JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Are they worth it? I have an 11.5" SBR, I'd like to be able to shoot .22 with it but don't really have the money right now for a dedicated upper with it's own sight.

Is the $200 conversion worth it, or should I wait a few more months until I have enough for a complete upper?

Greg

I had the CMMG kit and it's a fun to shoot. It's not all that accurate because it's not a dedicated upper but i was mainly shooting it for fun. The kit worked really well and i got the 50 round drum mag too. The dedicated upper is the right way to go if you're planning on shooting the .22lr accurately in the long run. If you're only shooting once or twice a month then stick with the conversion kit and they can be had for about $100-150. best of luck!

I'd say the conversion is worth it compared to what a complete .22lr upper and optic would cost. You may need to get a rounded profile hammer to go with it as sometimes the bolt will catch on the notched hammers, but a hammer is only about $10-$15.

I know a lot of people that have the conversion kits and are very happy with them.

For me I chose to go with the dedicated upper. It is a bit more accurate and I shoot mine quite a bit.

Dedicated upper if you want something that shoots as well or better than your average 10/22, Marlin 60, etc.

Conversion kit (with chamber insert) if you are plinking at tin cans and don't mind 6" groups at 50 yards.

Shooting 22s in your 223 barrel won't damage it, but you will want to keep an eye on crud build up, especially in and around the gas ports.

Paid $310 for my CMMG dedicated upper. It's really accurate and mostly dependable. I say that because I shoot Speed steel and a misfire or case jam will ruin a string. I have seen folks using AR 22 platforms and have seen folks quickly reaching for the charging handle to clear a round. If their kept spotlessly clean they will function well.

If your just looking to shoot the kits are OK, Dedicated uppers are better, Platforms designed for 22 like 10/22 or Sig522 are best.

If you want the ar platform, then go with the CMMG dedicated 22lr complete upper with a bushnell trs-25 red dot. The red dots are on sale for $79 I think starting on the 16th at Cabelas. But, if you want a better tacticool setup, in my opinion, get a 10/22 and drop it in an archangel or troy T-22 chassis. You will not be disappointed either way.

These are my Speed Steel Carbines. If I can figure how to get the AR dependable, I will try it.

DSCN0040.jpg

I recently bought the Colt M4 dedicated 22LR and so far have to say it's a pretty good shooting gun.
Bought it just to save money of .556 ammo and still shoot an AR at the range.

Only paid $450 for it at Big5 with a coupon so it was less for a complete gun than quality upper.
I did have to buy a couple 30 rounds mags for $22 each and replaced the factory furniture with real mil spec stuff so felt right.
Stock forearm is rather fat and doesn't have a rail.

So far 3,000 rounds down the pipe and no problems at all. Swab the barrel every 1,000 and few drops of oil on the bolt, eats every brand I've put through it.
Need to buy a scope to see how it stacks up to my bull barrel 10/22 but iron sights are holding pretty tight groups.

Save money and get an actual .22lr upper.

Shooting .22lr out of barrel made for .223/5.45 can damage the barrel profile. (heavy fouling)

I have a Spikes dedicated upper. It had some feeding issues at first. After polishing the feed ramp and chamber it functions much better.......so long as I use Federal or CCI copper plated bullets. Seeing as how I mainly shoot Federal bulk, it hasn't been an issue to me. Provided I used copper plated bullets it is just as reliable as any 10/22 I have owned.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews