Southwest Firearms Forum
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Defensive Arts
Sporting Systems
Low Price Guns
Oregon Rifleworks
J&B Firearm Sales
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

1967-date Anschutz Model 1409, revival project.

Reactions

Sorry you can't comment on the Youtube, but the immense confusion over what children can and can't see makes making comments, uh, confusing, to say the least. I guess the semantic gap is too great, but I really don't understand how to be compliant with the YT format.

Here's a few stills -
upload_2020-1-22_15-42-45.png

upload_2020-1-22_15-43-14.png
upload_2020-1-22_15-44-1.png

This doodad is a barrel harmoniser, and cost exactly ten times more than the rifle.

The old Tasco scope was one of two I bought from a fellow shooter in MT, now passed away. the other one is a x18, and it's on one of my two BSA Martini Intl MkII rifles. I'll post the video on that if anybody is interested..

OP
tac
Reactions
The original scope of this design came from John Unertl [look 'em u on Wiki - I wrote some of that a while back]. It was intended to be fitted to long range target scopes of ALL calibres in the late 30's, and because of that its weight and mass meant that it was going to get a good a$$-kicking when applied to a centre-fire rifle. So basically, the scope tube must be permitted to move at the moment of recoil, and to facilitate that the scope body has rails machined into it that slide in grooved mounts. I've indicated them below as best as I can with VVVVV.

The spring, which is pretty stout, ensures that it returns to battery in the same place each time. During WW2 the USMC adopted the x10 version of the scope as standard, but, like their successors in Vietnam, found that the spring caught up in the undergrowth. All that meant was that it had to be returned to battery
on each firing.

1580551889256.png

Here's a couple of views showing the Unertl x18 on one of my BSA rifles - you've seen it before, but I think it's v. pretty - no spring here, though. See the rail on top, right?

1580551975199.png

1580551157443.png

The Tasco T707 is scope is a somewhat cheaper version of the same thing - also made by Fecker, Bausch & Lomb, Redfield and a few others, including one over here in yUK.

They all found their home on the .22 comps target range in the so-called English Match, which consisted of a number of shots at 50 and 100 yards in which a scope was permitted. The Unertl scope on the BSA, according to DeWayne Greiner, THE Unertl maven, was made in 1952 and is called the 2" Varmint with calibrated head, as the front optic can be rotated against a scale of distance calibrations - they are pretty much spot-on, too.

1580551118530.png

Reactions
Good stuff, I've heard/read of Unertl but have no experience with them and I can't recall seeing that spring. Thank you for the lesson.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Wes Knodel Gun Show
Deschutes County Fair & Expo Center
3800 SE Airport Way, Redmond, OR 97756, USA
Wolf Creek Rd Public Shooting Lanes Cleanup!
North Fork Wolf Creek Rd public shooting lanes
N Fork Wolf Creek Rd, Oregon 97144, USA
ARPC Speed Steel
ARPC (Albany Rifle & Pistol Club)
29999 Saddle Butte Rd, Shedd, OR 97377, USA
NRA Pistol marksmanship Simulator Training
Defensive Arts Center
4620 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy C2, Portland, OR 97221, USA

LATEST REVIEWS

• Sunset Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    My wife went into to pickup a firearm she bought from a online retailer and shipped to sunset firearms. She had a great experience and had a...
    • NWArborist
  • Independence Indoor Shooting
    5.00 star(s)
    I've bought one firearm and many other random items at IIS. The gun was priced really well, and was the best price I could find the area. My...
    • TDH
  • Stockpile Defense, LLC
    5.00 star(s)
    I've bought a few lowers here, and many other AR parts. They have a really nice selection of guns and parts, not just AR. They are willing to...
    • TDH
  • Gun & Boot & Gear - Astoria
    5.00 star(s)
    Good bunch of guys! Always treated me well, and in some cases better then expected. Highly recommend swinging by and talking with Andrew about any...
    • jblake00
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Seen it from the highway a few times, so made the effort to go in yesterday lunchtime- What an awesome store ! Big, bight, well laid out, with a...
    • asiparks

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS