JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a 20" aero upper

I want to use my aero lower with M4 stock assembly and carbine spring

What buffers are you all running for smoothest function

I don't want to dish out the cash for the A5 system I was hoping a carbine spring and different buffer weight will get this baby running as smooth as the rifle A2 stock setup

6D22D6F3-C7AA-4F58-BBFD-9A1A5CA9CB30.jpeg

So I have a 20" aero upper

I want to use my aero lower with M4 stock assembly and carbine spring

What buffers are you all running for smoothest function

I don't want to dish out the cash for the A5 system I was hoping a carbine spring and different buffer weight will get this baby running as smooth as the rifle A2 stock setup

View attachment 1115233
My Internet Guess is an H2 using full power ammo (XM193 or M855) would be the sweet spot.
Or an H3 might be better.
The Internet really can't tell you.
Ideally you change them out until you get the cyclic rate/ejection pattern you like.

Most high power service rifle shooters run carbine buffer systems on a 20" upper. Many are running H2 with carbine spring. Some run a Tubbs spring with up to H2. In general they are all doing something to fix being over gassed. Ideally they would run an adjustable gas block but the rules do not allow it.

From my experience, I would tune to the heaviest spring It will run on a light buffer, then fine tune with the buffer weight. That is if I can't run a adjustable gas block.

Start at carbine. Clock it. Increase as needed.

Guessing that carbine is starting and will clock at 3.
All carbine buffer should be thrown in the ocean. If an AR can't run with a H buffer something is wrong with it. The reason carbine weight buffers exist is because they are cheaper to make for all the AR manufacturers pinching pennies.

A Tubbs flat wire spring and H1 would run well if it's gassed right.

I started playing the buffer game with mine then took the easy way out with a BRT gas drive.

I got a tube to run with an A5H2 buffer and Tubbs spring.

If memory serves, the mil-issue M16A4 telestock conversion kit uses standard spring and H6, which is similar weight to an H3 but has a spring in it for timing control in rock-n-roll.

My memory IS fuzzy, though, long on book reading short on hands-on experience. There used to be a piece in Preventative Maintenance magazine about this...

Service rifle use to be 20 inch rifles with fixed A2 stock using iron sights. Rules changed and now they can use up to 4.5 magnification optics and adjustable length of pull stocks. these Two things allowed them to fit the rifle better to them for each position. For example, lengthen the stock for laying down prone or shorten it when they stand.

Most flocked to the Magpul UBR stock since it was a heavy solid adjustable stock. It has a carbine buffer tube length. Therefore, they also converted and tune their rifles to a carbine buffer system. The general rule some said is to match the carbine buffer weight to the rifle buffers they used before. The rifle buffer was heavier and matched the heavier H2 carbine buffer weight better.

The general rule some said is to match the carbine buffer weight to the rifle buffers they used before. The rifle buffer was heavier and matched the heavier H2 carbine buffer weight better.
Not quite...

Buffer weights:

Carbine - 2.9oz
H - 3.8oz
H2 - 4.5-47oz
H3 - 5.3-5.5oz
H6 - 5.2oz
Rifle - 5.1-5.3oz
A5H0 - 3.8oz
A5H1 - 4.56oz
A5H2 - 5.33
A5H3 - 6.08
A5H4 - 6.83

I over simplified. Both the buffer weight, spring rate and start and stop spring compression play into the buffer system dynamics. Rifles typically have a higher initial spring force than carbines, thus an offset in buffer weights for unlocking timing between the systems? Rifles also store more energy in the spring, similar to going to a flat wire in the carbine system. So a H2 with a flat wire may be closer to a rifle system in both unlocking and energy storage.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top