JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Research suggests 5.56 NOT be used in .223 chambers.

P
It's not just 5.56..
5.56 NATO, A.K.A SS109, M855, 62 gr green tips is where problems can occur.

55 gr and other is not the same.

The shape of the projectile (boolit) from a 5.56 NATO and chamber of a .223 will cause pressure spikes.

I believe Lucky Gunner did a 5.56 NATO in a .223 chamber with pressure charts and other nerdy stuff.

With just about everyone offering .223 Wylde as an option I doubt it's a marketing gimmick.
The barrel profile I got from Wilson is only chambered in .223 Wylde.
I suspect that they have spent more in ammo testing barrels and such than I have or ever will.

just don't see the point, my mini says it is chambered for .223 but will shoot both, my ar is chambered for 5.56 but will shoot both. so what is the point.

Research suggests 5.56 NOT be used in .223 chambers.

P
Is it possible that the Mini whatever, has actually a 5.56 NATO chamber but is marked .223?

Have you made a chamber cast for the Mini to compare to the 5.56 AR?

And @powermad ; what about the older M193 55gr FMJ round?

And @powermad ; what about the older M193 55gr FMJ round?
That has a .223 like profile and is not the same as green tips.
M193, while saying 5.56x45 and having a NATO head stamp is not 5.56 NATO.

SS109, NATO designation and M855 Military designation are 62 gr green tips.

If you really have to shoot some green tips through a .223 chamber I would at least drop a Colt spec 5.56 NATO (1.4646") go gauge in it first.

just don't see the point, my mini says it is chambered for .223 but will shoot both, my ar is chambered for 5.56 but will shoot both. so what is the point.
The 223 chamber is not designed to shoot 556 and can cause pressure issues. The 556 chamber is not designed to shoot 223 but safely will but there is a question of reduced accuracy and velocity.
The point of the 223 Wylde is its designed specifically to shoot both and retain accuracy.

The 223 chamber is not designed to shoot 556 and can cause pressure issues. The 556 chamber is not designed to shoot 223 but safely will but there is a question of reduced accuracy and velocity.
The point of the 223 Wylde is its designed specifically to shoot both and retain accuracy.
There ya go.

That's what I was getting at, you just said it better.

Just because its 5.56x45 doesn't mean it's 5.56 NATO.
There is only one 5.56 NATO spec cartridge, M855 green tips.

I would venture to say that the majority of people don't shoot 5.56 NATO for plinking or precision shooting anyway.
I have some stashed away and stocked up on Mk318 for duty type use.

My SPR barrel is a 1:8, .223 Wylde. It better like 77gr as I got a bunch of it to try out.
What length is your barrel?

Mine is 18", 1:8 also, and it shoots every thing well but the only sub MOA groups I've gotten were 69gr or 75gr BTHP at 223rem velocities. When I shoot the same ammo in 556 specs (just a little hotter) the groups open up to 1.5", and the 77gr shoot about the same. But all barrels are different.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews