JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,
I'm thinking about getting a .22 rifle this week at the new Cabela's in Marysville. I know they are marked up, but I'm really hoping to get one in the next 10 days. Before I do I was hoping to see if anyone had something used that they would let go of for the right price.

My first thought was a Henry lever action because I feel they have a good rep and the idea that you have to work an action seemed like a benefit if I'm taking a youth out for the first time (don't want a youth rifle as this is mostly for me). But I am not opposed to a Ruger 10/22 semi (or other brand semis). I like the more traditional look over the tactical styles they have for 22's now. Other then that, anything that's reliable and fun to plink with will fit the bill.

PM me if you've got something you want to discuss

Justin

As much as I dislike going there, I just picked up a Mossberg 702 "Plinkster" at Wal Mart for $115 AFTER tax. Bought it for my wife to practice with and for new shooters, functions flawlessly so far, surprisingly good sights and spare mags are under $20 locally and under $15 online.

Nice, thanks for the tip! There is a walmart in Everett, but I'm not sure they have any guns there. As far as that Mossberg goes can you tell me a little about it? are there any safeties? once the first round is manually chambered and fired all follow up shots are semi-auto leaving the bolt open on the last round? What round count mags are available (anything higher then what it comes with)?

I liked the idea of having the lever action because with a child there is a definite required motion to make the weapon hot (not unlike bolt action, but lever's seem more fun to me). But the more i think about it, nothing substitutes patient instruction and supervision, so a semi doesn't seem like a bad choice.

It has a push button safety at the front of the trigger guard and has a last shot hold open. The mags are only 10 rounds but 25 round mags are starting to become available. As far as practice for a child or new shooter, I always take 2-3 mags and load only one or two rounds for a while. That way they get used to the manual of operation for the gun by going through the safety, load, safety off, fire, safety on, unload routine as much as possible.

Oh and I think Big 5 carries this model too, that's where I got my extra magazines and you can check Mossbergs website for dealers in your area too.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.