JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have a good load developed for the ELD Match 168 for a 308? Or anyone have the new Horandy book with the data that i could start with. I have some Varget powder and some 4895.

thanks in advance

IMG_20180202_195601280.jpg

i really like above 45 but below 47gr of BL-C(2) for all of my 165gr nos. BT and accubonds. ive used the same load with 168gr eld match bullets with good results.

22" savage 11
nothin special. just a hunting rifle.

have used a micron less than 42gr H4895 for my steel ringing loads for my LR308. hornady 150gr FMJBT.

Varget is very popular in 308.

POST RESULTS!!:D

nosler states blc2 is the most accurate powder used in their reloading manual for their 165-168gr bullets. i have found it to be really consistant and not temperature sensitive. YMMV.

ive shot in sub freezing weather and over 100* weather with them. no change.

Good to know I will keep that in mind maybe try it down the road. Mine will be shot out if an ar10 with 16" barrel. I'll keep you guys posted with results. If anyone else has info please feel free to post and give input.

Good to know I will keep that in mind maybe try it down the road. Mine will be shot out if an ar10 with 16" barrel. I'll keep you guys posted with results. If anyone else has info please feel free to post and give input.
my LR308 is a 16" barrel too. same thing as an AR10 but just DPMS instead of armalite

i really like above 45 but below 47gr of BL-C(2) for all of my 165gr nos. BT and accubonds. ive used the same load with 168gr eld match bullets with good results.

22" savage 11
nothin special. just a hunting rifle.

have used a micron less than 42gr H4895 for my steel ringing loads for my LR308. hornady 150gr FMJBT.

Varget is very popular in 308.

POST RESULTS!!:D

nosler states blc2 is the most accurate powder used in their reloading manual for their 165-168gr bullets. i have found it to be really consistant and not temperature sensitive. YMMV.

ive shot in sub freezing weather and over 100* weather with them. no change.
That's good to know.

Actually, I noticed some discrepancy in the BC from different sources and I emailed Hornady. They have 3 different BC listed depending on MV Ballistic Coefficient - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc The Book is worth getting just for the ELD info. The link gives an explanation.

This is for the 168 ELD Match, G1 BC
2512 - .523
2232 - .516
1953 - .498
Thanks for the clarification. It seems common to have a higher BC at higher velocities. I've noticed that with sierra bullets as well.

The Hornady book numbers seem pretty conservative to me. I would hope for faster speeds than that with a 168. My 175 grain 308 load is 2650ish fps with 44 grains of Varget. I will look up my 168 AMAX load and report back.

Don't forget to look at online data from hodgdon and or ramshot,
The hornady book is good but limited in data I always check on line the hornady book doesn't include many of the new powders out,
I started working with IMR 4166 and 168gr amax 308 I am still working on dialing in my load but so far I can repeatedly hold 3/4 moa at 100 yards,

My 168 Amax load is 45 grains of Varget with CCI 250 primers. Been a couple of years since I chrono'd them and I have kind of a limited sample when I did but it looks like they averaged about 2705 fps.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top