JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The ogive is a lot steeper on v-max then my normal bullets. I've loaded over 200+ rounds with Berger VLDs and 135gr Sierra Matchkings without any issues. I'm using a Lee Deluxe Die Set with what I believe is the Dead Length Bullet Seater. With my normal bullets I have to screw the adjustment screw/knob close to the bottom even when I try seating far out (touching lands). I screwed the knob all the way down and still the 110 V-Max bullets were barely into the bullet and not even half way to the cannalure. I put a spacer into the adjustment knob so the floating piece that cradles the bullet could go lower. I set my dummy round up and got seating depth good. Don't work with real rounds. When I pull the case out the die, the bullet is very loose in the neck of the case where I can spin the bullet around... Do I need to go buy a new die for this bullet or ship a bullet to Lee to have them custom make something? I have a hard time believing I am the only person to have this problem...

Well I bought an RCBS die set for about 40 bucks today out of necessity. It seats the bullets but it's still loose around the cannalure so even though I can get most sat right where I need it, any pressure will push it in and I can move the bullet up and down around the cannalure. I pulled all 33 bullets. I will try reusing the primed cases with my VLDs or Matchkings later. Tomorrow I will full length size some new brass with both RCBS and Lee resizers and then seat the V-Maxs again and see what happens. This is my first experience with cannalure bullets and am wondering if that has something to do with it. Worst case senerio, I was really wanting to try the 90gr sierra varminters in my 270win anyway so perhaps that will work better then the 110 V-Max. Will update when I get to the bottom of this. I will also try seating some of my 130grSST bullets to see if it's a cannalure issue. Perhaps I got a faulty batch of V-Max? I don't know but pretty cruddy situation. I posted on accurateshooter too without any one really knowing what the problem could be.

Have you measured the diameter of the V-MAX bullets? How about the outside diameter of the resized case necks? If other bullets are seating properly and have adequate neck tension, it sounds like a bullet problem. Perhaps the Hornady's are undersized?

Which brand of brass are you using? Measure the case neck thickness, as it may be a thin batch. Lee makes a collet sizer that will clamp down regardless of the neck thickness. If the V-Maxes mike out at .277, then the brass is too thin, the expander diameter is too large or something in your procedure is the problem. I have loaded V-Maxes in .224 and .257 with zero problems - although with RCBS dies. A call or email to Lee will probably provide your answer - they are very helpful with loading problems.

Yes it sounds like a dimension is off somewhere, something is oversize or the bullets are undersize so you don't have enough neck tension. Measure the expander ball, should be .001-.002 under bullet diameter. And measure the bullets, they could be undersized.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top