JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Basically the lead is shorter than 5.56 but not as tight as a .223 eliminating the pressure spike from firing a 5.56 in a .223 chamber but gaining some accuracy over the 5.56 lead (the lead length is the only difference between .223 and 5.56)

Last Edited:
< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

Basically the lead is shorter than 5.56 but not as tight as a .223 eliminateing the pressure spike from firing a 5.56 in a .223 chamber but gaining some accuracy over the 5.56 lead (the lead lenght is the only difference between .223 and 5.56)
Actually there is more to it than just the leade, (correct spelling BTW) the case is thicker on the 5.56. Here's a couple articles on it:
http://www.gundigest.com/ammunition-reviews-articles/223-vs-5-56

http://www.humanevents.com/2011/02/15/223-remington-vs-556-nato-what-you-dont-know-could-hurt-you/

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member
WAC member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Im curious as ive only stayed with (556) barrels. ..im thinking about doing a 223 Wylde 10.5" barrel...so should I just buy a 556 10.5 barrel since all I buy is stuff labeled 556...being wylde id like to have a option without downsides

I can't see that there would be any benefit. The .223 Wylde adds a small amount of precision/accuracy to the 5.56 chamber. You are not going to be shooting 500 yards with a 10.5" barrel. I would stick with the 5.56 in your case. I have two .223 Wylde guns. One a 16" and one a 20". Honastly unless you are hand loading and trying to squeeze that last half inch out of your group I don't think it will do anything for you. I can't shoot any better with the Wylde guns than the 5.56. Both are capable of better groups than I can shoot

You know back in the 50's and 60-70-80-90's when I was shooting GI ammo in my civvy guns Pundits would often comment about the thicker brass in GI ammo, important, when reloading max pressure loads (which I avoid).
I have fired 1000's of 556 through 223 labeled rifles and visa versa, never a problem
The 556 chamber is looser than a 223 chamber because military firearms are expected to be used in full auto mode in a dirty environment. 223 chambers are tighter as an aid to accuracy in a civilian environment.
If 556 did not meet SAAMI specs for 223 it would not be sold by retailers, period.
But please, feel free to agonize as much as you want

Well shoot I guess if I have a 20" barrel it should be in 233. ..time to let my stag 20" 556 to the curb...I guess thats why all variant barrels are 223 and not 556

You know back in the 50's and 60-70-80-90's when I was shooting GI ammo in my civvy guns Pundits would often comment about the thicker brass in GI ammo, important, when reloading max pressure loads (which I avoid).
I have fired 1000's of 556 through 223 labeled rifles and visa versa, never a problem
The 556 chamber is looser than a 223 chamber because military firearms are expected to be used in full auto mode in a dirty environment. 223 chambers are tighter as an aid to accuracy in a civilian environment.
If 556 did not meet SAAMI specs for 223 it would not be sold by retailers, period.
But please, feel free to agonize as much as you want

Using 5.56 in a rifle chambered for .223 causes an increase in chamber pressure. The pressure exceeds that of the "proof load" fired at the factory every single round. The increase might not blow up the rifle. However, added to other pressure-increasing factors, it can cause problems. If you are shooting a dirty rifle on a hot day with ammo loaded in soft cases you can quickly cause malfunctions from brass being shorn off by the ejector. Excessive pressure can cause cases to stick and then the extractor fails to extract. Changing any single factor can reduce or exacerbate the problem. The fact is shooting 5.56 in a gun chambered for .223 forces the gun to operate at pressures beyond its design parameters . The pressure generated is considerably higher than firing a 5.56 in a 5.56 chambered gun ( I am not smart enough to explain those mechanics but its true) by something like 40%

Let me ask this question then, reason I asked was because I am filling out my SBR form. Could I safely assume that if I just put .223 for caliber all would be ok, or should I put .223 Wylde or even 5.56??

Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top