JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am going in remote Eastern Oregon with dogs in about a month and am thinking of taking a hiking pistol or revolver, especially on a chest holster. I do have a 7.5" 44 magnum Super blackhawk as well as a 44 magnum carbine. I will be hiking out of a base camp. The area is home of bear, cougar, wolves, and occassional intoxicated natives and criminal types that drive the roads. You can go for days without people traveling the roads.

I was thinking of purchasing the BB rounds above for my Smith 4006 which holds 11 rounds and puts out about 560 fp of energy and close to 357 158 grain performance. A 4006 or my GP 100 is liter to carry. Ideas if I should purchase the BB 40 cal 155 grain +p rounds? Or, do what? I will have a buddy in the base camp with me. Thanks.

I believe Clint Black postulated the idea that your handgun for defence was only a *temporary measure* until you got to your rifle.

Seems to me that you are under estimating your worse case scenario circumstances. A fully loaded 4006 all-steel auto could get heavy fast, the Ruger is about the same, but too slow to reload.
Reading through your excellent details, I think I would want an easily accessible holster holding a Glock 20 in 10mm or a Glock 31/32 in 357Sig. Think you are on the right track with the 44 carbine, it's a great choice. Carry the 44 carbine, but use factory JHP ammo.

I think you are all correct and I am under estimating. I am preparing for the trip and will take the Ruger 44 Deerslayer into the woods because the dogs do get out in a distance, but not usually more than 75 yards with correction. I have had the bear within 25 yards of the tent, and wolves within 40 yards of my truck. When in the woods I will carry the 44 carbine. In camp keep the 40 nearby or the 44 Super Blackhawk. I like to keep a high capacity pistol near by because occasionally there are very unsavory and intoxicated natives and red faced intoxicated white criminal types driving the road near by camp. Obvious verbal and nonverbal hostility has been cast towards me and my buddies. I will keep a shotgun nearby as well. I have never seen usfs or blm or any OSP types in this area nor ODFWL. Cats abound. I'm about 25 miles off of paved road.

This is my standard ranch attire. That's a model 66, S&W .357 mag on my hip. I don't go anywhere in eastern Oregon without it. Here I'm taking my baby girl for a hike on the ranch. Family holdings are around 9000 acres with wolves, cougar, bear, and they border a reservation. Walking down a gravel road back to my truck I have had sketchy types passing by roll down the window and ask if that's a .357 while giving me the eye. I just put my hand on the butt and nod my head. They drive on. I keep thinking about something more potent, like a 10 mm semi-auto, but the Model 66 does the job and a .357 mag is big enough to handle everything I will encounter.
WapinitaCanyon-JohnAeryn.jpg

I wouldn't change ammo brands before such a trip. I would stick with whatever .40 caliber ammo i had already fired a lot and knew to be reliable. And don't many people with semi autos find they need to change springs in order to use +P?

Since you are actually expecting bears and wolves around and almost in your campsite, I'd go with the rifle plus the handgun of your choice for backup.

What kind of dogs?
Did you get wolves and bear nearly in your campsite with dogs present?
What's the trip for/about?
Tell us more, @tkdguy. Tell us lots more!

I've got bears, cougars, coyotes (as large as a GSD) and feral dogs where I am at. Seen bear scat 100' from the house.

About the only time I carry a firearm on the property is when I am target shooting - but when I go to the back acreage I have my Shockwave in the truck, because it is a mile walk back to the house (couple hundred yards if I try to cross the gully).

I don't feel undergunned with a .40 or a 9mm - YMMV

The trip is for fun and scouting in remote Blue Mountains. Although Elk country there are regular sighting of cats taking down elk, and some are hunting in pairs. Myself and others in the woods do see on occasion wolves as I have. Fresh bear scat was very close to our tent, and likely laid within a few hours of us waking in the morning. Odd two footed creatures are occasionally seen driving intoxicated may these be natives or natives and white criminal looking types. Rarely see traffic.

The trip is for fun and scouting in remote Blue Mountains. Although Elk country there are regular sighting of cats taking down elk, and some are hunting in pairs. Myself and others in the woods do see on occasion wolves as I have. Fresh bear scat was very close to our tent, and likely laid within a few hours of us waking in the morning. Odd two footed creatures are occasionally seen driving intoxicated may these be natives or natives and white criminal looking types. Rarely see traffic.
What kind of dogs, and how do they fit in the pattern?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top