JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I see that you have already headed toward the .357 - just curious what was the barrel length? if its a snubby the only advantage to the .357 is being able to shoot both .38 and .357 magnum. After all - a snubbie with .38 +p loads will get you about the same performance as one in .357 as there isn't enough burn time in the barrel to take advantage of the magnum powder charge. If its longer than the snub nose the magnum will outperform it.

I firmly believe the .38/.357 platform is arguably one of the best ever. The .38 Special round is probably one of the best small game rounds ever and is no slouch for self defense but for anything bigger replace those .38 rounds with the .357. For backpacking I would never carry anything smaller than a 4" barrel and my next will probably be 6" GP 100. I carried a 4" M-19 for years backpacking and hunting and scored many jackrabbits and sage rats with it. I have no experience with bears - other than seeing the rear end of several moving away quickly - but with the right load/bullet combination I think the .357 would be capable of taking a bear but that would take a carefully placed, rehearsed shot such as in a hunting scenario and the bear does not know you are there. In the rare event of a bear attack I believe using a gun (any) to defend oneself successfully would be more the result of luck as opposed to skill. Read the stories of bear attack survivors who were experienced hunters and well armed at the time.

Personally, hiking or hunting I normally carry a 6" Colt .38 or a High Standard Trophy .22 with 4", 5 1/2", 7 1/2" or 8" barrels (switchable barrels). I prefer the smaller guns because I usually use them for grouse. Bear, I'll take my chances with my rifle. I have seen many many bears, over a hundred black bear, and 4 grizzly, in my hiking and hunting...every one of them ran off when they saw me, even though a few were within spitting distance when first encountered. Most dangerous encounter? Big boar black bear, maybe 400lbs or so it seemed at the time. I was between him and a deer he had killed, even then he left, even if reluctantly

Funniest encounter was while camping with my wife and our 5 young daughters. Marble Creek campground on the Cascade River, Thanksgiving holiday 197?. Driving into the campground there was this huge 250lb? black fluffy "Dog" (like a New Foundland) running into the campground in front of our motorhome. That is I thought "Dog" until I realized it was not running the way a dog runs...yep, small black bear, beautiful coat of fur. We pulled into a camp spot and it kept running.

If you are hunting you likely have a rifle and if your just hiking always hike with someone slow than you. That way if a bear charges you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun your hiking partner.

If you are hunting you likely have a rifle and if your just hiking always hike with someone slow than you. That way if a bear charges you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun your hiking partner.

Actually, running is exactly the wrong thing to do with a bear, Make yourself as big and laud as possible and advance, if the bear does not back down and run, then you back up slowly, still being as big and laud as possible. Never, ever, run from a bear...they can run much faster than you can, and if you run away, they may see you as prey and an easy meal.

each spring I take the horse out riding a few miles from my house, last year I crossed path with 3 bears in 30 minutes. The first bear weighed about 150 pounds and my 20 pound dog chased it up a tree. The second bear weighed about 300 pounds and my dog acted like it was not even there, we were about 50 yards apart, the bear wandered off into the woods. The 3rd bear was about 250 pounds and had it's nose planted in a rotten stump where it was eating termites/carpenter ants. we were about 15 yards apart when we saw each other. That bear broke into a dead run and was gone in less than 2 seconds, my dog and horse never moved.
On the other hand my friend's uncle suprised a BB that was feeding on a deer carcase. The uncle had a 30-30 in his hands and actualy got a shot off but the bear broke his neck and disappeared.
I carry a Glock 9mm w/cor bonn +P+ ammo
your Ruger will easily handle +P+ loads which are essentialy 357 loadings. You can load your own using NEW cases and a hard cast lead bullet for increased penetration

Rumblebee1967...so let me get this straight so I don't make any mistakes. If a Black Bear starts to charge at me, I am to push and trip my wife so the bear gets her an not me? :) Any more ideas on how to make that look like an accident?

Rumblebee1967...so let me get this straight so I don't make any mistakes. If a Black Bear starts to charge at me, I am to push and trip my wife so the bear gets her an not me? :) Any more ideas on how to make that look like an accident?

If you're the sole survivor, who's to know different?
Just saying';)

Hiking in "Bear Country"?
Leave the half toothbrushes, carbon poles, water for 2 months and 2 lbs of trailmix and get a Ruger 454 Alaskan and stop the contributing to the feeding of bears!

Good morning. It is a good idea to be able to carry a firearm in the woods when recreating for any "just in case scenerio". If you are in a positon to carry a firearm, paractice a bee good with it. If you have a large or heavy revolver, you might be reluctant to carry it all the time on long hikes or extended stays in the outdoors. It might not be on the hip or easy accessible such as in a backpack tucked away. Everyone does not have the ability to maintain a battery of firearms for every occassion. Use a firearm within its limitations, and they will do the job everytime. A .38SPL is very good defensive handgun, easy controlable, ammunition is affordable, and will see more range time then a 44 magnum, especially if you do not handload. My favorte carry revolver for in the woods is a model 686 4 inch BBL with Winchester silvertips. My second would be a 2 1/2 Model 66 with +P Gold Dots. My concerns when not "hunting" are meeting up with a two legged predator more so than a 4 legged wild animal. Given either scenerio, I am prepared to put rounds down range on target with confidence. A big gun will not out do good practice and preparation. When Hunting, I carry a model 629, or a Glock Model 20, a XD in 45 ACP or Glock 22 as a side arm, in addition to my long gun. If you suscribed to just one way of thinking, you would be lead to believe you need a S&W .500 and a Barrett 50 Cal to take a stroll down a well travel logging road. Know your equipment and make it work for you. Good luck with your choices. :gun10:

I'm about to commit suicide (figuratively of course).
I just picked up a Glock 23 today that will be my hiking/backpacking pistol. No, .40s&w is not an "ideal" bear defense gun (in fact 99% of people in these discussions will say it is awful). But honestly I'm more worried about two legged freaks and weirdos in the woods than running into a bear, let alone a bear that turns aggressive. Mace will also be with me which rumor has it is more effective to deter big meat hungry animals. Thinking I will load up on the 200grain double tap fmj flat points just in case though. seems the best I can do in the .40 for larger predators- <broken link removed>

I have both a S&W 36 "Chiefs Special", 2", in .38 spl. and a SP101, 3", in .357 mag. The S&W is my CC gun and the SP101 is open carry (usually in the woods). Occasionally, I carry both...depending. In the woods the SP101 is my choice unless near campgrounds where it might make people nervous. Then I use concealed carry and the S&W.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top