JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I can't find anything easily anywhere on shooting area fire closures.
There is one thread here that is Mt. Hood Forest specific. (closed to shooting)
Maybe we can post only closure and re-opening information in this thread ?

And lets not create any more threads and clutter things up.
Lets keep it here so it's all in one place.
Next year someone else can start the 2019 Fire Closure thread.

Last Edited:
I can't find anything easily anywhere on shooting area fire closures !
(no Twitter or Facebook please)
There is one thread here that is Mt. Hood Forest specific. (closed to shooting)
Maybe we can post only closure and re-opening information in this thread ?
No other notices have come across my wi-fi waves yet. I always post them when I get them (here, FB, Twitter & Instagram). So far, it's only USFS on the Mt Hood Nat Forest.

So, you can still shoot on state & private lands. For now.

I know DirectDrive has the appropriate fire prevention gear, the knowledge and the common sense needed to be shooting in the fire season and on real hot days, but for others who may not be aware of the difference, here's some things you need to consider:
  • Shoot early and not after 1 pm.
  • Choose a place without dry grass or brush. (Gravel pit offers good protection against fire starts but don't shoot into or use rocks as a backstop. Most gravel pits have some good backstops of real small/fine gravel or dirt. Ricochet is common even off loose gravel.) Dirt backstops are always best!
  • Fire Prevention Gear is required. Min gear, FOR ALL VEHICLES TRAVELING IN THE FORESTS, is at least 1 gallon of water, (or a 2.5 lb fire extinguisher), and a shovel. The shovel needs to be at least 26" long with an 8" blade. More water, a bigger extinguisher and a hatchet or axe is always better.
  • No targets on trees, stumps or logs!!! They will burn inside and you may not see the smoke.
Other info and details about shooting in the fire season can be found on our Trash No Land website, Start No Fires .

The shooter is the first responder and is the best person to stop a fire in it's tracks. Be safe out there!

Last Edited:
Posted by ODF on their website:
  • No tracer ammunition
  • No explosive targets
There are other conditions posted under the Industrial Fire Protection Level III protocol as well which are good to be aware of.

50,000 acres burned near Hailey Idaho (The Sharp Fire) caused by shooter and exploding targets......still not contained. Most of the state has sever restrictions on everything from shooting to campfires even smoking. Shooter confesses.

Bill, does that shut down the Larch Mountain area ?
I don't see anything other than burn restrictions for that area.
No it doesn't effect DNR land in the Yacolt Burn State Forest or on the Larch recreational area. Only on WDFW managed lands. Larch is DNR State and there are no WDFW land on there that I know of.

I believe, but have not confirmed, that WA State cannot close shooting. I know Oregon State lands cannot close down shooting without a change in Law, so, I suspect WA is the same.

Still, we are all getting the hint that shooting in these hot/dry conditions should be a personal restriction and, at least, not to shoot after 1 PM.

I've heard about a rule in the forest, for any operation of chain saws or other gas powered tools, that have a 1 hour watch after use of said tool(s). Knowing that, I think it's a good idea that we hang out for a while after shooting to see if any smoke rises up.

WA STATE DNR is closing down recreational shooting statewide starting tomorrow, 8-4-18!!!

I will post the official link when they release it today.

NO SHOOTING IN WASHINGTON STATE!!!

WA STATE DNR is closing down recreational shooting statewide starting tomorrow, 8-4-18!!!

I will post the official link when they release it today.

NO SHOOTING IN WASHINGTON STATE!!!

Really! :(

I just got off the phone with them and they said the WDFW ban didn't include Larch, you would think they would have said if it was going to start tomorrow!

The official word is out...

DNR Temporarily Bans Target Shooting on State-Managed Lands Statewide | WA - DNR

Special Notice: Temporary DNR Ban on Target Shooting on State-Managed Lands Statewide
In order to help prevent wildfires, the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is temporary banning all target shooting on 3 million acres of DNR-managed lands. This includes state forests, community forests, and forested state lands.

The temporary ban goes into effect this Saturday, Aug. 4, 2018...

Damnit. :mad: just got a new red dot ai wanted to try out, also built new target stands and a barricade.

Hopefully I can shoot with some new friends on their land.

We can still go out in the woods and enjoy the weekend... just take a few trash bags! You can still shoot a camera! Just say Pew Pew when you snap a shot!

I'm hoping to cleanup a couple sites up on The Burn this Sunday. Just like being out there even if I don't shoot. (I know, I'm sick!)

So, what do you do when there is a shooting closure on State Lands?

You grab a buddy and go clean up your favorite shooting spots!

Cleanup buddy.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads