2018 Shooting Area Fire Closures

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by DirectDrive, Jul 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

State of Oregon: Recreation - Target Shooting
    Forest Operation Areas Status Comments
    Beaver Dam/Browns Camp Rock Pit

OPEN

Please note - the pit may be closed at any time by forestry staff or industrial operators for gravel loading and hauling.

CLOSURE NOTICE for Saturday, August 25, 2018 from 6:00 AM - 5:00 PM. The Beaver Dam Rock Pit will be closed to all public use for a volunteer site clean-up hosted by our partners at Trash No Land.

N. Fork Wolf Creek Shooting Lanes
    PERIODIC

CLOSURES

STARTING 06.16.2018

Beginning Saturday, June 16, 2018 the shooting lanes on N. Fork Wolf Creek will be closed periodically to all public use.

These closures will be in effect so that staff and volunteers can do planning and assessment work needed for upgrades to the shooting lanes.

Thursday, September 6, 2018. Lanes #3 and #4 will be CLOSED so that staff and volunteers can do planning and design work for an upgrade project.

Rock Creek Ridge Pit CLOSED
    The Rock Creek Ridge Pit is CLOSED to all Public Use, seven days a week until further notice.

This closure is to ensure the safety of people working on timber sales and road building in the woods in close proximity to the rock pit.

2. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

3. that guy

that guy
    PDX
    Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

4. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Thanks for keeping us posted. I need to get out and work up some good loads for a couple new rifles.

Cogs likes this.
  5. N Monty

N Monty
    Multnomah County

Yesterday evening, it was dumping rain and I told my friend,
    "We can't shoot at my favorite spot this weekend. Fire season."

Do you think the rain we've gotten in the last 24 hours will get the Forest Service to rescind their shooting ban in time for the weekend?

I presume the first place I'll see news about it is on the Forest Service website.

Cogs likes this.
  6. Cogs

Cogs
    Washougal, WA.
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

Would be nice, but... You know how government works, slow. I'm sure they'll need to do in-depth studies and detailed reports. Then more questions will come up that need more analysis of the situation. Oh, they'll have to meet again in a month or two to review the findings....

I think they owe us something... They closed down fishing in the Columbia and tributaries so the should give us back our shooting fun! :D

Caveman Jim and bsa1917hunter like this.
  7. N Monty

N Monty
    Multnomah County

That's pretty much what I figured.

I suspect it's too much to hope the USFS will lift their ban a week early because of the rain. I'm sure there's some petty bureaucrat who gets pleasure in plugging up recreational shooting when the gruund is wet. (The way some shooters leave trash behind, their spite is justified, but I digress.)

My favorite shooting spot is out in the Clackamas River Ranger District, and it's been closed 2 years in a row due to fire season... And then winter rolls around and it's too icy/snowy to reach with 2WD.

Cogs likes this.
  8. N Monty

N Monty
    Multnomah County

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  9. Cogs

Cogs
    Washougal, WA.
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

Geez, for another month!

10. Travispitt

Travispitt
    Estacada

Fire danger is still very high on the east side of the mountain.
    At least we can shoot on the west side

Cogs likes this.
  11. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    Fish killer....
    Kokanee Slayer Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

You got that right brother, the noive of them closing our fishing season so they can get their fish!!!!:mad:

Cogs likes this.
  12. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

What about WA?

13. Cogs

Cogs
    Washougal, WA.

I see it everyday, no fish in the Washougal Rv. I stand in the backyard every morning from 4:30 to 6 and watch for wave coming out of the rapids. Nothing! They always start moving up by Aug 20th, but nothing so far.

Can I get a refund on my fish in license? Right:(

14. Cogs

Cogs
    Washougal, WA.

No word yet. I'm sure they will post a notice on Friday, but I suspect it will be a reminder that it's still closed.

15. Cogs

Cogs
    Washougal, WA.

16. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

I just got some great news regarding the shooting ban in WA. A member from my club (Cascade Sportsman's Club), just sent me this:
    Commissioner Franz Lifts Target Shooting Ban on State-Managed Lands | WA - DNR

Looks like we are good to go this Saturday. This is good for our area near Cascade Locks and Stevenson. Be sure to check the map and restrictions for other parts of the state.

I'm going to go and load up some 6.5 creed!!! :p

Cogs likes this.
  17. Cogs

Cogs
    Washougal, WA.

Wonders never cease! Nice! Almost all back to normal by this Sat! (Almost because we still haven't heard from WDFW about their closure on WDFW managed lands. I'm sure they'll follow soon.)

bsa1917hunter likes this.