JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your preference?

• Savage Model 64

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Mossberg 702 "Plinkster"

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Rossi RS22

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
Reactions
Which would you choose?

Please, no suggestions for anything else, just these 3.

WHY?! Good question!
I'm thinking about getting one of them (don't ask) and I just want to make sure I'm not passing on a "jewel" for a "dud".
Lastly, just the LR version need apply here. I got no use for Magnums.

From what I've seen so far, The Mossy and the Rossi seem like pretty much the same gun with different brands marked on them.
The Mossberg touts itself as "The Least Expensive .22LR Rifle on the market", however, I see more favourable reviews of the Rossi than the Mossberg (mainly because there seems to be more mention of the Rossi, on the net, than the Mossberg).
The Savage uses a longer barrel, which intrigues me, but I hear there can be issues with the magazine.
Aesthetically, The Rossi looks like it was designed by an 18 year old Navy Seal wannabe.
The Savage looks like it was designed in 1977.
The Mossberg's appearance seems to be a happy medium between the other two.
All are priced similarly.

...and that's all I really know about those guns.

Please post your thoughts on these 3.

Thanks in advance.

Dean

Last Edited:
Just picked up the Rossi R22 today at the local Bi-Mart for a Grand total of $79.97. Doubt if you could find a less Less expensive pliinker. I also ordered two factory mags, a sling, a 3x9 scope and a bi pod and will be under $190.00 for the whole package brand new. Reviews on this rifle have been good and reliability and accuracy are both pretty good. Looking forward to putting it together and sending 4-5 hundred rounds down range.

I've got a review of the Rossi floating around here somewhere.

Also the Rossi and the mossberg are pretty much the same gun.

Yeah, that's what I read, too.

Anyone have any experience with the Savage?
There are a lot of you tube reviews of the Savage. There are way more upgrade parts available for the Savage also. Extended mag release, longer charging arm, stocks, ect. The Savage base model 64 is also on sale at Bi Mart this week for $99.97

Bi-Mart doesn't work for me......none around here, but thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Found one in Port Orchard. I might have to pack a lunch and take a trip....

Last Edited:
Just picked up the Rossi R22 today at the local Bi-Mart for a Grand total of $79.97. Doubt if you could find a less Less expensive pliinker. I also ordered two factory mags, a sling, a 3x9 scope and a bi pod and will be under $190.00 for the whole package brand new. Reviews on this rifle have been good and reliability and accuracy are both pretty good. Looking forward to putting it together and sending 4-5 hundred rounds down range.
How's that Rossi working for ya?

Due to the Holidays keeping me to busy I have not got out to shoot it yet. I did find the time to get the scope mounted and add a bi-pod and sling. I will post my results when I get a couple of hundred rounds down the barrel.

Just left the Sandy Bi mart and seen 3 people leaving with the Rossi 22's $89.97. I almost walked out with a Rock Island Arm 1911 only $374.95! For the GI model. But they didn't have the compact in stock.

Just left the Sandy Bi mart and seen 3 people leaving with the Rossi 22's $89.97. I almost walked out with a Rock Island Arm 1911 only $374.95! For the GI model. But they didn't have the compact in stock.
You know, that would be a cool little collection to have; standard 1911, Combat Commander and Officer's ACP.
Maybe a nice presentation case to display them in.
That's a good price on the Rossi's. :s0155:

Got out and shot the Rossi this past week. Bore sighted it at home and set up a target at 50 yards and dialed it in. Surprisingly accurate for a cheap rifle and scope (simmons 3x9x32) . Shooting fast as I could sight it was easy to keep tight groups and under poor conditions was able to shoot good groups. I am sure that under ideal conditions and a good rest groups under one inch at 50 yards would be easy. Trigger pull is good for a budget gun. Reliability was 100% with no issues . The cheap CVlife bi-pod from Amazon also worked well. $18.99 when I bought it in December 2019 and $23.99 now. The mossberg clips I bought for it worked fine also.

Get the ROSSI. Better features, weighs four pounds, nice adjustable sights, good performance. Cheap and effective.
Right now, Sportsman's Paradise has them for $129, and the Savage for $119. The Savage weighs FIVE pounds, the Rossi 4.1.

Last Edited:
Got out and shot the Rossi this past week. Bore sighted it at home and set up a target at 50 yards and dialed it in. Surprisingly accurate for a cheap rifle and scope (simmons 3x9x32) . Shooting fast as I could sight it was easy to keep tight groups and under poor conditions was able to shoot good groups. I am sure that under ideal conditions and a good rest groups under one inch at 50 yards would be easy. Trigger pull is good for a budget gun. Reliability was 100% with no issues . The cheap CVlife bi-pod from Amazon also worked well. $18.99 when I bought it in December 2019 and $23.99 now. The mossberg clips I bought for it worked fine also.
Sounds like you got the Christmas special with the bi-pod.
Thanks for the update. =)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top