JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
*Le Sigh*

Learned (again) the fun of warranties and voiding them. Short story: aftermarket guide-rod and stronger recoil spring broke the frame of my SD40VE. I really liked the way it was cycling too. Of course, I had previously stippled the pistol, voiding the warranty.

So now I've got a cool $300 paperweight and no defensive weapon at all.

I have no idea how long it'll be before I can afford another firearm. Now I'm left wondering if I should find another SD40VE since now I've got plenty of parts and three extra magazines or if I should go ahead and find something else.

J92sXikgaQmk5ylx9Zh3df5ohqv0qZHlkEDF6u-kirU6i8WHYm-N2Bf1VLp25R9Nbfxv22BL3BAFv2lFc4=w1210-h856-no.jpg

That's sucks, sorry to hear about your issue. You could sell off the extra parts I think to offset a new gun.

I still like my Florida Made SCCY CPX-2 (no safety, the -1 has a safety).

DAO hammer fired trigger
Fits my large hands
Stainless slide and barrel
10+1 9mm
2 mags come with it
*No questions asked, Lifetime Warrenty that follows the gun even if you don't buy it new
Lots of colors for the polymer lower
$250 out of most doors

The DAO trigger isn't my favorite but easily can group 2-4 in at 25'.

900 rounds and 2 stovepipes. Both after running many mags thru the gun and not lubricating it.

That does suck, sorry to hear it. Out of curiosity, what was the purpose of the replacement spring and rod? Was the gun failing to operate properly with the OEM parts?

No intent to bash, just sharing my personal opinion - when it comes to defensive/carry guns, I leave them stock unless there is a very good reason to alter them. That of course doesn't include things like lights, lasers or sights which won't affect the function of the gun.

Have you considered running it by one of the several good gunsmiths on this site and see what, if anything, they can do to help get you up and running again? @Velzey is my recommendation as I've dealt with him and I know he's going to take care of his customers.

If it does come time to replace the gun, and you want to stick with a S&W in .40, I would recommend as I did on a different thread, to consider an M&P 40 - used or police trade, they're not much more than the SD40VE, and, in my opinion a much better gun. I've owned the SD40VE, but I'm much happier with my M&P40, which is my current bedside gun. Other than night sights, it's stock and runs very well.

Joe's recommendation of the SCCY CPX-2 is a good one as well. They are fine little carry guns.

@etrain16 I hear you about modding defensive weapons. Lesson learned in this case. The reason for replacing the guide rod and spring were twofold: looks and faster cycling.

I thought about finding a gunsmith, and I also thought about how I would go about this repair as well. It might be something I'll eventually go about doing, but I'd still feel cautious about the reliability of the repair.

I also saw your posts about the retired M&Ps and will likely end up going that route, or something similar. Regardless I'll have to wait on funds. I do know I'll likely keep with the .40, or at least nothing smaller.

So the recoil spring won't hold in place by the action block alone?

I would be JB welding that thing back in or something before I toss it to the paperweight counter.

The SDVs normally go on sale for 300 a lot too, so just a thought.

Also I'd take the broken gun off your hands for a reasonable price. I wouldn't mind taking a crack at fixing it. Jerry rigged or not.

Anytime you mod guns you run the risk of something happening. I've had accidents, luckily nothing I could repair or cheaply replace.
Live and learn.
I carry a glock and other than the trigger connector I haven't messed with it.

I'm also of the idea you don't mod carry guns.
To each their own, but I want it to go bang when I need it to.
Range toys or or safe guns may be frankensteined though.

Doesn't Glock charge $80 bucks or so for a new frame?

S&W must be able to replace the frame for somewhere around that price?

I might be wrong....but I think they are usually significantly more expensive. I wish I could pick up a new frame or two for 80.00 and if I've been missing this price somewhere can someone help me and point to it?

I might be wrong....but I think they are usually significantly more expensive. I wish I could pick up a new frame or two for 80.00 and if I've been missing this price somewhere can someone help me and point to it?
This is just for replacement purposes. IE your unmodified frame broke due to defect or other anomaly, you send yours in for a factory replacement. Glock does not sell factory serialized frames. Just replacements for damages.

There are a few places that sell frames though. Usually around 250. Plus the BCG and transfer.

The SD's are decent guns. But if you feel like a bit of an upgrade (of course your SD mags do NOT work in M&P's) check out Summit Gun Broker out of Missouri - he deals in LOTS of police trade in guns and I've seen M&P's going, with night sights, for $299 before. He also deals in all the other name brand guns, NFA items (I know,not what you're after) in both new and used format. His prices blow CDNN out of the water on used guns.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top