JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All your questions can be answered here..
Concealed Handgun Licensing - Lane County
click on
What do I need to do to apply for a CHL?

• Application forms are available online or from our office, located at the Lane County Courthouse, Room 140. Complete the application online and print it out OR print the application and complete it by hand. We do not accept online applications. You must bring the application, in person, to our office. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

• Original or Certified Copy of Birth Certificate (not hospital footprints) or US Passport.

• Bring two pieces of current identification - one must have a photo (e.g. Driver's License). The second piece of ID must be current with an expiration date, but does not have to be a photo ID.

• Proof of handgun competency. <-----

• Completed Reference Sheet.

• Pay the $65 fee. We accept payment in the form of cash, check, credit or debit card. We do not accept American Express. Make checks payable to LCSO.

• Book an appointment

says it's 6 months wait to get an appointment, that sux way worse than the taking a class part.
the range here gives a class for way less money than the commercial operator that comes here, I"ll go with the range, and it includes range time .

As been stated on other posts, if you have experience with firearms, one option is an online course taught by a registered instructor that can certify you at very minimal cost (less than $20 6 months ago). 2 members of my family used this and had no problems getting a CHL in Multnomah Co. Not a substitute for FTF instruction if you have no previous exposure, but a real cost saver. Same instructor also has FTF classes.

Yeah you need to take a class. It's a waste of time and money.
But it has to be done

I disagree. When I took my class there were people in it that just out of the blue went and bought a gun and now wanted to carry concealed. THOSE folks, most likely, only education about guns is probably from television. I heard their questions! I was a relative noob to firearms too, but I've always had good common sense, but I still heard a few things at the class the increased my firearm "Smarts" for lack of a better word. I wouldn't think @Throckmorton would really need a class. I happen to know he's got a round or two down range!:D But you never know, some things may be discussed in the class that will help a person. Can't hurt.

Now the cost of the class wasn't bad. $65.00 seems a little stiff for the permit, but $50.0 to re-up sucks! Utah re-up is only $15.00!

If you might travel around the PNW, you might consider getting a Utah CHL as well.

Took a dual class, OR & Utah, and it was handy in that the Utah paperwork supposedly could be easy to mess up. They had overhead slides on correct way to fill it in & such, took care of full fingerprinting & mailing it in.

Some friendly advice: You can make the appointment now and then go take the class, making the appointment doesn't require completion and might save you a couple days waiting by signing up now at the Sheriffs.

Another thing you can do is call the sheriffs office and ask if they have any cancellations for that week. I had an appointment in May, and got in before Christmas because someone cancelled and I got to take their place.

Multnomah County was about 6 weeks out (recently for me).
Now I'm waiting for my FBI check to go through and then the actual permit to arrive in the mail.
They said it would be another 4 weeks or so.

In Multnomah County it is a long process.

My experience thus far....

1) I did the Shaun Curtain CHL class for Utah/Oregon....$80
My primary goal was CHL for Oregon and Washington.
I had my Utah permit in hand in 3-4 weeks.

2) I already had my Washington CHL which only took about 10 days total.

3) Still waiting for my Oregon CHL to finish processing.

Moral of the story....
For WA and OR CHL I DID NOT NEED TO TAKE THE SHAUN CURTAIN CLASS.

What I should have done for OR and WA CHL....
1) Go to Clark County SO, pay the man and get my CHL in about 10 days.
NO CLASS REQUIRED.....(slam dunk if you are clean).

2) Apply for OR CHL
Take the online OR CHL class for $10
Do the appt., fingerprints etc, pay the fee and get the OR CHL

The Utah would be useful if I wanted to travel and CC but for my purposes I really don't need it
and could have saved the $80 I paid for the class.

Their website says
"Effective August 1, 2015, anyone applying for a CHL is required to make an appointment. As a courtesy, the Sheriff's Office provides walk-in service to new applicants on Wednesdays only, using a take-a-number system."

I would just do the walk in on a Wednesday and make sure I was the first person there.

Thats the way I did it in Polk county

Their website says
"Effective August 1, 2015, anyone applying for a CHL is required to make an appointment. As a courtesy, the Sheriff's Office provides walk-in service to new applicants on Wednesdays only, using a take-a-number system."

I would just do the walk in on a Wednesday and make sure I was the first person there.

Thats the way I did it in Polk county
That may work for Polk County, but it is not a state-wide thing...

From MCSO...."All new applicants are processed by appointment only."

That may work for Polk County, but it is not a state-wide thing...

From MCSO...."All new applicants are processed by appointment only."

The page I was quoting was from Lane county, I know it is not a state wide thing but the OP asked about Lane county so I was giving him the info for Lane County

I have heard that Multnomah county now refuses to issue CHL to any non-residents EXCEPT for those with a subjective "legitimate" reason... as an Armed Private Security officer I do and have never had any issues getting mine, BUT I do spend $1-200 every 2 years for recertification's from Oregon's DPST. Until Oregon's law is changed requiring counties to issue CHL on demand to lawful non-residents many lawful citizens in Vancouver will be deprived of their rights...unless Trump gets some kind of nationwide permit system which forces tyrants in non-issuing states to allow CC.
LOL

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads