JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looks pretty cool!

Introducing 26 Nosler | Flat to 415

6 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT
THE 26 NOSLER

The 26 Nosler is a non-belted, 6.5mm centerfire rifle cartridge.
Designed with a maximum C.O.A.L. of 3.340”, the 26 Nosler cartridge functions in a standard (30-06 Spfd.) length action.
The 26 Nosler is capable of firing a 130gr bullet at a Muzzle Velocity of 3400 fps.
With a useable case capacity of 93 grains of water, the 26 Nosler outperforms the 264 Win Mag by over 200fps with a 130gr bullet.
Zeroed at 350 yards, the 26 Nosler has a maximum point blank range (PBR) of 415 yards.
Loaded with the 129gr AB-LR, the 26 Nosler retains as much velocity at 400 yards as the 260 Remington produces at the muzzle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet you don't get much barrel life out of that cartridge...

Looks like an ultra mag case necked down to 6.5 maybe? It will probably be a flop like all the other 6.5 rounds are in the U.S. Too bad because I really like the 6.5mm caliber guns, they are heavily underated here in the states.

The "problem", as it were, is who they are marketing to.
The folks who don't shoot much, and hope for a flatter trajectory to save them from their miserable shooting skills.

Massive cases aren't used much in match shooting because of throat erosion and recoil. That case isn't likely to cause any varmint hunter to jump for joy, with a 93gr capacity.
So what are we left with?
Big game hunters and mall ninjas.
Honestly, with any of the top sellers in big game cartridges; there aren't any "rainbow" trajectories out there anymore. Frankly that would be irrelevant anyway...

There is no self respecting big game hunter who doesn't want to hone his skill. If you can't be bothered to learn and practice your drop to 400 yards, you have no damn business taking that shot anyway. There isn't a scope on the planet that will run out of adjustment, with any chambering, shooting to 400 yards. Not that they don't exist, but I don't know anyone running a SFP scope that dials anyway; so they wouldn't know if they were out of adjustment.

Anyone remember the old Weatherby ads? How about the remix from Lazzaroni? Guess Nosler called "next"!

Throat erosion and short barrel life are considered part of "the cost of doing business" in match shooting, and are not the impediment you seem to thing they are Darkker.

If they were, the 6.5x284W wouldn't be as popular with match shooters as it is. They regard barrels as expendable, kind of like ammo, and the avg barrel life in that cartridge is considered to be around 800-1200 rnds.

The 26 Nosler is intriguing, and looks like the ultimate Antelope and Mulie rifle for open country.

Gee, imagine Nosler pursuing that market?!? /sarc

We'll see if it exhibits the velocity consistency necessary to be considered desirable as a match round. AT 93 grains of water capacity, I rather doubt it.
But as an antelope rifle cartridge, it should be superb.
Right up there with the .270 Wby, and the .270WSM or 7mmWSM.

I do agree that a certain reduction of barrel life is expected, but.
Depending upon what type of matches you shoot in, that number moves. If erosion and then re-working all your load efforts happens to frequently, it isn't worth it. Not many 264 win mags on the line, nor the Leopard(6.5x300wsm) which have essentially the same 81gr case capacity. Take it from a Leopard owner, melting throats is easy to do when you shoot many rounds in a short time.

BTW,
The claim of more velocity at 400 than the 260 has at the muzzle; is also BS, according to Noslers own data.
They first compare the 260 using a 130gr AB. While the 26 uses a 129gr ABLR. Those bullets have radically different BC's. A quick glance in my Nosler #6 manual shows it is still BS.
I'm too lazy to re-post, but here is an article I posted, with ballistic charts.
reality check about the 26 Nosler - Shooters Forum

I've been curious about this since I first heard about it. Apparently it's 3450fps with a 129-130gr bullet and with the right bullet, capable of a 425 yard point blank range.
While it's pretty darn accurate, it's designed as a hunting cartridge, not a benchrest cartridge.
I'm as intrigued with it as I was the .375 Ruger, although for different reasons. I did buy a 375 Ruger to play with and hunted it a couple of times before deciding to trade it for something else. I'm not in the market for any Nosler rifle (for a couple of reasons) but I could see myself buying a used Ruger 77 MKII in 7mm or 300 mag and doing a barrel swap. Looks like it could be fun to play with.

+1 orygun ...

This cartridge reminds me of the 6.5 STW ( Shooting Times Westerner ) that was built on the 8mm Magnum belted case . The BC of the longer 140 gr. bullets are nothing to scoff at for long range shooting . I would love to give this one a whirl and possibly load some barnes 130 gr. TPX or an equivelent for the high desert country Mule Deer where I live . I have one of the original .264 Winchester Magnum Westerner rifles with my best handload being a 125 gr. Nosler Partition that scoots along at 3175 fps. and does sub 1 inch groups at 200 yds.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top