JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most sizing dies will work. However, for the bullet seating die, I go with a Forster benchrest micrometer seating die. Easy for precision adjustments and really helps reduce runout.

I'm assuming you're reloading for a semi-auto rifle. I've loaded 223/5.56 for a long time and never felt the need for small base dies...until I bought a Rock River match rifle.
I've reloaded for ARs and bolt actions and it all worked fine with my RCBS and Dillon dies. But when I got the RR, it was really tight no matter how I adjusted it. I finally bought a set of Lyman Small Base dies and problem solved.
I do highly recommend that you buy a case gauge. They cost less than $20 but give you a quick check that the case is properly sized and whether it needs to be trimmed.

I've used the RCBS AR small base dies for 223, 762x39, and 300aac. All work great.
I've also had good luck with RCBS & Hornady 9mm dies. I prefer the Hornady seating die since I find small adjustments are made easier.

Any recommended die sets for these popular calibers? Someone suggested a small base die for .223/5.56.

Uuhh, Which ever ones you can find available? Under $100.00? Do I win something?

I like Hornady, for some reason. Maybe because they come with the lock rings that are way better than RCBS. Lee lock rings suck. But Lee comes WITH the shell holder. I have Lee in 9mm and .40 but I got Hornady lock rings for the sizing/seating dies.

Carbine 9mm (get a Lee 4 die set, then you can seat and do a factory crimp in a separate step)
Small base .223 dies (RCBS)

In today's market, any you can find.

I run Hornady and RCBS mostly.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR