JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is brand new .223 Nosler brass, unfired. The first time it happened was on my first ladder test using only new unfired Nosler brass working my way up charge weights at 26.5g powder charge 2 cases had a crack in them running lengthwise on the side of the case. So I stopped using the Nosler brass in favor of some Federal brass and starting over again worked up a load using Federal brass. I went back to some new unfired Nosler brass to see how it groups with my recipe settled at 26.2g but one of the 5 cases cracked in the same way. Meanwhile the Federal brass has been loaded 4 times now some even hotter and no signs of pressure, same for some Winchester brass.
Powder is A2520

Is Nosler brass just a weaker brass?

Screenshot_20220630-213047.png

No doubt that Nosler will do you right if you send them the pic and the lot number, if you have it. IME they are very responsive to customers.
Im not certain what they can do when it comes to reloading, for all -they- know I screwed up something in my process. Also these are factory seconds (blems) from their Shooters pro shop.

Go with Lapua or Norma maybe. A little more now but they last.
if I can find it, maybe now since some things are coming back to the shelves. Ive been having great luck with Federal brass but I only have a handful. I'm starting to experiment now with other brass on hand, Winchester held up fine but grouped all over and poor extreme spread but I think thats because they crimped their mouths and my trimming job sucked on those samples. I have some once fired Hornady brass to test next.
My Federal brass has been consistent and getting tighter groups each time as I fine tune my learning curve.
I bought a bag of Top Brass that has more Federal brass in it and im sorting them out but they have a different year stamp on them, hoping that wont matter? (FC21 vs FC18 etc.)

I bought a bag of Top Brass that has more Federal brass in it and im sorting them out but they have a different year stamp on them, hoping that wont matter? (FC21 vs FC18 etc.)
That is just the year stamp from when it was made. Just as a reminder, don't forget to remove the primer crimps on the brass or could cost you primers.

That is just the year stamp from when it was made. Just as a reminder, don't forget to remove the primer crimps on the brass or could cost you primers.
Im hoping its just simply "federal brass is federal brass" regardless of the year they were made.

Good reminder on the primer pocket, i screwed up a primer once was amazed how much it withstood being mangled without going off.

Ive been working the old primer crimp out by hand with a pocket cleaner tool but need to remember to buy a dedicated crimp removal tool....

Last Edited:
RE : .223 Nosler Brass Quality

nice-to-know.gif

Aloha, Mark

PS.....do you anneal your brass? Yes, most folks do it/limit it to the case necks. Though.....I'm just asking

Did I miss a bullet weight in there somewhere? If not, please mention weight and type.

I've never seen longitudinal cracks along the main body of a .223 Rem case like that. Necks, shoulders and case heads but not as shown.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top