JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Outdoorxj I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a bone stock carbine and a safe queen MKIII that I'll be running. We can get the same looks.

Me too, I've got a bare bones Buckmark with a cheap red dot on it.
It will work just fine. People can give me all the funny looks they want :)

I have a tricked out 10/22 and 22/45 but i suck at steel So what is better? Someone with a tricked out ruger or a bone stock lol

Exactly, the fanciest, most expensive gun in the world is not going to over come my level of skill. The object is just to go have fun, learn, and get some experience. My goal is just not to be the worst shooter there, otherwise I don't care :)

After waiting over two hours to shoot and facing at least another two hour wait, we gave up and left without shooting. Major disappointment as well as a waste of time and money. More later with some suggestions for improvement when I'm not typing on my phone.

Sooooo I know this is only the 2nd comp run but here are some of my complaints/opinion only shot 1 gun but paid to shoot 2 guns then left early because I was tired of waiting around. The wait was very long and many people showed up late and still got to shoot. It wasn't fair to the people who showed up at 8am (like we were suppost to) then you have to wait all day to shoot again. I think there's a lot to be improved at these up coming comps. Now with some of the negitives out of the way I had a blast shooting at steel and even running a station for a little bit. I was more excited that my dad came all the way over from bend to see me shoot so I'm happy he atleast saw me shoot once. Lunch was awsome and a lot of cool people where here. A lot of good shooters especially that young girl maggie, She kicked *** and she looks like she's 8. I will deffinitly be at the next one. Thank you kimber for setting this up.

The first comp setup I think was better. One pistol one rifle at each stage, shoot pistol then rifle then everyone on all 4 stages goes down and checks/paints their targets. Divide the people into 4 squads for each stage. And then rotate. Needless to say I showed up and immediately saw the impending waits and left within 30 min of showing up. Kimber thank you for efforts in setting this up again, but there is defiantly some more kinks to work out.

Well - that was not what I was expecting. Clearly I was not prepared for 2x growth from last time.

If anyone was there and did not feel you got your moneys worth; PM me and I will make it right.

As for lessons I learned:
* Ask everyone to be there @8:30, safety brief at 8:45 and start sending rounds down range @9 SHARP. Even if we have to add people who come in late after the fact; start getting rounds down range right away.

* Bring bailing wire for those pesky targets that are designed to fall over to keep them from falling over.

* Run in squads - assign shooters to squads and everyone in that squad shoots the whole stage and rotate the squads. This will fix the staggered start delay, the reloading mags between stages issue and get everyone some trigger time faster.

I am open to suggestions either here, via PM or call me 555 000 333 333 111 999 999 333 555 999.

I'm also going to explore shooting on both the silhouette range and the dynamic range at the same time.

A few suggestions that can't do anything with - I can't change the target colors. RC rules state all targets must be white. When I get my own set of targets I can play with base color. Seems like there was more but I'm *really* tired.

Again, thanks to those who came and stuck it out. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Thanks for your effort again, just lots of kinks to work out. And info that should be passed on.
For instance, the original post said 9:00-4:00. To me that means that you show up anytime between those two times. It didn't indicate that you should be there
by 8:30. We showed up and 10:00 at the registration was closed. However, the people there were gracious enough to let us enter anyway. I didn't mind waiting to shoot, but four hours or more was unreasonably long. We left at 1:00 and they were only halfway through the list of names....ie there was still 50% of the people waiting to shoot.
And that was after nearly three hours :(
What I would recommend is having an online sign up and pay in advance. We drove over an hour there and would not like to have been turned away because we didn't realize we were really supposed to be there by 8:30. That way you could assign people times to show up instead of having some people shoot immediately and some wait several hours.
And people would know right away that they could or could not enter if the registration was closed instead of finding out after arriving there.
Also, don't start everyone at one end. There was a huge back up there while very few people were shooting at the other stations. Some of them had no shooters at all. Split people evenly between the stations and people could just rotate to the next station when done.

We were just really disappointed because we had looked forward to this and gave up a Saturday event we normally take part in. And we had my brother in law psyched up to go, this was going to be his first competition. We stuck out waiting almost three hours, but to wait another two was just too much to expect. So we left disappointed and sad we couldn't shoot.
However, we do appreciate being allowed to register even though we came late.....and the effort all made to try to make the event more organized.
As state above, it actually was better last year even though it was disorganized-at least we got to shoot :)

So, to sum it up:
Do online registration. If people pay and don't show up or if they cancel in less than 48 hours, they don't get a refund.
Not only can you control how many register, you prevent people from showing up and not being able to participate because the registration is full.

Make it clear when people need to be there. State an exact time (8:30 or whatever) because it was confusing when the OP said the event was 9:00-4:00.
Or if people register online, give them times to show up. ie, those who are the first 20 registered show up at 9:00, the next 20 at 10:30, just as an idea.

Don't start people on one end and have them work down. Line people up at 9:00 behind each station and utilize each station immediately.

Again, appreciate your effort even if we ended up not shooting.

I am willing to give another event a try, but not sure I can talk my husband or brother in law into it...:(

I was there for 9 hours to shoot 2 guns.. Thankfully there where good people to chat with and I believe any day at the range is a good day. Pre registration I believe would be a big help and squads would help groups sick together. Also due to preregistration those who show up 2 hours late wouldnt hold anyone else back.

Thank you all who worked the clocks, rso's and Kimber for his hard work and keeping the ball rolling.

NW GlockGal
Sorry you were disappointed. Hope you and your family come again.
I know one guy drove 3 hours one way to attend.

This match introduces folks to the shooting match sport.
Way to learn the flow, range commands, safety rules etc.
Today's was the 2nd match. Much more better flow this time.
First match (Oct 12) had shooters starting all at once at all stations. Was like a cat stampeed!

9 to 4 was pretty close call timewise. Ended up being 9 to 5:30ish. Over 60 shooters participated.
Little kids too. Amazing what they can do.
A Husband had to leave for work so his wife took his place. First time shooter, and did quite well.
Several folks visited just to watch.

When the event says 9-4 for a match, means start time is 9am.
Plan to arrive a bit early so you can park, register, schmoose.
Match Director Ben (Kimber Custom) briefed the shooters at 9am.
Coffee was provided, several folks brought doughnuts, danish (help yourself potluck snack breakfast).
Lunch was available (hot dogs, chips, carrots, dip)

Ben's wife Christa did the registration. Their 2 kids helped a lot. Probably started Reg around 8am ish (32 degrees chilly).
Estimated 2 tons of target steel was hauled from the shed to the range and placed by participants before the start time.
We moved a good part of it back to the shed at 5pm. Trophys, medals, prizes were awarded. (none for me).

I was one of the range safety folks with the bright yellow vests. The Boss RSO for this match was Grizz (with the wild beard).
There were no incidents (Murphy won't make an appearance when we have bandaids handy).

Tomorrow (Sunday) is a 3-gun match. 9mm handguns, AR rifles, shotguns. Not for newbie shooters, but some try.

May 24 is the next 22 Challenge, 9-4 as today, will be much warmer, niiccceee!

I had a blast. I met a lot of great people, very nice and helpful. I learned alot as well. I also saw a lot of great guns. There are a few things that I learned that I think will help. One of them is for the participants to have plenty of magazines, it will help make the process move faster. (People were helping reloading too) but over all a blast I will be at the next one, gives me plenty of time to practice and figure out my gun. I also want to thatnk digital, a good guy and very helpful.

Thanks Kimber,RSO's,whoever was responsible for the prizes and ALL who participated in the set up and take down of this event. Look forward to the one in May. I think we were all suprised at the amount of people that showed up to shoot. Didn't know there was that much 22 ammo out there.

I had a blast. Thanks to all who gave up there Saturday to help with the event. I know there will be some growing pains and that things will only get better. Any word where the scores will be posted?

I had a blast. I met a lot of great people, very nice and helpful. I learned alot as well. I also saw a lot of great guns. There are a few things that I learned that I think will help. One of them is for the participants to have plenty of magazines, it will help make the process move faster. (People were helping reloading too) but over all a blast I will be at the next one, gives me plenty of time to practice and figure out my gun. I also want to thatnk digital, a good guy and very helpful.

thanks man! have you looked into cleaning your mag? I think I am going to clean mine.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top