JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
From FLIR. I've never seen the temperatures on a bullet measured in flight before. Wow! Note the heating of the tip, the friction of the rifling, and the base from the burning propellant.

1714068906245.png

Edit: NASA is constantly concerned (or should be) with the ceramic tiles on the shuttles. I see that shuttle re-entry speed is 17,500 MPH/about 25,600 FPS, so a 'tad bit' more heat generated there, even in the stratosphere. Nevertheless, we are nearer sea level and so the air is generally pretty dense.
Decades ago, I think it was Skeeter Skelton or Jon Sundra who loaded some 30-40 grain 22 Hornet varmint bullets into a .220 Swift at max velocity. He noted some smoke about 25 yards from the muzzle and soon realized the the bullets were powdering from the heat and air resistance.

I made a comment about defensive bullet cauterizing the wounds, but also wonder if you shot small enough game with a heated bullet, would it be fully cooked by the time you reached it?

Last Edited:
Edit: NASA is constantly concerned (or should be) with the ceramic tiles on the shuttles. I see that shuttle re-entry speed is 17,500 MPH/about 25,600 FPS, so a 'tad bit' more heat generated there, even in the stratosphere. Nevertheless, we are nearer sea level and so the air is generally pretty dense.
Decades ago, I think it was Skeeter Skelton or Jon Sundra who loaded some 30-40 grain 22 Hornet varmint bullets into a .220 Swift at max velocity. He noted some smoke about 25 yards from the muzzle and soon realized the the bullets were powdering from the heat and air resistance.

I made a comment about defensive bullet cauterizing the wounds, but also wonder if you shot small enough game with a heated bullet, would it be fully cooked by the time you reached it?

You need an AR15 for that. :)

You need an AR15 for that. :)
That wouldn't work at all. A single round from an AR15 blows a human sized body in half and will completely decapitate a head. There wouldn't be enough bullet dwell time in the body to measure the rate/degree of cook capable.

In addition to knowing nothing about guns, this ahole doesn't know jack about PTSD. PTSD is a disorder. You don't have it for a few hours or days. The "temporary form" of PTSD is PTS ya frikin' halfwit.
Poor baby bwoosed his widdle shoulder... awwww.... 🍼

"Kuntzman". That explains a lot.:s0140:

Last Edited:
Strangely enough, I've never wondered about the temperature of my bullets while in flight. As long as they got "there" was good enough for the moment, I guess.

The next time someone uses an AR-15 for defensive purposes, they should question their assailant to rate their experience concerning the heat of the projectile during flight: (1) did not significantly contribute to the seriousness of their wound to (10) significantly contributed to the seriousness of the wound.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top