JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I came across a video by Demolition Ranch where he mentions a $200 rifle suppressor by Black Aces Tactical - the "Pro Series 56 Po'Boy Suppressor". For $199 + the $200 tax stamp, you're into a suppressor for your AR for $400 - less than the cost of most suppressors without the stamp.

Anyone familiar with these? Matt only makes a brief mention of it in the following video, but I'm going to do a little more research on these guys when I have some time. Just thought I'd throw it out there for those that might be interested in getting into their first can but can't justify $600-$1,000 to do it.

They currently make 3 models - 5.56, 7.62x39 and .30 cal Full auto rated and user serviceable using just an AR wrench.

www.blackacestactical.com

First mention of the can @ 4:25
Second mention and shooting @ 11:08

I'm thinking you're gonna get what you pay for...

Waiting that long for a purchase to be approved and the tax stamp is a big investment to be even slightly disappointed when it all finally comes together...

I think one of the members here posted a suppressor comparison video and this "Po'Boy" was included. It did very poorly as compared to the other cans in the group. I think it was in the 150+ DB range as compared to most others in the mid to low 130+ DB range in the test.

I'm considering grabbing up their .30 model to cut my teeth in the NFA world (why the hell didn't I buy an $800 m11/9 or three back when I was 21...)
Apparently Tick Licker Firearms in Salem is a dealer for them, gonna pop in and look into it

Sounded pretty quiet! But I also think you get what you pay for to a certain point. At some point in time more companies will start making them and the prices will come down. I just think you will loose quality as well.

It depends on what your expectations are I think. For general suppressed plinking it will probably be fine. It may have some serious POI shift and could be less durable. It's also probably heavier than the titanium suppressors.

I have a cheap steel .223 suppressor that works fine for general .223 AR stuff. It's heavy but full-auto rated and can be broken down for cleaning which is nice.

There is little out there info wise on it.

One vid shows that it literally is nothing but washers and tubing spacers.

My experience with 30 cal rifle silencers is that they are all going to sound pretty close to the same and that the biggest factor determining how much attenuation there is is how much volume they have. I'm sure plenty of people that will argue that baffle design is more important but that hasnt been my experience. Ive built quite a few with somewhat advanced baffle design and some with plain old cones . Cones work just about as well . More the merrier as it were but really its the volume of the silencer that makes the biggest difference. You just want to hold that fireball in.

I see no reason why that silencer would work and work relatively well UNLESS its an aluminum construction can in which case it will burn up over time with full power .308 loads.

I certainly wouldnt go by the old adage that you get what you pay for. Every silencer in existence in the US has a 500% plus margin at the manufacturer level . Look at whats available overseas to get a better idea what silencers would cost if the NFA werent involved. High costs are the nature of our market in the US. That doesnt mean costing more is a sign that its a better silencer.

Ya, I don't think the baffles matter much as does the ability to hold volume and redirect it. I got to play with an AMTEC suppressor and was really amazed by the stupid simple baffle design. Yet it has a huge pressure baffle that went over the barrel. Pretty quiet.

I mentioned the design of the poboy because I feel like the manufacturer is trying to hide their design. Their is very little info on it, I think by design. But, for 200 I guess it really doesn't matter.

When I took the NFA paperwork into my buddy the Sheriff to sign, he said "why are you doing this? They are legal here in Idaho without any tax stamp or licence, just tape a 2 liter bottle on the muzzle and go from there" well......it is an issue like Marijuana in other states that I don't agree with either.......so, I got the stamp. My brother has done extensive research into them, has several including a very high end Canadian built one (3000.00?) for his 338 Lapua TRIG that is very impressive. I have Gemtec's that are quite good, sturdily built and if I ever have a problem, can walk into the factory. The guys are very helpful. Prices have come down, if that idiot Las Vegas shooter hadn't gone off the rails, they would have been taken out of NFA control by now. I did not buy the titanium versions because the heavier steel ones hold up much better and are simpler to repair.

I looked at a few other 'budget' cans online, including Rebel and Amtac. For those where money is tight, they might be good options. Honestly, as @wired mentioned above, I don't necessarily buy into the idea that a more expensive suppressor is better. The basic concept is really simple, just different ideas of how to carry it out. I would definitely do my research before buying a budget suppressor, preferably live fire with one, before I made a decision on one. Still, I like the idea of prices coming down a bit. $200 is already a hard pill to swallow for a lot of folks, if the prices on suppressors would come down a bit, more folks might be willing to take the plunge.

I never did understand why such a relatively simple device cost as much as decent firearm. I figured that beauracracy, snob-appeal, and supply/demand were contributors but never got too far into it because the whole endeavor was out of my financial league anyway. I had big hopes for the HPA getting passed and removing all three of those factors but it was not to be... yet.

At 200 bucks, the Po Boy kind of changes the game, for me at least. I can scratch together 200 for the stamp if I know I'm going to be able to use it, and that makes all the difference in the world.

BTW, when I say "snob appeal" I don't mean to imply that all who fire suppressed are somehow snobbish (some are), it's just an advertising term for appealing to exclusivity or rarity... "Be the first on your block to have one of these! Your friends will envy you!" type of thing.

There are a lot of things I need that cost around $200.
I can't imagine ever needing a suppressor.
But they are nice.........very popular in Europe where hunting fields are close to towns. I had an older neighbor, 1/4 mile away that used to call when we were shooting so I bought mine so as to not disturb her. By the way......unless you are shooting subsonic, they aren't anything like the movies. They still allow a fair amount of sound through, just not ear damaging noise. We still use protection on full 7.62 and 5.56 loads.

I'd be curious to know how it cleans up. Ammonia? Other solvents? Take-down? Re-assembly? I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that some baffles (assuming you are getting similar decibel reduction) are preferable because they are more sturdy and easier to clean than others.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top