JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a 10/22 with a Beyers barrel that shoots one hole groups if I do my part. My marlin m39 is almost as good
I would buy the CZ 455 as my next rimfire so I could maybe get the other two barrels in the future.
That said I have only heard great things about the Savage and the ruger Americans.
Aren't the CZs only 50 bucks more than the nicer stocked savages?

I second the Ruger American Rimfire - for the price, it's a fantastic bolt .22 Mine is a permanent part of my collection. And the fact that it uses 10/22 magazines is just a bonus - whether 10, 15 or 25 round.

I agree. My RAR will never leave the stable. It shoots just as good as a buddies CZ 453. I also believe they are on sale locally this Friday. Off the top of my head, they might have been around $250.00 at Bi-mart the other day... That's a lot of rifle for the money right there... IMHO

Last Edited:
I'd like a 77/22, but they aren't easy to find and always priced more than I want to spend on a rifle that will get little use. Part of the blame also goes to my grandpa's Marlin 81DL. It's a tube fed, full sized 22 bolt action that was purchased in the late 40's. My Dad carried it as a teenager and it's the first rifle I ever shot. I couldn't begin to tell you how many bricks of Long Rifle I've put thru this gun. I shot it recently for the first time in probably a decade. Shooting at soup cans I hit exactly where I wanted. The first two shots out of that gun in ages and they were "bullseyes". This was not unexpected.

There are lots of older tube and clip type magazine rifles out there. They are made of blued steel and wood, and are usually very accurate, plus they are not very expensive.

Last Edited:
CZ rifles

Q: Amenable to integral suppressors? Integral suppressors available?

Q: Scout scope mounting? One off custom?

RF rifles in general.

Q: Inexpensive (under $1K) toggle bolt/et. al. type action?

Q: How many of these rifles will reliably feed longs, shorts and CBs without modification?

Have you thought about a Ruger 77/22? To me, they feel much less like a 22 and more like a full-grown rifle. I really like mine. Then again, I really like my CZ 452 American as well.

I have a 77/22 WMR and agree that it feels like a centerfire rifle completely. The American does look good for a .22LR at an affordable price.

I'm with Andy on this one! The pawn shops, etc are full of older rim fire rifles for under $100. My old Mossberg will shoot with much more expensive modern rifles! You would have to know or learn what to look for, but it's not rocket surgery! Good luck finding your perfect rifle!:)

Here's mine.

IMG_0080.JPG

I would look for an older Remington 541 T-HB. THE best of the mid high end of Bolt .22 perfection! THE very best of the .22's are the Winchester Mod 52's But you are going to pay top $$$ You didn't say how much you wanna spend, but a Savage MK-II is the best of the entry price bolts, and the Anshutz Mod 64 are the high end with out getting into the target rifles! The Anshutz takes the Savage Mags FYI and the scope mounts and Ruger 10/22 front mounts, both front and rear!

CZ 452 - awesome quality and accuracy, also comes in tacticool variant with sniper stock and TB. Most will do an inch or better at 100yds with target ammo and 10+x magnification.
RAR Predator - near CZ accuracy, 1.5" at 100, 10/22 mags, TB, great price.
Browning TBolt - straight pull and available with TB. I think they offer a heavy barrel option, but most in stores are pencil barrels.
Ruger 77/22 - heavy and overbuilt, overpriced.
I have the first two and have no regrets.
My most accurate 22 however is a Kimber Pro Varmint. It will print <1" at 100yds with minimags and near 1/2" with target ammo. 25yds one hole. They don't make this one anymore unfortunately.

Over here in Europe, especially in the yUK and RoI, CZ rules the sales. Our late club chairman bought on back in the late fifties, and donated it to the club about fifteen years ago for noobs to use to practice open-sight shooting. It had prolly had a quarter million shots down it, and the night before he gave it to us it had accounted for six foxes.

There is a CZ rifle for everybody. Even the slightly less than great trigger can be improved by the application of $10.

Buy one and be happy.

tac
Heh, I did a trigger job on my 452 for 73 cents. Polished the bolt, shimmed the hammer with aluminum tape that I had, replaced the trigger spring with a shorter one from ACE Hardware to let me lower the trigger pull below ~3 pounds. I usually run it at about 1.5 pounds unless I have kids shooting it. Absolutely love this rifle.

CZ 452 - awesome quality and accuracy, also comes in tacticool variant with sniper stock and TB. Most will do an inch or better at 100yds with target ammo and 10+x magnification.
RAR Predator - near CZ accuracy, 1.5" at 100, 10/22 mags, TB, great price.
Browning TBolt - straight pull and available with TB. I think they offer a heavy barrel option, but most in stores are pencil barrels.
Ruger 77/22 - heavy and overbuilt, overpriced.
I have the first two and have no regrets.
My most accurate 22 however is a Kimber Pro Varmint. It will print <1" at 100yds with minimags and near 1/2" with target ammo. 25yds one hole. They don't make this one anymore unfortunately.
I have a Kimber that is a tack driver also, not the varmint model as you have. One of my most accurate rifle at 100 yards.

If you don't mind older rifles here is a list of rifles that I have owned or shot and would be great for what you are asking.

Remington models 513 , 521 , 510P , 511P and 512P.
The later production of the 510, 511 and 512 will have grooves for scope rings.
The 510 is a single shot , the 511 is box magazine and the 512 is a tube magazine.

Winchester models 68 , 69 , 72 ,75 and 52
The model 68 is a single shot with peep sights.
The model 52 is an excellent rifle but spendy.
There are model 52 reproductions that cost less and they shoot just as well.

Mossberg models 44 and 144
These are excellent , but often overlooked rifles.

The CZ 452 is a good fun shooter as well.
Andy

If you don't mind older rifles here is a list of rifles that I have owned or shot and would be great for what you are asking.

Remington models 513 , 521 , 510P , 511P and 512P.
The later production of the 510, 511 and 512 will have grooves for scope rings.
The 510 is a single shot , the 511 is box magazine and the 512 is a tube magazine.

Winchester models 68 , 69 , 72 ,75 and 52
The model 68 is a single shot with peep sights.
The model 52 is an excellent rifle but spendy.
There are model 52 reproductions that cost less and they shoot just as well.

Mossberg models 44 and 144
These are excellent , but often overlooked rifles.

The CZ 452 is a good fun shooter as well.
Andy

This guy knows what he's talking about. I've had most of these and just gave my 44US to my grandson. I even had a 52 Sporter at one time.

I agree with the Ruger a d CZ's though i habe a kimber boltt action that i got from my dad that is hard to beat. Its almost too pretty to shoot

Ah, yes, the Kimber, as in Kimber of Oregon and supplied in a spiffy wooden crate. There's one in our local gun-store, almost mint AFAICR, with an amazing price tag on it that I'm not prepared to divulge unless asked.

Oh, alright.

It's £1000.00.

:eek:

tac