JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Varget is a little fast for my liking in the 30-06. It works for lighter bullets, but starts to lose pace compared to the slower powders. I like powders that fill more of the case as well. Then again, I use 22 and 24 inch barrels.

In your situation with the 18 inch barrel, a faster powder like varget might yield better results than slower powders in regards to velocity. You've essentially created a long 308 with less load density.

I would still suggest IMR 4350, Reloader 19, and Ramshot Hunter. I have had good luck with H4895 and 150gr bullets. I have use H4350 and 180gr bullets as my regular do-it-all load. Ive heard of H4831 being used in longer barrels to push the 30-06 very fast with 180gr bullets.

I would only use Varget behind a projectile up to 168 gr with a barrel that short. Other wise, IMR 4350 from 150 gr on up is the world standard, I have had pretty good luck with H4831 out of a 24 in barrel but you wanna watch for pressure spikes above a 168 gr bullet if you plan to lean on it! :)

I would only use Varget behind a projectile up to 168 gr with a barrel that short. Other wise, IMR 4350 from 150 gr on up is the world standard, I have had pretty good luck with H4831 out of a 24 in barrel but you wanna watch for pressure spikes above a 168 gr bullet if you plan to lean on it! :)

Sam Fadala wrote of a 26 inch barreled custom Mauser in 30-06 he took to Africa. He got special permission to hunt cape buffalo with it. One shot stops using 180gr Accubonds loaded with H4831 at......3006 fps(!)

In all Honesty, I never saw any gains between .30/06 and .300 Win Mag. Both have equal penetration with the exact same bullet, and while the .300 is around 150 fps faster, it makes zero difference in performance. More powder, more recoil, more expensive brass, and what, 2% increase in performance? If even that!!!

In all Honesty, I never saw any gains between .30/06 and .300 Win Mag. Both have equal penetration with the exact same bullet, and while the .300 is around 150 fps faster, it makes zero difference in performance. More powder, more recoil, more expensive brass, and what, 2% increase in performance? If even that!!!

With heavier bullets, I can get 15% or more velocity. I often used a 200gr bullet at close to 3000 fps. An 06 would be hard pressed to get 2650.

But, for most practical uses, most people would not benefit from the difference. The 300 WM has a 2.62 inch case which is too long in most 30-06 length actions unless you push the bullet deeply into the case. It really does need a true magnum length action unless fairly short throated.

I've been using Varget in .30-06 for 15 years or so;always had good results; particularly in my 1903A1 match rifle. It's my go to powder for any rifle cartridge I load for.

Now, as a side note, I'm generally uninterested in magnum cartridges but 20 years ago or so I picked up a cheap set of dies for .300 Ackley Short Magnum; sort of a precursor to the modern short magnums, 300 WM performance in a 06 length action. My intent is to build a retro long range match rifle in the .300 Ackley, top it with a good Unertl, and shoot the 220 grain BTHP. Should be a thumper...

I miss typed, I meant a 165 Gr Scirocco at 2910 using Vihtavuori N550 through a 27 inch barrel 03 Springfield semi bull barrel match. 180 gr I see about 2720 using the same powder!

I was wondering about that. I could get 2800 out of a 22" barrel with 180s, but that was pushing the limit.
Same gun rechambered to '06AI gets 2900. That's probably about where I stop.:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top