JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks!

On a whim I picked up a surplus level II w/ Spike Protection panel from a reputable seller on Ebay. I was really curious how a $30 used armor panel would perform and had to test it for myself.

The panel itself was pretty clean, with some wear/use marks but no material damage. The back label had been altered so I don't know the date of manufacture or supplier.

IMG_2383.JPG IMG_2384.JPG

Test #1: 22LR 38grain Federal out of a 4.75" Ruger Wrangler from 7 yards

IMG_2385.JPG

The panel caught the round just under the outer nylon shell. The flattened round was caught in the first layer of Kevlar

IMG_2397.JPG

Test #2: 38 special 130 grain Winchester out of a 4" Revolver from 7 yards

IMG_2389.JPG

The found was stopped by the first two layers of Kevlar and mushroomed out to pretty much fall in my hand when I walked up to the panel

IMG_2398.JPG

Test #3: 45 ACP 230 grain Freedom Munitions out of a 4.25" 1911 from 7 yards

IMG_2390.JPG

The round didn't even pierce the first layer of Kevlar. I searched around the panel but could not locate it through the mulch.

Test #4: .357 Magnum 130 grain Freedom Munition out of a 4" Revolver from 7 yards

IMG_2391.JPG

This round made the most damage. It mushroomed out and got tangled up in about 3 layers of Kevlar.

IMG_2396.JPG

Results from the first four tests:

IMG_2393.JPG

No pass through or back-face deformation

IMG_2394.JPG

At this point I cut away the outer shell to reveal two different panels. The first panel is about 10 layers of Kevlar. I believe this is to provide spall protection.
IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_2399.JPG

The second panel consisted of a nylon outer shell and about 20 rigid plastic like panels (I don't know the composition) with a thin foam backing

IMG_2400.JPG

I repeated all the tests on the back panel only. I also fired one round of 20 gauge #3 buckshot from 10 yards.

IMG_2402.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

Both the 38 and 357 were ejected out of the left side but failed to penetrate past two layers of material.

The buckshot went through the first layer of material only.

IMG_2409.JPG

CONCLUSION:

The $30 level II panel I purchased on Ebay stopped 22LR, 38 Spl, .357 Magnum, 45 ACP, and 20 gauge #3 buckshot. I wish I had brought out a rifle so I could have defeated the panel. I was surprised that the .357 failed to penetrate more than a few layers...and nothing came close to going through the approximately 30ish layers of material.

Overall I'm impressed, and it was a fun day.

I'll caveat this post by saying it's a novelty purchase off of Ebay. If you're looking for something to save your life don't cut corners and be sure to buy the appropriate, unexpired, material from reputable manufacturers.

Safe Shooting!

IMG_2392.JPG

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

Last Edited:
I don't want to make an endorsement of any particular panel or plate. Each person has different needs to consider.

For this test the panel was purchased from Ebay seller: pvtcpt727_armored_outpost

Good post. As I have mentioned to people for a long time, Kevlar does not degrade by time alone. The "use by date" does not mean they suddenly stop working. Somewhere around I have a very old set of panels I bought in the late 90's. When we moved I found them again. Only reason I had kept them was to try just this kind of test. The panels were worn by me for many years. So many I wore out the first carrier and bought another carrier. Will find them again and take them to the range to do the same test.

Good post , what vest would you suggest in purchasing ?

If you are going to wear soft armor it's all in how much comfort you wish. In the same class, Levels IIA, II, IIIA and such, the more expensive ones are normally more comfortable. Most places that sell it will tell you what it weighs per SQ inch. The heavier (in the same class) is of course the least comfortable. So if you want something to keep in the closet as a just in case? Cheaper will be fine. If you actually are going to wear it all day? Then best to buy better if you can afford it.
After you buy some how you take care of it will make a huge difference in how well it holds up.
As I have also mentioned the exterior carriers are FAR more comfortable than wearing it under a shirt. They make external carriers that make it look like you are wearing a shirt.

I expected more entertainment from a Marine. No explosions, silly string, or ransacked bars involved? :):)

When I was in Manas for a few months we took bets on how long the Marines could keep their alcohol privileges before the next drunken brawl shut them out again. Longest span was two months. :s0074:

I expected more entertainment from a Marine. No explosions, silly string, or ransacked bars involved? :):)

When I was in Manas for a few months we took bets on how long the Marines could keep their alcohol privileges before the next drunken brawl shut them out again. Longest span was two months. :s0074:

As an NCO I'm a professional on the range....But I was having a bit of whiskey during my post write up.

You know us pretty well...

Hey Folks!

On a whim I picked up a surplus level II w/ Spike Protection panel from a reputable seller on Ebay. I was really curious how a $30 used armor panel would perform and had to test it for myself.

The panel itself was pretty clean, with some wear/use marks but no material damage. The back label had been altered so I don't know the date of manufacture or supplier.

View attachment 603227View attachment 603229

Test #1: 22LR 38grain Federal out of a 4.75" Ruger Wrangler from 7 yards

View attachment 603231

The panel caught the round just under the outer nylon shell. The flattened round was caught in the first layer of Kevlar

View attachment 603255

Test #2: 38 special 130 grain Winchester out of a 4" Revolver from 7 yards

View attachment 603239

The found was stopped by the first two layers of Kevlar and mushroomed out to pretty much fall in my hand when I walked up to the panel

View attachment 603259

Test #3: 45 ACP 230 grain Freedom Munitions out of a 4.25" 1911 from 7 yards

View attachment 603241

The round didn't even pierce the first layer of Kevlar. I searched around the panel but could not locate it through the mulch.

Test #4: .357 Magnum 130 grain Freedom Munition out of a 4" Revolver from 7 yards

View attachment 603243

This round made the most damage. It mushroomed out and got tangled up in about 3 layers of Kevlar.

View attachment 603253

Results from the first four tests:

View attachment 603247

No pass through or back-face deformation

View attachment 603249

At this point I cut away the outer shell to reveal two different panels. The first panel is about 10 layers of Kevlar. I believe this is to provide spall protection.
View attachment 603251

View attachment 603262

The second panel consisted of a nylon outer shell and about 20 rigid plastic like panels (I don't know the composition) with a thin foam backing

View attachment 603264

I repeated all the tests on the back panel only. I also fired one round of 20 gauge #3 buckshot from 10 yards.

View attachment 603268

View attachment 603278

Both the 38 and 357 were ejected out of the left side but failed to penetrate past two layers of material.

The buckshot went through the first layer of material only.

View attachment 603282

CONCLUSION:

The $30 level II panel I purchased on Ebay stopped 22LR, 38 Spl, .357 Magnum, 45 ACP, and 20 gauge #3 buckshot. I wish I had brought out a rifle so I could have defeated the panel. I was surprised that the .357 failed to penetrate more than a few layers...and nothing came close to going through the approximately 30ish layers of material.

Overall I'm impressed, and it was a fun day.

I'll caveat this post by saying it's a novelty purchase off of Ebay. If you're looking for something to save your life don't cut corners and be sure to buy the appropriate, unexpired, material from reputable manufacturers.

Safe Shooting!

View attachment 603245

View attachment 603266

View attachment 603270

View attachment 603276

View attachment 603280
Awesome testing, thanks for sharing those results

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR