JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What are the most common semi-auto .22 LR pistols used for the faster type of competition shooting such as for speed steel, etc?

Looking to possibly delve into this arena but would like to do some research first.

Thanks in advance!

Ruger Mark series in all of its variants is probably the most common with the Browning Buckmark being 2nd. That said, there are so many offerings the sky is the limit. Find what you like and run it. Taurus TX22 is getting great reviews. Glock 44 is a picky eater but if you carry Glock it's a great training aid.

On speed steel, is capacity a thing? Are there reloads on the clock, or is everything 10 rounds? All the legacy 22 pistols are 10rd guns.
Capacity can kill times. You can shoot as long as you want to finish the string, which includes as many magazines you need to do so, but you'll want to not miss if possible. Only 10 rounds in a magazine and 6 plates to shoot doesn't leave a lot of room to suck. Harder stages where distance is involved can really hurt pistol shooters, especially those with only 10 rounds to work with.

What are the most common semi-auto .22 LR pistols used for the faster type of competition shooting such as for speed steel, etc?

Looking to possibly delve into this arena but would like to do some research first.

Thanks in advance!
The three most common are going to be Ruger MK series, the Browning Buckmark and the S&W 41. All three share the same three qualities ,
A grip big enough to get a full two handed grip.
Sights that are adjustable and large enough to be easily seen quickly.
And an extended sight radius.
All three also enjoy a good aftermarket for parts.

In my family we have the MK1 and a Buckmark. Both are good choices! DR

Capacity is nice, but there are other things I find more important. Such as reliability, ergo's, and aftermarket support.

My choice is a Ruger MKIV 22/45. I also had good luck with the S&W Victory.

You can spend some money customizing 22 pistols.:oops: Number one for me is a dot sight. The Ruger
has a Fastfire 3 and the Smith and Wesson is a Fastfire 2. Also both have aftermarket internals and
grips The Ruger has a Volquartsen accurizing kit. The Smith and Wesson Victory has Tandemkross
trigger, hammer and comp. I prefer the Victory better trigger and grip angle for me.
40 rounds rapid fire @ 21 feet out of each pistol
rWFUY1emTGVZqHC5ceIBqtff6A=w834-h625-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last Edited:
On speed steel, is capacity a thing? Are there reloads on the clock, or is everything 10 rounds? All the legacy 22 pistols are 10rd guns.
You are limited to 11 rounds per string, so capacity really isn't an issue. A few people use Barney mags to get to the 11 round capacity, but most people don't bother. The last match I shot (Kimber's DRRC steel challenge) had a 30 second penalty if you shot more than 11 rounds. No reloading on the clock, so 10 round magazines are just fine.

The 22/45 light is probably what I see most of at matches. Buckmarks are popular and I'm starting to see more Victories. I am currently using a Mark III hunter but prefer a Buckmark and will eventually go back to it. The Victories are really nice too and I'm seeing more of them. Try them all and see which seems to feel best to you. You can't go wrong with any of them. Also check and see what aftermarket parts you are interested in and see if the gun you like can get them. Invest in a decent red dot, very few people seem to shoot iron sights any more.

You are limited to 11 rounds per string, so capacity really isn't an issue. A few people use Barney mags to get to the 11 round capacity, but most people don't bother. The last match I shot (Kimber's DRRC steel challenge) had a 30 second penalty if you shot more than 11 rounds. No reloading on the clock, so 10 round magazines are just fine.
Good point. Some competitions do limit the amount of rounds you may use. I've shot TCGC so long I've forgotten this!

How does TCGC run their match?
Use as much ammo as you want. Limit 30 seconds per string. TCGC is not sanctioned.

If you need to reload to the third magazine, chances are you are already over 30 seconds.

That's what I thought might be the case. The world of 22 pistols has been a 10-round world for decades! I wonder if a bunch of folks think it is too gamer to barney mag to 11, being embarrassed to do something so few do.

In USPSA, barney mags are SUPER common.

@DizzyJ not to thread drift too much, but if your not dead set on .22 pistols, 10/22's and 15-22's rifles are solid choices as well. Both are used by the folks in my squad (speed steel). I run the 15-22 as I like the 25rd mags and and that it's an AR based platform.

My recommendation would be to come out (if you haven't already) to a match at TCGC or ARPC with whatever you got (just about everyone has something suitable sitting in their safe). Once there, you can get a better idea of the platform/caliber you may want to invest in. Between the members here on the forum that shoot at those two matches, we just about got all the popular firearms covered. With a little advanced planning, you could do some "test driving" of said firearms after the match concludes.

Edited to add:
The weather is going to start to suck, so plan/dress accordingly.

@DizzyJ not to thread drift too much, but if your not dead set on .22 pistols, 10/22's and 15-22's rifles are solid choices as well. Both are used by the folks in my squad (speed steel). I run the 15-22 as I like the 25rd mags and and that it's an AR based platform.

My recommendation would be to come out (if you haven't already) to a match at TCGC or ARPC with whatever you got (just about everyone has something suitable sitting in their safe). Once there, you can get a better idea of the platform/caliber you may want to invest in. Between the members here on the forum that shoot at those two matches, we just about got all the popular firearms covered. With a little advanced planning, you could do some "test driving" of said firearms after the match concludes.

Edited to add:
The weather is going to start to suck, so plan/dress accordingly.
I attended the one at DRRC Saturday. Part of the reason I'm looking at moving forward with more of a competition .22lr pistol. They have pistol and rifle stages. The one I shot was pistol only. Plus I think it's good training.

Last Edited:
Going to list some I've found online. Feel free critique and send me links to ones you'd recommend too. Thanks!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads