JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks Ben for a great shoot! :) To all who were dissapointed growing pains are growing pains. Please remember this whole thing is all done by deticated people that get paid nothing........We are not the Beverly Hills Gun Club:s0114:

The Formula for a smooth match....

1. Show up early.
2. Ask how you can help
3. Have your equipment ready
4. Be patient
5. have fun
6. Stay after to help clean up

this formula has never failed me yet:s0155:

Any day at the range is a good day

If you guys had 60 shooters, and people were waiting around for hours to shoot, then why not restrict the number of shooters? Sounds like you flat out had too many people trying to file through too small a bottleneck!

I never imagined we would go from 35-65 on our second run in January. I really expected things to flow smoother by moving shooters through each stage in order. I hadn't anticipated the time necessary to reload magazines. I didn't realize how much time would be lost not running all 4 stages out of the gate. Then Murphy stepped in and started knocking down targets that were supposed to stay standing and my first shooter up had equipment failures. I wanted to crawl into a hole when it was 10:30 and only 8 people had shot.

On the one hand I was deeply disheartened that people were leaving because they couldn't shoot. Felt like a failure. On the other hand now that I've seen what happens at 60+ shooters I know what the obstacles are and I can prepare for them:

So step 1, get both ranges. I've already asked the club to book the Dynamic Range as well for future shoots (there's a conflict in July so I'm not sure what I'm going to do there - two day event?)

Squad shooters - it's how IPSIC and 3 gun run so clearly it's the way to go. That will fix mag reloading issues and keep all stages running at once.

Dump the 'guns moving' command - I lost a lot of time clearing the line twice. The range just needs to be cold or hot and trust the RSO's to monitor safe movements.

Create a hard stop of 5 or 6 minutes between 'line is hot' and 'cease fire'. Done or not.

I'm still wrapping my brain around pre-registration and maybe assigned shooting times.

So far most people said they had a great time and are eager to do it again. Nobody has PM'd me about any further refunds. I appreciate the grace and I will strive to make it better for next time.

Ben don't feel disheartened. Like someone else said before there are growing pains involved. I also am seeing more people complaining on here after the fact than I saw volunteer to help during the event. My wife and I came out as non-member participants to the event. After seeing the grounds, meeting some great people, and participating in an awesome event we have decided to join DRRC. We are also hoping to find time this year to get to an appleseed event. Thanks for an awesome time!

Ben you have some great ideas for next time

Just look at what went rite this time...

1. 100% setup the night before
2. 100% growth from last time
3. no rain!!!!
4. no accidents (no one got shot)
5. cleanup went quick
6. 95% were happy with the match(the other 5% will never be happy no mater what)

In 3-gun and USPSA you only shoot 2-5 minutes total and the rest of the time you wait around. If you cant stand waiting around then mabee competitive shooting is not for you. No match will be able to structure the event so people can just show up and shoot and leave. Squading the shooters will reduce wait times but the fact remains..... 95% waiting 5% shooting;)

Thats my 2.00015 cents

Ben;
Thanks for ALL your efforts.
This shoot introduces new folks to challenge events.

Start at Station one. Keeps guns moving in one direction on the firing line.

Only 3 per station (shooter, score keeper, RSO) all others stay back on the concrete and no talking during range commands!

A hard stop of 5 minutes would work.

Range commands streamlined (Cease fire - unload all actions, The line is cold, Move forward to Paint targets, Guns moving, The line is hot - load and fire).

Ben you have some great ideas for next time

Just look at what went rite this time...

1. 100% setup the night before
2. 100% growth from last time
3. no rain!!!!
4. no accidents (no one got shot)
5. cleanup went quick
6. 95% were happy with the match(the other 5% will never be happy no mater what)

In 3-gun and USPSA you only shoot 2-5 minutes total and the rest of the time you wait around. If you cant stand waiting around then mabee competitive shooting is not for you. No match will be able to structure the event so people can just show up and shoot and leave. Squading the shooters will reduce wait times but the fact remains..... 95% waiting 5% shooting;)

Thats my 2.00015 cents

Pefectly said and accurate, I was also an RSO at the match and had a great time, as did everyone I talked with. Whenever you have the amount of people as a match shoot has you cannot have a free for all, that is why it is called a disipline, there are rules and protocals that have to be followed to assure there are no accidents. One such DRRC rule is a pre match rules and safety meeting that all shooters are required to attend, this is mandatory, if you are going to shoot in the match you must attend. So as earlier posted by Rick Benjamin show up early, if the match starts at 9:00 am all shooters need to be there in time to be at the orientation prior to the match. I can't wait for the next one, with the ideas that Ben has come up with, and the growth we have seen, it is going to be a blast.

thanks Ben I thought it went well for being the 2nd match ever. I use to be a JR NRA small bore shooter and the few post above are right. You wait all day to shoot for 15mins. It just how matches work lol. Everyone can't shoot at the same time lol. Now at the NRA matches they would have posted times for your shoot and everyone had to register the day before. But everyone had to show up for the safety meeting in the morning for roll call or you didn't shoot. This was also the time where you saw your time to shoot. Sometimes I would show up for the safety meeting at 6am and find out my range time was at 5pm.

Maybe you can setup a gmail for people to register. Make it so everyone has to register by 6pm the night before. Setup a spread sheet and list the shooters.

Make everyone show up for a safety meeting and roll-call at 9am (say 830 and wait till 9am lol) Do a 10min safety meeting and 15min roll-call.

9:30am have the first group ready and post shooting times for the rest of the people.

I liked the idea of two shooters at a station for reload time. I would try two shooters at each station as one group. so 8 shooter at a time and do pistol and rifle at the same time. rotating them thru all stations. figured a run was about about 30sec @ 10 rounds(pistol and rifle) 5mins with jams add about 10mins for reloads and moving of guns and station. So figure 15mins at each station so a full group of 8 will take 60mins. 10am to 5pm is 7 rounds with 8 people. that would be 56 people in a day at one range.

to keep this time I wouldn't worry about painting the steel every round just at station changes when the guns are moving. The only people at the station should be the RSO, time keeper, reloader/painter and the shooter.

Folks, for much of the day there were two shooters at each station, one pistol, one rifle, then switch.
Worked hard to be as efficient as possible with an eye out to newbies.

The next morning was a 3-gun match. For the complainers, move up to the pro shoots.
DRRC ranges
DRRC Main Web Calendar
Feb
01 - USPSA (Silh/TSB/Dynamic Range ) 9a-4p
02 - Handgun Silhouette (Silh) 9a-3p
08 - Black Powder Muzzle Loader ( Silh/Tsb) 9a-2p
15 - Appleseed Known Distance ( Dynamic Range ) 9a-5p
Mid range marksmanship training.
Saturday we will be learning marksmanship fundamentals.
Sunday we will venture out to further distances. this will be center fire rifles only.
16 - Appleseed Known Distance (600yd ) 9a-5p
23 - 3 Gun (Silh/TSB/ Dynamic Range) 9a-5p

open to the public??
Folks, for much of the day there were two shooters at each station, one pistol, one rifle, then switch.
Worked hard to be as efficient as possible with an eye out to newbies.

The next morning was a 3-gun match. For the complainers, move up to the pro shoots.
DRRC ranges
DRRC Main Web Calendar
Feb
01 - USPSA (Silh/TSB/Dynamic Range ) 9a-4p
02 - Handgun Silhouette (Silh) 9a-3p
08 - Black Powder Muzzle Loader ( Silh/Tsb) 9a-2p
15 - Appleseed Known Distance ( Dynamic Range ) 9a-5p
Mid range marksmanship training.
Saturday we will be learning marksmanship fundamentals.
Sunday we will venture out to further distances. this will be center fire rifles only.
16 - Appleseed Known Distance (600yd ) 9a-5p
23 - 3 Gun (Silh/TSB/ Dynamic Range) 9a-5p

All DRRC match events are open to the public, but you must contact the match director first to get the gate code as it is closed most of the time.

first timers are allways welcome!!! You can't learn to swim if you don't jump in the pool!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top