JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

20MOA Rail

• Yes

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Well.... It depends on; (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
I plan to use this rifle to stretch the limits of what I can shoot. Sub $750 (all new) Sub $1200 rifle & scope combo to shoot 1000y. This also will be my go to rifle for anything close (I just want the ability to go far and play).

It only has a 20" barrel, 1:10 twist.... And it is a mere .308!! I have a 3x12-42 diamondback scope by Vortex Vortex Viper HST with VMR-1 reticle mounted on it with 30mm Leupold rings and one piece base.

As I stated I plan to stretch this gun to its limit and push the transonic line as far away from me as possible. I know there is a limit and I want to find that limit.

The Diamondback has a total of 100 MOA Viper has 75MOA of vertical adjustment and assuming I'm sitting somewhere between 40-60 right now on alignment I want to give myself the uttermost amount of elevation out of the scope before I max the turrets. This is a VPlex crosshair setup, I did not want mildots. I currently have 60MOA of vertical adjustment left on the scope. I have only done a bore sight at 130 yards. The Viper has 30 MOA at 890y on 16x on the reticle with another 32 on the turrets.

sub_vhs-t_s_4-16x44_vmr-1_moa-t.jpg

I plan to zero it at 200y and have adjustment for further.

Yes or no on a 20MOA rail?

If I'm close to this spec on my hand loads I should be good to my maximum MOA without bottoming out the elevation..

Is the extra 20MOA necessary? I don't see it much, what's your thoughts? I want to verify this before I do my zeroing in, I'd rather not remount again.
image.jpeg
JBM Calculator

sub_vhs-t_s_4-16x44_vmr-1_moa-t.jpg

Last Edited:
Once you start going far, you start going a little farther and then a little farther! I know I have done it!

Put the 20 on it!

I should add this is only a .308!!

.308 & .300AAC
image.jpeg

I don't plan to shoot past 200 yards with the other.

Last Edited:
Don't under estimate the .308. I can shoot allot further than 600 with my .308, you can to! It can realllly surprise you!

And the .300AAC, I can think of something a little better to make outta that action! Not that there is anything wrong with the round, but it is very limited. As im sure you know.

If you can find a bullet that will be stabile in the transonic zone ( @900-1000 yards) you will have beat a multi-million dollar study you helped pay for that recommended a 30 magnum to fill the gap between 762NATO and 338/50BMG
But what do I know?

If you want to get to 1000 with that short barrel 308 then you will NEED the 20 moa base with the current scope/reticle combination you have now.

If you can find a bullet that will be stabile in the transonic zone ( @900-1000 yards) you will have beat a multi-million dollar study you helped pay for that recommended a 30 magnum to fill the gap between 762NATO and 338/50BMG
But what do I know?

Heh, yeah... I have really bad shoulders so a 308 and as heavy as this one is will be the largest I can shoot sustained.

I also found this entertaining to read on velocities:
http://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/308...ato-barrel-length-versus-velocity-28-to-16-5/

And @jluck i will probably pickup the Vortex anti-Cant unit vs an integrated one into the rail.

Last Edited:
Thanks guys (again!).

image.jpeg

I went shooting today. I haven't counted the MOA left after this zero at 200. Factory ammo does ok out there. I'm thinking I will get a rail as soon as I can before zeroing in on hand loads. Sucks because this was in a vice too. Though the vplex reticle was almost .5" wide at that distance so that's probably part of the margin of error.

Will update when I have the remaining MOA adjustment on the flat rings.

Sucks though I'll now have an extra Leupold one piece base and rings for the gun.

@Velzey I did happen to shoot it 21 times. The Hogue stock has a really thick soft rubberized/foam pad and it took a LOT of the impact. It will get threaded still.

Last Edited:
Let me know when you want that thing threaded! I seem to be doing allot of that lately :)

Ok shoulder separations..

1) Snowboarding
2) Dirtbike
3) Tube behind boat
4) Rope swing
5) being tarzan in the hay loft and swung out on the hay lift, it popped out.I feel, and also broke 5 ribs on the truck below.
6) Surfing
7) Surfing
8) Elk hunting, 12" of snow. all I want to say
9) Big wave surfing Nelscott off the Oregon coast
10) Ditto
11) Ditto cept I've learned my lesson now...I'm not getting off the Wave runner anymore! Screw it! o_O

I use a 1:14 twist 24" 155g Palma and it is supersonic to 1021 yards Muzzle Velocity 2750fps so 100o should be no problem
Your Scope
Max Elevation Adjustment 90 MOA
Max Windage Adjustment 90 MOA

I do believe that with the scope you have chosen you will likely need the 20 minute rail for anything beyond 500 yards.

and:

I use a 1:14 twist 24" 155g Palma and it is supersonic to 1021 yards Muzzle Velocity 2750fps so 100o should be no problem
Your Scope
Max Elevation Adjustment 90 MOA
Max Windage Adjustment 90 MOA

So I ended up changing the scope yesterday.

Vortex Viper HST with the VMR-1 Reticle. There is 30MOA worth of BDC on the reticle alone.

Last Edited:
Update:
After zeroing the rifle in right now without the 20MOA rail... I was kind of waiting to see where the scope was going to sit with the current ring setup. If it was close, say 20moa remaining before bottoming out the scope I would surely have went with the rail.

BUT--->

I have exactly 41 MOA of adjustment in the scope remaining.

Three full turns of 12, and 5 more on the next partial. So without the rail, I would still have 71 MOA. Theory says right now I could still hit it with a 5 MOA on the scope and using the BDC reticle to adjust the remaining.

I haven't dropped the idea, I'm going to see how this rolls shortly when I start stretching the legs. When this damn windy weather goes away.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top