Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.380 help

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by chrisk86, Mar 27, 2013.

1. chrisk86

chrisk86 Spokane Member

ok so been looking for a .380 to buy for myself but I dont want something super small to keep in a pocket or anything I want something that has a little size to it. My local shops dont have much of a selection for this caliber besides a small compact size pistol. So my quesiton for you guys what larger .380 pistols are there on the market???

2. oldgrappler

oldgrappler Oregon Member

Take a look at the Sig P230 and also the Beretta Model 84 or Browning BDA - usually some on Gunbroker.

wonderdog and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity why do you want that caliber in a larger frame? The .380 makes lots of sense in a very compact gun but if you are looking for a little bigger frame the 9mm has a lot more energy then the .380.

XSubSailor and (deleted member) like this.
  4. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

in addition to the 9mm having more energy, it's considerably cheaper to shoot.

5. chrisk86

chrisk86 Spokane Member

Well I want a larger frame with that small caliber because first I like to have a good feel in my hand and a lot of these small compact pistols don't feel comfortable in my hand I like just a little larger frame but I also want the small caliber for my gf who I want to get into shooting and a small caliber starting out wont scare her away with a lot of recoil

6. chrisk86

chrisk86 Spokane Member

So the k9 in 9mm will be just fine for my gf I'll trust your guys judgement thanks a lot! :)

7. rumblebee1967

rumblebee1967 Bellingham Active Member

Best .380 on the market is the sig P238, if you want to go to a 9mm then the Sig 938 is a good carry gun. Both are very easy to carry and a pleasure to shoot for practice as one should do with a carry gun. Many well built .380's are not fun to shoot but the sig P238 is.

8. chrisk86

chrisk86 Spokane Member

Lol that's awesome your daughter shoots with you like that, my gf shot my glock .40 and she said the recoil was to much, maybe one day she will be fine with shooting larger caliber but for now I want her to have something small but also something I will enjoy to take out as well. I have been searching your suggestions so thanks for all the tips I have quite a few to choose from now

9. revjen45

revjen45 Snohomish County Well-Known Member

Have you considered the Makarov? 9x18 Mak is in the same class as the .380, and it seems like all ammo is having availability issues. The Mak is a nice balance of size, shootability, and upper level mousegun power.

brentb636 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. XSubSailor

XSubSailor SW WA Active Member

Regarding recoil from your GF's perspective, most .380 Autos use a blowback autoloading system, which in my experience recoils much harder than a standard recoil system. I have a Beretta 84 with a blowback system and it kicks like a mule compared to any of my 9mm pistols(that pistol's up for sale). The P238, which I also own does not use the blowback system and is a great shooter, but likely too small to feel comfortable in your hands (but I bet your GF would love the fit.

As others have mentioned, 9mm is much less expensive to shoot that .380 and there is really no advantage to .380 over 9mm at this point.

11. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

My wife shot my glock 23 (.40) when I had it, and she loved it. She currently shoots a 357 Blackhawk with fullhouse loads. However, she can't stand shooting my S&W Airweight 38 with +P. Go with 9mm or larger if you are getting a full sized firearmm

12. bilge pump

bilge pump Federal Way WA Member

The best shooting .380 in my opinion is the CZ83, second is the P238. My woman chose the p238 as it's easier to carry, but her comment when shooting the CZ83 was " I LIKE THAT!". However, she made almost the same comment after a class where she used a Glock 19.

daoism and (deleted member) like this.
  13. SynapticSilence

SynapticSilence Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Bersa .380. It's a Walther PPK clone that's cheap,incredibly reliable, steel slide, and steel or alloy framed, and comes in many models, concealed including a concealed carry configuration, all for about $350. Made in Argentina but lifetime warrantied with US repair facilities. I've had three Bersas and they've all been exceptional weapons, especially for the price. I was in Brightwater Ventures today and they had a nice duotone model. Won't last long.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

14. cally88

cally88 Portland Active Member

Sorry it took so long to mention, but i really loke to carry my stainless ppk/s iwb. Good weight, grip with the pinky extension and size is small enough the wife can never tell i am carrying until..... Well the pistol is nice.

15. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

There's not much better than a .22 LR handgun for not scaring people away from shooting. It's even better once you get a suppressor on it. :D

oknow and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Dallas Ken

Dallas Ken Dallas Or. Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Nothing better than the Beretta 84!! ............At least in my opinion.

Carry on Gent's and enjoy the Sunshine.

TCOV and (deleted member) like this.
  17. SynapticSilence

SynapticSilence Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

I sold my Beretta 84 and have regretted it ever since. Doh! Incredibly accurate high-cap pistol that never failed to impress me.

TCOV and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

Another vote for the Bersa .380. Excellent value for what you get.

19. cpy911

cpy911 Newberg Active Member

Love the CZ-83. I bought it as a companion to my P3AT. I reload for .380 and use a brass catcher so the cost aint so bad.

20. stever

stever vancouver, WA New Member

I have a Bersa model 86. It is a full size but not huge double stacked pistol. Check it out. That model is no longer made but many parts are interchangeable with more current models. Mine is for sale and comes with a zippered. fleece lined leather case and 2 mags. A 13 and a 15 round. In Washington state