JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The longest I have shot my 03 was out to 600, great stuff!! My shooting buddy and I used it at the CMP western games in Phoenix a few years back during the vintage sniper match. Granted we didn't have a scope on it, but we didn't come in last!!! I think the 03 sights are a work of art, much better than the 03A3!

I use Varget in a couple other calibers and was hoping I wouldn't have to buy yet another powder. I tried very had to get it to work in my .30-06 and it just didn't happen. Bullets used were 165 grain Noslers - both ballistic tips and Accubonds. Accuracy was barely acceptable for my anal personality and velocity was way down over what other powders could do.

IMR 4350 is one of the go to powders for the 06 and I got good velocity and accuracy with it, using 165 and 180 grain Nosler bullets. Since I had H4831sc figured I would try that too, and even though it is a slower 06 powder then normally used especially with 165 grain bullets; it gave even better results.

Give the Varget a try but don't be surprised if you get better results from other powders. Honestly, Varget would have worked for me as it was...you don't need 3000 fps to kill a deer with an 06 and you don't need benchrest sized groups either.

I was wondering about that. I could get 2800 out of a 22" barrel with 180s, but that was pushing the limit.
Same gun rechambered to '06AI gets 2900. That's probably about where I stop.:D
Can you shoot 30-06spr out of a 30-06AI? I know you can shoot .280 Rem out of a .280AI, but does that work with other Ackley chamberings?

Can you shoot 30-06spr out of a 30-06AI? I know you can shoot .280 Rem out of a .280AI, but does that work with other Ackley chamberings?

Sort of. The point where the shoulder meets the neck is shorter on an AI than the parent cartridge. It's supposed to be enough to hold the cartridge in place when the firing pin strikes the primer, but it doesn't always work that way. Sometimes it just hammers the cartridge deeper into the chamber without igniting the round. it works about 75-80%.
I suspect that all AI cartridges are the same way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top