JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I might have misunderstood what you guys are talking about above but anyone can build a firearm out of what every they want for their own use (as long as it conforms to other firearms laws such as barrel length and number of rounds fired per trigger pull)

The ATF only has issues if you build firearms for sale, then you are a manufacture and have to have a manufactures licence and mark everything accordingly

Last Edited:
Ok, then let's take it further.

We've all seen these models of things made from wood right. Some functional - like cars - and some not.

What if a person made a full sized replica of an AR-15 from wood? It would not work because of course the wooden barrel could not fire ammo, but it just so happened that the dimensions were the same as an actual AR15 and therefore the lower could theoretically be used with an actual upper. The person might not have intended or even known that this was something that was illegal. But the ATF gets a letter asking about it, they get one, look at it, and then everyone who bought one has an illegal firearm.
If it had the walls as thin as an AR lower, I doubt it would fire more than once. However, I suspect I could easily make a functional purpleheart one, though the walls would be substantially thicker than a typical receiver. Also, you would have to install a lpk in it.

Seriously, I might do it. It would be stupid easy and for personal use, legal. I am thinking purpleheart with a couple stainless steel plates on the insides for reinforcement potentially. It would be so easy, and you could integrate a classy stock and actually make it look like a hunting rifle.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top