JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I purchased my stripped lower at a local shop, the guy behind the counter asked me if I wanted it to be a rifle or a pistol. He said it has to be registered as one or the other, then was effectively a rifle or pistol from then on. As I was 22 at the time age never came into the conversation.

Go to your local gun shop and ask them, they should know, then have them order you one if they can sell it to you.

How long ago was this? It is NO longer the case. I believe the change was in '08 or '09.

Right on the 4473 and cant be any clearer, http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Question 18. T)'pe of Fireal'm(s): Check all boxes that apply. "Other" refers to frames, receivers and other firearms that arc not either handguns or long guns (rifles or shotguns), such as fireanns having a pistol grip that expel a shOlgun shell, or National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms.

If a frame or receiver can only be made into a long gun (rifle or shotgun), it is still a frame or receiver not a handgun or long gun. However, they still arc "firearms" by definition. and subject to the same GCA limitations as any other firearms. See Section 92 I(a)(3)(b). 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b)(1) makes it unlawful for a licensee to sell any firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to any person undcr the age of 21. Since a frame or receiver for a firearm. to include one rhat can only be made into a long gun, is a "firearm other than a shotgun or riflc." it cannot be transferred to anyone under the age of 21, Also, note that multiple sales forms arc not required for frames or receivers of any firearms, or pistol grip shotguns, since they are not "pistols or revolvers"
under Section 923(g)(3)(a).

How long ago was this?

As a store owner i can tell you that it cannot be transferred to someone under 21. I can put it down on the form as a rifle and the OSP / ATF will not know the difference, but then i would be lying on the form and could lose my license. Which is not worth it just to sell a lower that i can probably only making $20 - $30 on. All lowers transfer as an Other, unless it has an upper on it. then it is either a rifle or pistol. No upper = Other and an Other must be 21 to buy.

It was about 2 years ago. Like I said I was 22 when I bought it so I didn't run into the 21 issue. To be honest, I don't really trust the shop I bought the lower from anyways, they try charging $1,500 for Saiga-12s with a drum and muzzle brake, $600 rifle + $200-300 in parts doesn't add up...

How exactly is the OP going to get a receiver that he was planning on ordering without going though an FFL? Yes it is 100% legal for a person under 21 to own a pistol in WA but Federal law will not allow an FFL to transfer any firearm other then long gun to a person between 18 and 21.

Of course you dont have to pay sales tax on FTF but you are legally required to pay a "use tax" on it. Not that anyone does, see the other currently running thread on this topic.

Well if the store owner classes the lower receiver as a rifle he could get it. Ask around!

Also I highly recommend face to face sales!

Well if the store owner classes the lower receiver as a rifle he could get it. Ask around!

Also I highly recommend face to face sales!

If the store owner isn't an 07 FFL (manufacturer) he can't make a receiver into a rifle just by checking the appropriate box. You also can't buy stripped lowers out of your home state for the same reasons mentioned previously. The only way for the OP to legally obtain a stripped lower is for a private individual to sell him one they already own. The only other option he has for using his parts is to take everything to an 07 FFL and have his parts built onto a lower that is sold back to him as a rifle.

this topic is very interesting 2 people who know what they're talking about and the rest relaying crap they have heard.................I have done business with Oregon brass I think the shop's name is rapid fire arms in Sandy now and I can't recommend anybody higher they will get this done for you

When I purchased my stripped lower at a local shop, the guy behind the counter asked me if I wanted it to be a rifle or a pistol. He said it has to be registered as one or the other, then was effectively a rifle or pistol from then on. As I was 22 at the time age never came into the conversation.

Go to your local gun shop and ask them, they should know, then have them order you one if they can sell it to you.

Exactly the same as what I went through when I bought my first AR-lower a while back. I was asked "pistol or rifle", as the shop needed to know that for paperwork reasons.

Exactly the same as what I went through when I bought my first AR-lower a while back. I was asked "pistol or rifle", as the shop needed to know that for paperwork reasons.

The facts of this being FALSE information on CURRENT law, not past law has been posted. See post #21 for the current link to the ATF that is very specific about how it works on the current 4473.

Yes in the PAST this was true. It is NOT correct anymore.............

The facts of this being FALSE information on CURRENT law, not past law has been posted. See post #21 for the current link to the ATF that is very specific about how it works on the current 4473.

Yes in the PAST this was true. It is NOT correct anymore.............

I wasn't disputing it, see my post above (#29). Chill out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top