JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The general consensus that I see is that standard primers are used with 2400 powder, but out of curiosity I did some testing. I was working up new loads for my. 357 anyway, so I compared the two. My goal was about 1300 fps with a 158 gr bullet, which I achieved with 15.4 grains* with a CCI 500 primer. When I tested with a 550 primer I got some interesting results. First I reached my velocity requirement at 15.2* grains, and my SD really improved.

.357 158 gr JSP 2400 15.4 gr cci 500 primer; Average: 1295 fps ES: 62 SD: 23

.357 158 JSP 2400 15.2 gr cci 550 primer;
Average: 1303 fps ES: 37 SD: 12

Gun: 4" Ruger security six.

Now this was only with 10 shots so not exactly super scientific, but still very interesting. I think I will switch to a 550 primer for all my .357 and 2400 loads, and I intend to do some testing in my .44 as well.

*safe in my gun but not necessarily in yours, always work up.

Thanks for the info.
@DizzyJ , do you have the link to those tests?

Just tested 3 different loads of 200gr HP in 45 ACP in a Kimber CDP. All CCI LPP. OAL = 1.250 for all.
7 shots to test for recoil and accuracy. Didn't bother chrono'ing.
  • SR7625 @6.5gr (supposedly fairly hot). Soft recoil, pretty wide spread at 25 yards.
  • AA #2 @ 5.0gr, snappy recoil, tighter spread, still too wide for my liking.
  • W231 @ 5.5gr. Middle of the bunch in recoil, 3 bullseyes out of 7, tight spread. Winner!
Some day when I'm not so lazy, I'll pull out the Chrony Beta and see how fast they are slinging.
Edit to add, was going to try 2400 and Autocomp next, but I think I'll stick with the 231, esp since I have ~9 lbs of it.

Thanks for the info.

Just tested 3 different loads of 200gr HP in 45 ACP in a Kimber CDP. All CCI LPP. OAL = 1.250 for all.
  • SR7625 @6.5gr (supposedly fairly hot). Soft recoil, pretty wide spread at 25 yards.
  • W231 @ 5.5gr. Middle of the bunch in recoil, 3 bullseyes out of 7, tight spread. Winner!
Some day when I'm not so lazy, I'll pull out the Chrony Beta and see how fast they are slinging.
Edit to add, was going to try 2400 and Autocomp next, but I think I'll stick with the 231, esp since I have ~9 lbs of it.

I have never tried 2400 in .45, it seems too slow but that would be interesting to try. My favorite right now is CFE pistol, but I have a pound of winclean 244 I need to try as well.

Thanks for the info.

It was complete with pictures on photobucket. Then photobucket decided to screw people over and charge for using them and viewing the photos. I was pretty pissed actually. Lots of time, and effort put into that just to have the pictures disappear....

I use small rifle primers in all my small primer guns. Makes for easier logistics for me, accurate and reliable.

I've never actually checked - so small rifle primers will work in pistol cases too? That would be easier to stock if you just need one or two types of primers. Interesting idea.

They are dimensionally the same as small pistol whereas large are not.

Yep - using up a bunch of SRP in this manner. Standard story is SRP have thicker cups and MAY misfire in a pistol but I have not experienced this myself.

That's really good to know. For a while there, I couldn't find pistol primers anywhere, but small rifle primers were still readily available. Definitely making a mental note of this.

I have been using win "wlp" primers with my 2400 44 mag loads for 30 years. Never really considered if a true mag primer would make a difference. Thanks for the info.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top