JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My son in law has a Winchester mod 12 (1912) in 12 ga. nickel steel barrel made in 1914 by the early serial #. (first offered in 1913)Well worn and sans finish. taken in trade for unpaid labor performed by him some time ago (it was this or nothing). My daughter asked if it was shootable so I offered to check it out. stiff from grunge yet seemingly functional and complete I dissembled the basic components:
1.Removed the takedown barrel with slide assembly attached.
2. removed the trigger assembly.
3. removed the ejector spring.
4. removed the cartridge cut off bar.
5. repositioned the breach bolt retaining lever.
6. removed the bolt assembly.
That is as far as I was comfortable with since I have not cleaned one since 1968. even then I never went past this level of disassembly. I cleaned all the parts and the barrel, lubed them and reassembled.
The first assemble the unit functioned Ok but had to fiddle some to get it to eject (open) after pulling the trigger. (did not do this before cleaning)
I removed the parts saw no issues so reassembled them and cycled it again. This time the bolt stuck open and I had a devil of a time getting it apart.
To my knowledge, I am missing no parts. Assembly was opposite of disassembly. including repositioning the breach bolt retaining lever

Anyone experienced in a 1912 able to assist me in reassembly and or determining if (visually) something is amiss or missing?
I have informed my daughter and son in law this is best left on the wall though it will be functional it would not be reliable enough to be considered a home protection tool when a couple hundred will buy a newer and reliable 2 3/4 or 3" unit.
I believe it is shoot able however it has little value in its warn out condition.so putting bucks into it is not a good idea even if they had the money. It uses 2 1/2 inch shells which are a premium if you can find them, Agula mini's are a good possibility but their almost as elusive an 2 1/2 inchers. a very good condition model 12 with blueing complete is in the 375 dollar arena meaning my son in law got next to nothing for the 650 owed him, still it is cool to look at and handle. As an aside, this (Highly NOT recommended) is a slam fireable device and may account for some of its condition beyond its 103 years of age.
Thank you for any advice or help offered.
I live in Beaverton but am willing to travel a little if hands on is offered.
Thank you kindly
IMGP0347.JPG IMGP0349.JPG
IMGP0352.JPG
IMGP0355.JPG IMGP0357.JPG

IMGP0361.JPG IMGP0363.JPG

I guess I spoke too soon. I could pull the age card but instead am going with the 102 degrees in my shop is messing with my brain. I took it down to the basement for some cool time and assembled it right up.
For anyone interested, the following things discovered and recalled simultaneously were:
1. The leading edge of the Cartridge cut off bar needs to be engaged in the notch provided on the receiver before the plug on the bar engages the hole on the receiver. (I don't know why it just does)
2. The bolt needs to be held forward( since it is under spring tension) when installing the trigger assembly.
3. Trigger needs to be cocked! Duh!!!
Hope I didn't waste anyone's time reading this.

BS! That's what ball-peen hammers, files, and center punches are for.... a hack-saw comes in handy, too! :D
I get the humor but unfortunately I've known more than a few that subscribe to the "if it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer" theory. While that may work for log cabins, they may not be so happy with the outcome if someone works on their pocket watch that way.

I just got back from a trip out of town and saw this thread. I love the old M12s and I have several. I'm glad you got the old girl back together.... it does look like she's been used and abused a bit over the years.... but then again, so have I :eek:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top