Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.22 LR Removeable Magazine Fed Bolt Action Rifle Rcommendations

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Morpheus, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Greetings,

I'm looking for opinions on people's preferred choices on .22 LR Removable magazine fed bolt action Rifles? Normally I shoot a bit larger calibers, but I've been pondering a nice bolt action .22 LR to reduce cost of my practice sessions.

Any recommendations? Or any suggestions on which brand/models to avoid?

I was looking at maybe a Marlin XT-22 or something similar. But maybe there are others out there which are better?

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Savage MKII more versions then you can shake a stick at.

My favorite is the MKII FVT with Williams Target Peep sights. If you want a scoped model look for a FV

d2the3 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

I have a Browning A-Bolt .22LR They haven't been made since 1996, but it's worth seeking one out. Mine is silky smooth, has a great trigger, and somehow makes me shoot much better than I really am. I have more than once had to move the cross hairs after a shot to see the bullet hole in my target.

Here is a little write-up I found: Browning A-Bolt Rimfire Rifle.

Turns out that the one I bought used in the late '80's is a Medallion, and I got one heck of a sweet deal paying about 1/4 of retail!

4. clambo

clambo Vancouver, Wa. Well-Known Member

My vote is Winchester 69A or 75.

5. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I have a Ruger 77 that I really like. I have heard great things about the Savage and CZ and would give them a hard look if I was in the market for one again.

6. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

My vote, Remington Model 581. Not sure when they quit making them but 5 round detachable mag and mine is very accurate. Of course I got it almost 50 years ago from my dad, new, on my 10th birthday.

Brutus Out

7. Dapapadon

Dapapadon Gladstone, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've got a Marlin XT-22 and no complaints here. I bought it planning to put a nice scope on it. But after taking it out a couple of times decided to leave it as is with iron sights. So I'm still somewhat looking for another .22lr to scope.

Bimart carrys extra magazine for about $12. I think I've got 4 total now. Larger magazines are something I'll look for on another gun. Rugers bolt gun will take the BX-25 mags and I have a couple of those for the 10/22. But the gun is $500+ if I remember right. When I was looking a few months ago I was leaning towards the CZs. Really want somnething with a nice walnut stock. But to be honest, it's hard to beat a Savage in affordable .22lr bolt guns right now.

8. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

I'm with Nwcid on the Ruger 7722. I bought mine just after they came out, because I was shooting Rimfire Silouette (early days of the sport) with my 10-22 Sporter, and guys were starting to show up with Kimber bolt guns (couldn't afford one of those). I held my own with the 7722 until the sport became an equipment race, and I bailed.

Accurate, rugged, reliable, and VERY good looking! My second choice for a reasonably priced bolt sporter would be anything in the good Remington 514/580 etc. series. The Browning T-bolt holds a hard rep for accuracy. In the same boat is anything Anschutz (if you have the resources).

orygun and (deleted member) like this.
  9. micdude

micdude EDMONDS Member

I going say for price get a Marlin xt-22 or Savage MII fs-sv booth rifles are about the same it just comes down to preferences.

If price is not so much a problem then get a CZ you just can't beat the acurcey and fit and finish for the price.

10. d2the3

d2the3 Eugene, Oregon Well-Known Member

+1 for the Savage MK II series, I love mine!

11. Morpheus

Thank you for all of these suggestions. Looks like I have some decisions to make. :)

12. Whaler

Whaler Sequim, WA Well-Known Member

206thsense and (deleted member) like this.
  13. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast Close to Oregon City Active Member

MK II TR with accutrigger, CZ 453 or 452 varmint

14. Morpheus

Still looking for these.

I found a Savage Mark II TR at both Sportmans's Warehouse and Keiths. Very nice and smooth action.

I haven't been able to find a CZ to handle yet. Anyone know of a dealer who stock of these in the Portland area? Especially the 455 line.

I also handled the Ruger, though the Savage felt better.

15. Grommit327

Grommit327 Buckley Active Member

Bought a Remington model 5 for my dad for fathers day. They are a nice mag fed bolt action. In looking I liked the CZ's and if money had been no object the 77/22 would have been #1. Not wild on newer Marlins for sure

16. Morpheus

I agree, I tried several of the Marlins and they really didn't feel that well built.

17. madmax

madmax woodburn Active Member

you can beat them

18. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast Close to Oregon City Active Member

I don't think I've ever seen the CZ stocked anywhere, and every time I ask about them I'm told they are backlogged and can't keep up with the demand. NW Armory may be able to get you one from their warehouse if they have it online on their website.

19. micdude

micdude EDMONDS Member

If your trying to find a CZ you might check Buds online but locally I know where you can get a 455 fs in Seattle if you pm me.

20. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

I picked up my CZ 455 Lux from Keith's, but it's a 22 Mag. Trigger is a nice but a touch rough and it's still a good shooter.

elsie