JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The ogive is a lot steeper on v-max then my normal bullets. I've loaded over 200+ rounds with Berger VLDs and 135gr Sierra Matchkings without any issues. I'm using a Lee Deluxe Die Set with what I believe is the Dead Length Bullet Seater. With my normal bullets I have to screw the adjustment screw/knob close to the bottom even when I try seating far out (touching lands). I screwed the knob all the way down and still the 110 V-Max bullets were barely into the bullet and not even half way to the cannalure. I put a spacer into the adjustment knob so the floating piece that cradles the bullet could go lower. I set my dummy round up and got seating depth good. Don't work with real rounds. When I pull the case out the die, the bullet is very loose in the neck of the case where I can spin the bullet around... Do I need to go buy a new die for this bullet or ship a bullet to Lee to have them custom make something? I have a hard time believing I am the only person to have this problem...

Well I bought an RCBS die set for about 40 bucks today out of necessity. It seats the bullets but it's still loose around the cannalure so even though I can get most sat right where I need it, any pressure will push it in and I can move the bullet up and down around the cannalure. I pulled all 33 bullets. I will try reusing the primed cases with my VLDs or Matchkings later. Tomorrow I will full length size some new brass with both RCBS and Lee resizers and then seat the V-Maxs again and see what happens. This is my first experience with cannalure bullets and am wondering if that has something to do with it. Worst case senerio, I was really wanting to try the 90gr sierra varminters in my 270win anyway so perhaps that will work better then the 110 V-Max. Will update when I get to the bottom of this. I will also try seating some of my 130grSST bullets to see if it's a cannalure issue. Perhaps I got a faulty batch of V-Max? I don't know but pretty cruddy situation. I posted on accurateshooter too without any one really knowing what the problem could be.

Have you measured the diameter of the V-MAX bullets? How about the outside diameter of the resized case necks? If other bullets are seating properly and have adequate neck tension, it sounds like a bullet problem. Perhaps the Hornady's are undersized?

Which brand of brass are you using? Measure the case neck thickness, as it may be a thin batch. Lee makes a collet sizer that will clamp down regardless of the neck thickness. If the V-Maxes mike out at .277, then the brass is too thin, the expander diameter is too large or something in your procedure is the problem. I have loaded V-Maxes in .224 and .257 with zero problems - although with RCBS dies. A call or email to Lee will probably provide your answer - they are very helpful with loading problems.

Yes it sounds like a dimension is off somewhere, something is oversize or the bullets are undersize so you don't have enough neck tension. Measure the expander ball, should be .001-.002 under bullet diameter. And measure the bullets, they could be undersized.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top