JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you ever have a chance shoot a Remington 541.
I have owned a 541 S Custom. This is the sporter version of the Remington 541 HB
On a calm day, mine shot inside of an inch at 100 Yards all day with standard over the counter ammo. Target velocity ammo was much more accuracy but came at a higher price.
I have owned a number of quality .22 cal. rifles in my life time. This was my favorite as it duplicated my most used hunting rifles, that were also mostly Remington 700 BDL series.
I believe practicing with a .22 bolt action will improve anyone's accuracy but doing so with one that matches your larger bores most closely helps even more.
Remington 541-S Custom Sporter .22LR at 157 yards - YouTube
Glad you asked
Silver Hand

Oh it was scoped - 3-9 Burris

On a budget, find a used Marlin. I have a tube fed Marlin 81DL (from the late 40's) and you'll have a hard time finding a more accurate rifle.

Not as tight of a budget? Ruger 77/22.

Inside (literally) info on the Ruger 7722: Mine actually is "short-throated". Chamber a CCI Mini Mag, eject without firing, and you'll see rifling marks in the leading edge of the gas ring on the bullet. I am certain this is a major contributor to its accuracy. Until this gun, I'd only seen this out of Anschutz rifles.

My vote is Winchester 69A or 75.

For accuracy and power, I agree that a longer barrel gives an advantage and the above mentioned Winchesters deliver just that. Vintage American .22's are often overlooked because they can't easily put on optics. I've enjoyed my Higgins 101.23 (Savage 4c, Stevens 84c) five-shot magazine fed bolt action with a long 24" barrel and personally feel open sights are a fine challenge for 100 yard targets and a throwback to a bygone era (which I didn't grow up in).

Now if you are wanting to target practice at 200 yards on a regular basis and calculating bullet drop for fun, you probably need scopes.

Aside from that, or an overly heavy wallet that you just looking to lighten, I'd consider looking at the old american irons for fun. All my bolt-action .22 rifles I picked up perfectly functional for around $150~$250.

If you are looking for open sights and the option of scoping it then look at the CZ 452 ultra Lux 28inch barrel great open sights yet you can still scope it.

<broken link removed>

If you are looking for open sights and the option of scoping it then look at the CZ 452 ultra Lux 28inch barrel great open sights yet you can still scope it.

<broken link removed>

Indeed, yet another beautiful .22 bolt-action that will set you back $500~$700. Fine hardware with a 28" barrel, no doubt!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews