel for said gun. I do not own anymore Glocks, so yeah, not too easy to swap barrels and/ slides.
Just load the 10 down to 40 speeds. Unique and Universal are great for lighter loads.
I'm waiting for all the gov't surplus 40 ammo & guns to be sold at rock bottom prices
From the Obama 2013-2015, post Sandy Hook purchasing spree?

On wearing out parts, my recoil buffer spring is replaced, the trigger take-up spring is tired, but I never liked how stiff the take-up spring is/was on CZs anyway. My barrel internals look great. The top of the barrel shows it's wear from the slide moving back and forth over it. Curiously, I do not see the same wear on the slide, perhaps because it's nitride heat treated (Tennifer / Nitride / whatever).

And I'm sure there's a .45 guy or two out there that would argue the same for .40 vs. .45…
I'm a .45 guy but back when I made this decision sub compact .45's had a reputation for not being reliable. That was before the .45 Shield came out. As it is now, I'm ok with the 40 Shield as my EDC and my Glock 22 as my truck gun.

Years ago everyone had already bought .40 cal guns and the market was saturated, I wouldn't use 1 gun store as indication of ANY gun trends. For example, some gun stores don't stock the Tavor by IWI, that doesn't mean it isn't popular.

I used to shoot with the USPSA matches. I put 40,000 rounds through my modified M&P with only a barrel swap at 14,000 from factory to a storm lake for the rest. I also had a firing pin break. So over twenty thousand rounds on an aftermarket barrel and a fire pin break I think that's pretty fair. Plus with ammo prices now days I don't see someone burning one out quickly.

I bought a USP 40 back in 2006 and lost count how many rounds I have shot over the years. I also have XD40SC that bought back in 2012 well that I have shot 1000 of rounds with as well. I used to keep meticulous counts of how many rounds I have fired but lost count over past 5 years.

I have no intention of selling any of my 40 S&W pistols.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top