JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Browning BDA by my keyboard. It is almost a Beretta 84 but has a fully enclosed slide and a "Regular" hammer where the 84 and 85 has a "Commander" style hammer. The 84 is a 13 round double stack and the 85 is a slimmer 8 round single stack. I would go for a Beretta as they have better sights. Beretta has recently dropped production of these wonderful guns, but I am sure there are a few new ones languishing at some distributor. Also a nice alternative would be the cheaper Ruger LC380. It is the same size and weight as a LC9, but with a softer spring for easier racking of the slide and shooting.

Other than the price of ammo I think you would be better off staying with a .380. They are deadly, but manageable.

Look at the Beretta Nano or a compact double column mag 9MM. .380 is not a good choice for a primary self defense gun

I have them, and they are boot guns only

Agree with Pandaz3............Beretta 380 is 'VERY' reliable and 13 rounds will sure get someone's attention. I have never had a fail to fire with the two I have owned.

I you just have to pack one I agree the 2 column CZs, Beretta and Browning are your best options. Recommend 1 in 3 at least to be FMJ because this caliber lacks penetration with HPs, especially on "quartering shots"..

Best .380 on the market is the sig P238

Not even. The best .380 is the Bersa Thunder .380. I have two of them and they are fantastic! I also have a Walther PPK/S, it's a cool gun but for an all around shooter (target, concealment, etc) I definitely prefer the Bersa Thunder .380. Then, almost all the other .380's out there (especially the Sig P238) are just to darn small.

Just gave my neice a Bersa Thunder duo tone. I would not give her something that I did not trust to use my self. The Bersa for its price is a cheap gun that is made and functions remarkably. I will buy another someday.

James Ruby

Not even. The best .380 is the Bersa Thunder .380. I have two of them and they are fantastic! I also have a Walther PPK/S, it's a cool gun but for an all around shooter (target, concealment, etc) I definitely prefer the Bersa Thunder .380. Then, almost all the other .380's out there (especially the Sig P238) are just to darn small.

If you're not looking for "small," why would you choose .380 over 9mm, or another larger caliber? I've tried many .380 including the Beretta 84 and the Bersa and their blowback design provides more recoil than a similarly sized 9mm with a recoil design. That's why I like the P238...it's small, accurate, and a soft shooter.

Have you considered the Makarov? 9x18 Mak is in the same class as the .380, and it seems like all ammo is having availability issues. The Mak is a nice balance of size, shootability, and upper level mousegun power.

I have a Mak .380 by Baikal. I added rubber after market grips so it fits my big hand better and it is a sweet little pistol. It shoots straight and has only burped 2x with cheap case ammo. Brass feeds fine and I have over 500 rounds through it. Its my carry if I am not bringing my 45.

Brutus Out :cool:

J & G Sales has some nice $200 FEG 32ACP pistols. They are good shooters, and a great starter semi-auto. I'd recommend a Bersa Thunder 380, also. Mine eats any ammo I put through it, and it's a pleasure to shoot.

When I took my wife out to shoot, many years ago, I made a point of not telling her what caliber she was shooting.
She fired .380. 38 Spl, 9mm, 40 cal and 45 cal and none of them were too big, or had excessive recoil, for her.

I always thought a 45 cal had a lot of recoil, until I first shot one.

I bought my wife a Walther PK380 after getting her very used to shooting my Walther P22. Since they had the Mae manual of arms, felt the same in here hand, shot the same, etc. it was much easier for her to transition to the "bigger" .380. She was very apprehensive about recoil and has a disability which makes he very sensitive. She shoots the PK380 great and carries it all the time too. It's only a 7+1, but it is a good size and has little to no recoil. I don't much care for how well it is built, because its kinda cheap. But, it has never failed on any of the ammo I've fed it so I can't complain.

Ruger LC380

15eb983.jpg

The Beretta Cheetah 84 is a gorgeous gun, but way 'spensive. ATI makes a copy that's half the price:
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/ha...can-tactical-imports-ms380-pistol-review.html
It's a double-stack, so it's thick.

IMO if you want a thinner pistol that's still big enough to grab & go without risking slide-bite, that Bersa Thunder 380 or Thunder 380 CC is the way to go.

BTW, the OP isn't asking opinions about calibers, he's seeking info on .380 pistols. Can we keep our eye on the ball please?

I would get a compact 9mm Cheaper to shoot!! More power !

BOOOO!!! :)
I've got a SIG P220 that shoots like a dream, but so does my Bersa Thunder 380, Mauser HSc 380, FEG AP9 380 . The small guns that are Walther PP sized are generally a pleasure to shoot and easier to hold than most small 9mm's. I carry the 9mm Nano ( it's surprisingly competent), but love shooting and occasionally carrying the PP sized 380's ( even a .32 ACP) . :)

THIS IS NOT AN INVITATION TO A CALIBER WAR. CAN WE PLEASE RESPECT THE OP'S ORIGINAL QUESTION AND INTENT?
PLEASE?

BTW, if your budget is so over-stretched that the price of ammo impacts your decision about what gun to buy and/or carry, may I humbly suggest that you might want to concentrate more on your FINANCES and less on your TOYS.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top