JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Good info, and some way beyond me. The jiggling @$$ avatar was a special treat, Thanks, Wheels
That belongs on http://www.girlsinyogapants.com/

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Here's an article that presents some of it:
As if the confusion regarding the .223 vs 5.56 chambers wasn't enough, there is a third possibility in the mix, that is being used by at least one major manufacturer. The .223 Wylde chamber is a modified SAAMI-spec .223 chamber that allows for the safe use of 5.56 NATO rounds, but maintains tighter tolerances for better accuracy.

http://www.humanevents.com/2011/02/15/223-remington-vs-556-nato-what-you-dont-know-could-hurt-you/

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Last Edited:
I've been happy with it in my RRA Predator Pursuit. It will shoot sub MOA all day long. I mostly shoot reloads but it's nice to have the option for 5.56 rounds.

I can't think of any cons.

I have a Wylde chambered barrel and it eats anything I throw in there. Mag length ammo works great. Most of my shooting is 600 yards or beyond so I prefer to seat bullets near the lands. Obviously they have to be single fed in an AR. I would definitely say my loads are at the upper end pressure wise. The Wylde chamber is good to go.:)

From what i've read it's the bees knees.
Best of both worlds.
Kinda wished I would have picked one up when I bought my 24" 5.56 barrel. But of course i read about it a couple days after i ordered it

From what i've read it's the bees knees.
Best of both worlds.
Kinda wished I would have picked one up when I bought my 24" 5.56 barrel. But of course i read about it a couple days after i ordered it

Note to self ,read about it BEFORE I purchase.
Good concept,maybe I'll try it some day,lol

I always figured it was a new,BS, marketing word,but after reading most of the posts about it,I see I was mistaken.

marketing gimmick, nothing more
In my experience there are benefits to the Wylde changing. It's not a gimmick.

Where my 5.56 ARs shoot some ammo more accurately than others my 223 wylde AR shoots all ammo with the same/similar accuracy. In my limited experience it's inherently more accurate. I don't have any 223 Remington ride rifles to compare.

Also, 556 chambers are designed to shoot 556 but can also shoot 223, 223 chambers are designed to shoot 223 but can also shoot 556, 223 wylde was designed to shoot both.

If you don't care for 223 wylde that's fine, but it's been proven to have it's benefits.

In my experience there are benefits to the Wylde changing. It's not a gimmick.

Where my 5.56 ARs shoot some ammo more accurately than others my 223 wylde AR shoots all ammo with the same/similar accuracy. In my limited experience it's inherently more accurate. I don't have any 223 Remington ride rifles to compare.

Also, 556 chambers are designed to shoot 556 but can also shoot 223, 223 chambers are designed to shoot 223 but can also shoot 556, 223 wylde was designed to shoot both.

If you don't care for 223 wylde that's fine, but it's been proven to have it's benefits.
just don't see the point, my mini says it is chambered for .223 but will shoot both, my ar is chambered for 5.56 but will shoot both. so what is the point.

just don't see the point, my mini says it is chambered for .223 but will shoot both, my ar is chambered for 5.56 but will shoot both. so what is the point.
But you missed the point. You said it's a gimmick but it's not. 223 wylde has proven benefits over 223 and 556 in certain applications.

I gave you two points in my original reply and a little online searching you can find more.

No one said you have to own a 223 wylde rifle, I'm not trying to convince you to buy one. But Just because you feel that you don't need one doesn't mean it's a gimmick and that doesn't mean it's not the right choice for someone else. And since you don't own a rifle in 223 wylde I would say your not really qualified to make that assessment.

Just because its 5.56x45 doesn't mean it's 5.56 NATO.
There is only one 5.56 NATO spec cartridge, M855 green tips.

I would venture to say that the majority of people don't shoot 5.56 NATO for plinking or precision shooting anyway.
I have some stashed away and stocked up on Mk318 for duty type use.

My SPR barrel is a 1:8, .223 Wylde. It better like 77gr as I got a bunch of it to try out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top