JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like 10 rounders. Now, where can I spend my virtue points?

In reality, I strongly prefer 20 rounders because they're more nimble than 30s with plenty of cargo but my 30s outnumber them 20:1 due to convenience/sales

I've been really happy with the Magpul mags in the 30 round variety. Running them in the AR15 and AR10 platforms. I did resort to putting plastic tape bands on them to quickly identify which is which (.223, 300BLK, .308).

1665177361293.png

I've been really happy with the Magpul mags in the 30 round variety. Running them in the AR15 and AR10 platforms. I did resort to putting plastic tape bands on them to quickly identify which is which (.223, 300BLK, .308).

View attachment 1288506
I do the same thing. Green for 62gr LAP, Blue for SD rounds, red for 77gr, and Orange for 75gr Speer JSP. No tape means it is 55gr only which is what I mostly shoot at the gun range.

Global Ordnance made things way to easy to acquire a significant amount of 30 rounders.

I read an apocalypse novel where the guy put his wife in a bunker with 5 ammo cans full of loaded 30 round mags and told her she can only stop shooting if she's dead or her gun melts. I will always remember that scene in the book as not only did it make me smile, it's exactly what I'd do.

@CountryGent , if the wife's the one thinking that little carbine you have is her ideal
rig if stuff goes down. I think you would like that idea too!

Im not a huge fan of the drums. The 40 round ones are pretty slick. I mostly got them as they were that sand color that rit dye works well with. However they are great, work just as well as the 30s.

View attachment 1287789
I have a massive order inbound from GO to hedge against measure 114 passing. It's a great place to shop for mags.

I run a number of guns so my choice of mags very for each.

For the ARs I have an even mix of GI metal mags and Magpul, 90% of them are 30 rounders that I prefer but I do have a few D60 drums and some 40s. The couple of 20s I do have are for bench work when zeroing in the guns.

For the AKs, I go with all steel 30 rounders, except got a couple 75 rd Rumanian drums that work quit well on a gun with a bipod.

For the Mini 14, I use Ruger brand 20 rounders as they just work. Not cheap, but work.

For the Scorpions I use Magpul 35 round mags as they work great and are cheap.

I've noticed that a high volume of fire in a short amount of time tends to cause even "trained" people to decide retreating is a good idea, so with that in mind the Magpul 40 round options allows. a person to dump 20 rounds in quick order and still have 20 available without a mag change.

I've noticed that a high volume of fire in a short amount of time tends to cause even "trained" people to decide retreating is a good idea, so with that in mind the Magpul 40 round options allows. a person to dump 20 rounds in quick order and still have 20 available without a mag change.
I've noticed that single well placed shots in a short amount of time tends to cause even "trained" people to never move again, so with that in mind any size mag that allows a person to maintain consistently accurate fire helps reduce the frequency of mag changes. ;)

Fire supression is a thing, but probably not typically employed, or desireable, in your average self defense scenario. YMMV

Evidently... only LEO's are trained to mag dump on city streets. :s0140:

Last Edited:
I hear you. While my answer is super-boring, the little I shoot ARs, I kind of just stick with 20-round box magazines. (Oh, there's 30s and at least one of the coffin mags floating around, and at least one lil' flush-fitting hunting mag. But, yah, the old 20-round box mags just work.)
Yep the 20 rounders just work, one of my 20's is a colt mag I've had for a looong time, it's my go to mag for testing a new gun or build. Iirc the 20 was the original ar mag.

IMO, 20 round mags are standard and best in 5.56 or 7.62 - anything up or down from those are for special purpose scenarios with varying degrees of effectiveness since when something may be ideal in scenario A, in scenario B or C it may be actually less effective than std.

None over 30, don't see the need.
The only time I use the 30's are for volume shooting, which doesn't happen much for me anymore.
Regular range use and house mags are 20's

Same for the .308, I have more 10 round mags than 20's now.

I've noticed that single well placed shots in a short amount of time tends to cause even "trained" people to never move again, so with that in mind any size mag that allows a person to maintain consistently accurate fire helps reduce the frequency of mag changes. ;)

Fire supression is a thing, but probably not typically employed, or desireable, in your average self defense scenario. YMMV

Evidently... only LEO's are trained to mag dump on city streets. :s0140:
(Depends on who and how many you are defending yourself against)

20 rounders are my go to. Simply for size/weight and they are much more comfortable when wearing them on a belt, especially if you also have a plate carrier on.

I have lancers, magpuls, and usgi. USGI works all the time every time. The lancers gave me a bit of an issue with a T91 upper, but they run in the hellion.

Otherwise all my other 5.56 mags are AK mags that make lancers look like a dollar store special in price. :(

I have a few 20 but mostly 30 round Gen2 non-windowed PMags. Probably 70 or so total. Never had a failure, dropped them plenty too. GI mags are fine as well, but even then the quality ones use Magpul followers…….

As other have said, "oversized" mags lead to other challenges.

I have had Beta-C mags and tried a few others.

For the AR's I mostly have 20 and 30rd mags.

I run the old school GI 20rd mags in my target rifle all loaded with hand loaded ballistic tips.
For my "normal" AR's they are 30rd P-mags.
For my .300 Whisper I run OD colored 20rd P-mags for easy identification.
In my .308 I have both 20 and 25rd P-mags
I did purchase a 50rd P-mag drum for my 9mm AR. This one sits low enough and is not so wide it hits your forearm. Typically it has 33rd Glock mags.
I do have a 50rd drum for my .22 AR. I do not recall brand, but it works well.

For my Tromix shotgun I do have a 20rd drum that works well, but it is very wide and hits your forearm.

For range fun, I have a couple of Magpul D60s which have been super reliable and I have some Korean 50 round Glock 9mm mags that have gone bang every time too. I even have a 110 round GSG drum for the 10/22 (also works in my Ruger American Rimfire; 110 round drum on a bolt gun takes a while!) where the only issue has been ammo related. So while all my drums have been error free, it's a lot of unnecessary bulk and complication for when things are going down. In that case, while I have some 40 round pmags, standard mags, such as the 30 round pmags, are the order of the day. And due to the cost, I have a bunch of pmags from sales and Global Ordnance 30 round steel mags sitting by just in case.

There is something about this setup for grab and go though:
AR_Pistol_20180405_2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews