JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guys

I've been reloading for a little over a year, and have always purchased components specific to the caliber (duh). Recently I had the chance to buy, what I assume are, .308 dia bullets designed for 30-30 loads. The thought at the time was "hey, at least I'll have them".

A quick check doesn't show any loads for these bullets in .308, but I do have QUICKload, so I could start there (I don't hunt, so 'designed for expansion at X velocity' doesn't apply).

Am I wasting my time? Am I wasting a quality bullet that should be traded?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jason

30-301.jpg

30-302.jpg

The problem is, if it is a bullet manufactured in the last decade or two, and probably even before that, then it is probably designed for a certain velocity range specific to .30-30 loads, not 7.62x51 loads.

This was a problem I had back in the early 70s when there wasn't much 7mm mag ammo out there; I got some Remington 150 gr. SP ammo and they would blow up on anything under 200 yards - most likely because Remington used a bullet designed more for 7x57 ammo than something that drives that bullet much faster.

Given that, if you are sure they are for the .30-30 (not just because they are FP) - by looking at the bullet part no. and cross checking - then there are reduced loads you could use them in.

Otherwise I would save them for a .30-30 or comparable load, or trade them for something more appropriate for your intended use.

I used to have a 308 w/16.5 inch barrel. I used to load 93 grn mauser pistol bullets, 100 grn Plinkers, 110 grn hollow points and 150 grn 30-30 bullets, they all worked great. the 30-30 bullet has a thinner jacket but that is no dis advantage unless your hunting elk/bear

Either use em' or trade/sell them to someone who actually needs 30-30 bullets as they are really hard to find right now. On the 'flip side' I am using up some 150 Gr. Spire Point bullets IN my 30-30 because I have them and have no other need for them. The up side is they really flatten out the trajectory with a noticeable improvement in accuracy.

Thanks RVTECH and all else who chimed in - yeah, that's what I was thinking, probably best just to trade them to someone who can use them.

Jason

Either use em' or trade/sell them to someone who actually needs 30-30 bullets as they are really hard to find right now. On the 'flip side' I am using up some 150 Gr. Spire Point bullets IN my 30-30 because I have them and have no other need for them. The up side is they really flatten out the trajectory with a noticeable improvement in accuracy.

I loaded up some Hornady (#3035) 150gr 30-30 bullets in my 308 and they shot really well. Hornady only rates them to 2500fps so they might be a little explosive up close for medium game. I think i was running them at 2600 and getting .75in groups at 100yds. I also loaded one with TrailBoss and they were a blast at something like 1800fps. The TB loads would be a good load to start young shooters or plink with. I would not call your purchase a waste unless you are looking to break shoulders up close or shoot past 300yds. They will kill paper just fine.
Best of luck,

I made a similar mistake, I bought some Hornaday 150gr RN's for my '06. I called Hornaday and was told they would not be good hunting bullets at less than 300 yards because I was pushing them at about 2900 fps out the barrel. That said they shoot a 1/2" group at 100 yds. I'll use them on things I don't want to eat like milk jugs full of water and Tannerite.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top