JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For range fun, I have a couple of Magpul D60s which have been super reliable and I have some Korean 50 round Glock 9mm mags that have gone bang every time too. I even have a 110 round GSG drum for the 10/22 (also works in my Ruger American Rimfire; 110 round drum on a bolt gun takes a while!) where the only issue has been ammo related. So while all my drums have been error free, it's a lot of unnecessary bulk and complication for when things are going down. In that case, while I have some 40 round pmags, standard mags, such as the 30 round pmags, are the order of the day. And due to the cost, I have a bunch of pmags from sales and Global Ordnance 30 round steel mags sitting by just in case.

There is something about this setup for grab and go though:
View attachment 1291467
As an owner of the D60 mag I still ultimately came to the conclusion that 2 coupled mags are still superior from a reliability standpoint. If you do experience a failure in the D60 you're out of the game with lots of ammo not available. With two stacked mags. If for some reason 1 mag takes a dump, you have the second one already attached to the rifle.

I have some HK 30 round magazines which bought and used in my first AR which is an Armalite. I still have them but they won't in my Aero lowers with out some filing so I don't use them anymore. I bought a few Lancers, Magpul, NHMTG, and OKAY which work fine. The OKAY and NHMTG are the same magazine but I believe NHMTG were the civilian brand of OKAY or something like that.

For larger-than-standard magazines (30) I like Magpul PMag40s. I considered the D-60 and the old Surefire 60 and 100 round aluminum magazines but I just can't justify paying $100-$180 for a single ammunition feeding device. PMag40s are relatively cheap, easily found, only slightly longer than standard, and are very reliable.

I run only GI mags now. All my ARs will accept standard GI mags but very picky about which polymers it'll accept. I've since purged all but the 5, 10, and 20 rounders.

My plan was to pick up some metal 20 rd mags, but I'll bet the prices now are more that I care to pay. I have a handful of Pmags that have been completely reliable, so I'll probably just stick with what I have.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top