JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, I am wanting to buy a 22lr bolt action rifle, this will mainly be a fun gun and for practicing long range shooting.

I have been looking at the savage mark II but there are sooo many models i dont know what to choose. also the CZ 455 looks like a good option.. anyone have any imput or personal experiences they could share to help me decide?

Thanks!

I have a Lakefield Mark II ( predecessor to the Savage ), it has been a great gun. While not "top tier", it has proven to be accurate and reliable.

My thoughs between your two...if you plan on leaving it stock and just shooting it, CZ. If you plan on any customization, Savage. The CZ is a very nice gun out of the box, and on my "want" list, but I think the Savage has an edge in aftermarket support.

That said, my Winchester 69a is my hands down favorite.. :D

I have a Savage and am real happy with it. I don't do long range with it but its short range is great. I picked it up cheap with a bushnell 3-9 on it on black friday a few years ago.

Really impressed with my CZ 455 Lux. Not many aftermarket gizmos but it doesn't need anything out of the box.

If you want to add optics get the American or Varmit with the higher comb.

Savage Mk II TR. A total tack driver.

IMG_0388.JPG

If you don't mind older rifles here is a list of rifles that I have owned or shot and would be great for what you are asking.

Remington models 513 , 521 , 510P , 511P and 512P.
The later production of the 510, 511 and 512 will have grooves for scope rings.
The 510 is a single shot , the 511 is box magazine and the 512 is a tube magazine.

Winchester models 68 , 69 , 72 ,75 and 52
The model 68 is a single shot with peep sights.
The model 52 is an excellent rifle but spendy.
There are model 52 reproductions that cost less and they shoot just as well.

Mossberg models 44 and 144
These are excellent , but often overlooked rifles.

The CZ 452 is a good fun shooter as well.
Andy

Ruger american rimfire is another one to look at, I've got one in .22 mag that shoots great.
also have a savage fvsr that will shoot as good as my custom 10/22.

I have a cz455 military trainer and I absolutely love it. I feel like, for the money ($350ish) it's hard to find a better bolt action .22
(Or .17, or .22mag, as you can swap out barrels on them and shoot multiple calipers through one gun)
The 452 is also super sweet, but they are getting harder to find, and don't have interchangeable barrels, you're stuck with .22

As someone mentioned above, if you want to put optics on check out the American or varmint models, which have stocks that are better suited to optics.
Precise shooter in lynnwood, wa has all variants of the cz rimfire rifles in stock, if you are looking for a store where you can compare them.

I would strongly suggest the CZs. I have 452 American and Varmint and to me there most accurate .22s I've owned or shot. Have owned Magnum Research Carbon fiber .22 gone several savage .22s gone. A volquartsen barreled 10/22 home build still have. Mine like simple blazer .22 ammo or wolf or SK. Find what it likes and you will be amazed. Way overlooked in our gun world.

IMG_1349.JPG IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1359.JPG Kens camera 232.jpg :)

Last Edited:
Over here in Europe, especially in the yUK and RoI, CZ rules the sales. Our late club chairman bought on back in the late fifties, and donated it to the club about fifteen years ago for noobs to use to practice open-sight shooting. It had prolly had a quarter million shots down it, and the night before he gave it to us it had accounted for six foxes.

There is a CZ rifle for everybody. Even the slightly less than great trigger can be improved by the application of $10.

Buy one and be happy.

tac

Hey, I am wanting to buy a 22lr bolt action rifle, this will mainly be a fun gun and for practicing long range shooting.

I have been looking at the savage mark II but there are sooo many models i dont know what to choose. also the CZ 455 looks like a good option.. anyone have any imput or personal experiences they could share to help me decide?

Thanks!

I can never convince anyone Dodge is better than a Ford any more than I will convince anybody that a Marlin is better than a Savage, so this discussion will remain at best, rhetorical.o_O

There are so many choices in the bolt action rimfire market. Cheap, expensive, and everything in-between. Sometimes the cheap guns shoot better than some guns that cost a lot more.

I've owned and/or shot a whole lot of bolt action rimfires. In a nutshell, recently speaking, by far the most accurate .22 bolt action I've shot is the rather inexpensive Ruger American Rimfire. More accurate than many guns that were otherwise marketed as target-models. I think new price is hovering around $269, but I've seen like-new 2nd-hand rifles sell for much less.

WAYNO.

I don't know if the newer CZs with the changeable barrels shoot as good as the older fixed or threaded barrel models. I know my 452s are hammer forged barrels. I'm not nocking any brands. I have an old Remington Sportsmaster w iron sight that shoots very well. Love the lever Henerys also. Probably a lot of great shooters in many brands.

I can never convince anyone Dodge is better than a Ford any more than I will convince anybody that a Marlin is better than a Savage, so this discussion will remain at best, rhetorical.o_O

There are so many choices in the bolt action rimfire market. Cheap, expensive, and everything in-between. Sometimes the cheap guns shoot better than some guns that cost a lot more.

I've owned and/or shot a whole lot of bolt action rimfires. In a nutshell, recently speaking, by far the most accurate .22 bolt action I've shot is the rather inexpensive Ruger American Rimfire. More accurate than many guns that were otherwise marketed as target-models. I think new price is hovering around $269, but I've seen like-new 2nd-hand rifles sell for much less.

WAYNO.

I second the Ruger American Rimfire - for the price, it's a fantastic bolt .22 Mine is a permanent part of my collection. And the fact that it uses 10/22 magazines is just a bonus - whether 10, 15 or 25 round.

I have been pleased with both the 452 and 455 series CZ rifles. As posed above by tac, the only modification I typically perform is a little trigger work, which is inexpensive and straightforward. The CZ is a pretty nice rifle for the money in my opinion.